Topic: On practical freedom.

I'm definining freedom here as the ability to do what one wants, as long as that isn't interfering with someone elses ability to do what they want, and so on...  Can we, practically in this day and age, achieve freedom? Freedom from a shitty job, freedom from parental, and peer pressures, freedom from bullshit? Is it possible today?

Major hurdles:

• Peer/Parental Pressures

• Government regulations

• Need for Jobs

Can these be overcome? Because I'm not sure they can. I'm reluctant to agree with the common saying people spout at me when I keep bringing this subject up, and I'm paraphrasing here: "Living, is being forced into a form of life-long compulsory imprisonment." But, I really haven't found an alternative, or at least I haven't found one that would work without like 20 people who are willing to dive off-the deep end abandon the modern life style.

2 (edited by Vatman 2012-11-06 05:13:25)

Re: On practical freedom.

As much as I despise the way modern society does away with personal freedoms.

You at this very moment are quite free. You can absolutely become a mountain man living off the skill of your own two hands.

Now freedom from a job? Well that's an entirely different matter. If you have no need for anything money can buy, then you don't really need a job. To say though that you are entitled to the benefits that a job provides  by simply being free is another thing entirely.

I don't see anything wrong with becoming apart of the human unit, that progressive force of work ethic that has pushed humanity so far so quickly. It's scary though, looking forward to lunch breaks and long weekends. I wonder though, are we worse off?

Some Cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.

To say though that you are entitled to the benefits that a job provides  by simply being free is another thing entirely.

Exactly. That's the problem right there. No one is entitled to anything they don't earn, but in order to earn it you have to give up so much that it's borderline not worth it.

Here's an if statement: 

if (life > nothing)
  print (life is good)
else if (life neutral)
  print (borderline not worth it)
else
  print (not worth it)

Where when someone has to have a shitty job the output is going to be neutral or not worth it.

You at this very moment are quite free. You can absolutely become a mountain man living off the skill of your own two hands.

I'd argue that that existence could be worse than having a shit job lol. Maybe not, but it seems pretty dull to me.

So the problem is basically: How can one earn a comfortable living while still retaining enough time to do what they want? When I mentioned the 20-people thing I was specifically talking about creating some sort of collectively paid for co-op apartment building type thing where living is really cheap and people could reduce the amount of money they need to comfortably live life. Or something. But that seems really difficult. It's like there's no feasable way to live on your own terms anymore.

Becoming a nomad is always an option, since you'd gain a huge amount of freedom. However, free time would be nearly non-existent, since you'd have to constantly search for sustenance, and constantly be on the move.

The homesteading life described by Thoreau seems like a decent balance of the modern world and the old ways, but thanks to Manifest Destiny, every property is taxed.

In regards to your question about freedom from paternal and peer pressures, the answer is probably a firm no. You know of the vicious cycle of the status quo, where information that supports the ruling class is seen as the "socially acceptable" aspects of pop culture. If we could somehow create a world where all viewpoints were taken into ridicule-free consideration, then maybe. For now, it just seems like a utopian fantasy.

I am not attracted to the right angles or to the straight line, hard and inflexible, created by man. I am attracted to free-flowing, sensual curves. The curves that I find in the mountains of my country, in the sinuousness of its rivers, in the waves of the ocean and on the body of a beloved woman... - Oscar Niemeyer

http://i.imgur.com/sWe0ITL.jpg?2