Dank n Edgy

The dorkest, edgist forums known to puny hoomans

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to DnE, the online psych facility. (Run by the inmates, for the inmates.)

#1 2012-12-31 22:28:50

sloth
WITNESS ME

DIY projects you plan to do or have done

I am currently working on two DIY projects:

1. An electrical short longboard for fast driving around the village :->
2. An awesome weapon: A coilgun

For number 2, I already have some more specifications on how I want to do this shit.
First of all, I'll use a 400v, 2700 µF capacitator. Already have it here, though it is not loaded. This thing is no fucking joke! Touch both ends and you will most probably die or get serious injuries. A friend of mine once touched a not fully disloaded cap, and he doesn't feel shit in his hand now. As if the nerv for pain in that hand was just like..burned away or something.
Second, as projectile, I will use 6mm steel BB's. Though they might not have the best magnetic specifications, they are easy to obtain and high in quantity.
I am not sure about the coil itself, I have wait until my dad gets his 3D printer finished. Then I can make a coil creation apparatus, cause yes, I am lazy. I have to calculate how big the wire must be and how much rings I have to put around the plastic (lol yeah) barrel. Once the coil is done, there is still the problem of...how do I sent the impulse right? If it powers to long, the magnetic field draws back the projectile a bit. If it powers to short, the projectile isn't accelerated to its full extent. Both unwanted scenarios.

I have a luger rifle scope for paintball here, it kinda works and will be for aiming this beast. The outerior will also be plasic housing. I'll print it from the 3D printer (can print big parths with that badass thing). Therefor, I'll need plans in a specific file format. It can be created with google sketch or blender, meh.

So now imagine I have the Coil and the whole shooting thing in place, how do I charge the cap? Not easy, I am not well informed about that (thanks for nothing, physics teachers!). If it should work though one day, you'll get an AWESOME vid of a greatly engineered CG. I hope that it will have high range and will be strong enough for ... let's say a quarter of a woodstump.

I'd never shoot this thing with electronics near me hence it will propbably create a strong magnetic field, and maybe even some EMP like shit. Though I'll dive deaper into that knowledgeable pleasure.

3. What kind of projects do you guys do in your spare time?

Hindsight is always 20/20.

God wrote:

A surprising amount of insight can be gleamed from sitting on the toilet. More concerning, however, is the amount of nostalgia. neutral

When in doubt, move north. God bless suomi.

#2 2012-12-31 22:32:10

loon_attic
Banned

Re: DIY projects you plan to do or have done

I've done a small portable guitar amplifier... and that's about it.
I wanna control lights with my voice with a Raspberry Pi.

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

#3 2012-12-31 22:43:53

sloth
WITNESS ME

There should be voice control software for linux...afaik the Raspi can have debian?

God wrote:

A surprising amount of insight can be gleamed from sitting on the toilet. More concerning, however, is the amount of nostalgia. neutral

#4 2012-12-31 22:48:20

loon_attic
Banned

Yesh, raspbian is its debian distro. It shouldn't be too hard, except for the hardware side.
I'll need some kind of solid state relay thing that won't blow up. I need to make it pulse to regulate light brightness, SOMEHOW.
Maybe through software/GPIO, if it's fast enough.

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

#5 2013-01-01 00:37:59

sloth
WITNESS ME

Connect relay via GPIO. Instant success.

God wrote:

#6 2013-01-01 00:43:17

loon_attic
Banned

aCol wrote:

Connect relay via GPIO. Instant success.

yesh but must find relay.

sloth wrote:

#7 2013-01-01 02:34:16

Maelstrom
Gagiit

I've made about five pounds of gunpowder by hand, and plan on creating a forge for future smithing projects.

I am not attracted to the right angles or to the straight line, hard and inflexible, created by man. I am attracted to free-flowing, sensual curves. The curves that I find in the mountains of my country, in the sinuousness of its rivers, in the waves of the ocean and on the body of a beloved woman... - Oscar Niemeyer

sWe0ITL.jpg?2

#8 2013-01-01 02:38:43

loon_attic
Banned

Maelstrom wrote:

I've made about five pounds of gunpowder by hand, and plan on creating a forge for future smithing projects.

I always wanted to do that. That's fucking awesome.

sloth wrote:

#9 2013-01-01 12:32:15

sloth
WITNESS ME

Maelstrom wrote:

I want access to the forge. I've done smithing once, but paying 70€ or what not per hour to forge shit is too much...
Gunpower is also awesome, what you gonna do with it? Be careful with it though.

God wrote:

#10 2013-01-01 14:03:31

Maelstrom
Gagiit

Thanks guys. My dad is a bit of an avid collector of British history, and has quite a few weapons from Boer and Revolutionary wars. Since he owns a musket made in 1763, I'm trying to get some iron ores from the local area to melt into tiny balls. Once that's done, I'll have musket balls, and might put on a presentation for the local forts. My hometown is just a few minutes away from Fort George, a British base that was utilized in the War of 1812, when you guys tried to take over Canada. The staff there loved it when people put on presentations for tourists, and they're rather fond of weapons smiths.

Of course, there's still the question of whether such an old gun will still operate.

I am not attracted to the right angles or to the straight line, hard and inflexible, created by man. I am attracted to free-flowing, sensual curves. The curves that I find in the mountains of my country, in the sinuousness of its rivers, in the waves of the ocean and on the body of a beloved woman... - Oscar Niemeyer

sWe0ITL.jpg?2

#11 2013-01-01 14:29:04

sloth
WITNESS ME

Fixate it onto a wooden block before you shoot it. You wouldn't want the barrel to blow up in your hand.

God wrote:

#12 2013-01-01 21:00:17

loon_attic
Banned

Maelstrom wrote:

Of course, there's still the question of whether such an old gun will still operate.

It'd be really badass if it did.

sloth wrote:

#13 2013-01-01 23:47:34

Fish20
sea creature
Website

Turning an old laptop into an arcade cabinet yh

There are no clear way to learn it unlike html and css who are actually funny to learn and explore.

Quotes:

sloth wrote:

Hold your head down and you won't get hurt. You'll get exploited, abused and spit on, but hey at least you're safe. Fuck that. I have one life to live, and I'll live it my fucking way. Go on. Stand in my way. See what happens. See what happens when a good guy snaps.

sloth wrote:

There are cemetery for living people. They are called "cubicles". And "assembly line". And "McDonalds". And any other full of shit job you can think about. It's where you are dying every day so you can live on a few select days of your life. If you're not to powered out from working.

loon_attic wrote:

everything is shit and people love it because they're hipster masochists or something

absentinsomniac wrote:

she said to eat her out w/ an ice curbe but nah goodnight lol

#14 2015-09-25 01:07:48

Fish20
sea creature
Website

Fish20 wrote:

Turning an old laptop into an arcade cabinet yh

Not using a laptop, but I got an old lethal enforcers cabinet and 400 dollars worth of PC parts. Using GameEx, MAME, Tatio Type X2 loader, Demul, and others.

There are no clear way to learn it unlike html and css who are actually funny to learn and explore.

Quotes:

sloth wrote:

Hold your head down and you won't get hurt. You'll get exploited, abused and spit on, but hey at least you're safe. Fuck that. I have one life to live, and I'll live it my fucking way. Go on. Stand in my way. See what happens. See what happens when a good guy snaps.

sloth wrote:

There are cemetery for living people. They are called "cubicles". And "assembly line". And "McDonalds". And any other full of shit job you can think about. It's where you are dying every day so you can live on a few select days of your life. If you're not to powered out from working.

loon_attic wrote:

everything is shit and people love it because they're hipster masochists or something

absentinsomniac wrote:

she said to eat her out w/ an ice curbe but nah goodnight lol

#15 2015-09-25 03:54:50

loon_attic
Banned

Bhutanese bow is simple and is something I should've done with that random ass bamboo cane I had when I was 10 or 9 or whatever
mighttttt make a pvc bow
hmm
idk

sloth wrote:

#16 2015-09-25 04:31:54

brainiac3397
Machiavellian Amoeba

spandex string perhaps?

"Creepy crazy fucking idiot Nr. 873894532"-aCol

Wes wrote:

^^ funny
this guy
the most well written and verbose shitposter on the internet

#17 2015-09-25 05:18:48

loon_attic
Banned

pvc is pretty supple if not uv-damaged
u wot m8

sloth wrote:

#18 2015-09-25 05:32:57

brainiac3397
Machiavellian Amoeba

A quick google search seems to indicate no attempts. Might as well see how it works (I say that because im having the damndest time obtaining detailed specifications of spandex including strength)

"Creepy crazy fucking idiot Nr. 873894532"-aCol

Wes wrote:

^^ funny
this guy
the most well written and verbose shitposter on the internet

#19 2015-09-25 05:52:53

RammsteinFearFactory
A new era has begun.

Does my 0% done acoustic album count as a project?

I intend on writing about my college experience and how much coffee I've had to drink lately.

a.

#20 2015-09-25 09:47:59

Sharpie
Administrator

What are you building a house for? For yourself to live in or sumthing else?

#21 2015-09-25 10:45:23

weland
The grumpy town drunk
Website

Ha. I'm going to post my list here so that you people can lazy shame me when I slack off. Here it goes.

1. A Gopher server. What? Yes, of course the world needs another one!
2. A Z80-based computer. With a front panel and switches, because real computers have front panels with switches and lights.
3. A laser-based musical instrument, something akin to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnVIQe6O1zA .
4. A small flying machine. Won't be a quadcopter, although I might build one as well in the first iteration. Those are terribly inefficient and exist only because DIY hipster kids can't be bothered to learn fluid dynamics.

there's an always-in-the-making operating system around here, too, but that's something that's impossible to ever finish so I won't add it.

Last edited by weland (2015-09-25 12:40:41)

Studies show that learning exotic programming languages like Haskell, LISP/Scheme accelerates neckbeard & facial hair growth.

#22 2015-09-25 13:52:07

absentinsomniac
Administrator

Only network/software things

Fucc

#23 2015-09-25 19:44:12

weland
The grumpy town drunk
Website

It's not the most pleasant CPU to program, but it's certainly the most convenient to develop this kind of stuff against. Easy to find, a lot of components can still be found because Z180 is still a thing, clock generator can literally be a push button and a Schmitt trigger.

A 6809 would be a lot nicer but it's a little harder to find those in China and I don't have much experience with it outside emulators .

Studies show that learning exotic programming languages like Haskell, LISP/Scheme accelerates neckbeard & facial hair growth.

#24 2015-09-25 20:40:15

Chanku
Some broke fucker

For me, I wouldn't mind building a little drone thingy, would be fun to dick around with.

Board footer