Dank n Edgy

The dorkest, edgist forums known to puny hoomans

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to DnE, the online psych facility. (Run by the inmates, for the inmates.)

#1 2012-06-22 03:39:24

TheWake
Illuminatus Sacerdos

Why women makeless money than men

It's not sex-based discrimination by employers:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EK6Y1X_xa4[/video]

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

WsEkePS.png

#2 2012-06-23 15:41:20

batboy138
Baldilocks
Website

Re: Why women makeless money than men

I support equal pay for equal work.

"There's no 'I' in 'Team'". Yeah, but there is a "Me" in "Team" spelled backwards!

#3 2012-06-24 02:40:57

TheWake
Illuminatus Sacerdos

What constitutes equal work? Who decides what equal work means?

Are other factors not important to pay? Seniority and experience, for instance? A person who just started a job might have "equal work" to a person who has been there for years. The person who's been there for years might get payed more.

Due to the nature of female employment, women take more breaks in their careers for child rearing. They simply don't advance the way men do. As the video stated, women that never have kids generally come out comparably to men in their salaries.

WsEkePS.png

#4 2012-06-24 03:20:56

Aya
Sweet Tits

I've suspected this as well especially being in IT. Women complain about pay inequality yet they're largely absent in the high paying STEM (Science Tech Engineering & Math) fields & jobs. The only exception to that is nursing & allied Heath. I think the statistic is that 60% of al degrees go to women, but only 15% of STEM grads are women. That's a horrible disparity, and it's one you can't blame on men.

#5 2012-06-25 03:34:26

TheWake
Illuminatus Sacerdos

Aya wrote:

I've suspected this as well especially being in IT. Women complain about pay inequality yet they're largely absent in the high paying STEM (Science Tech Engineering & Math) fields & jobs. The only exception to that is nursing & allied Heath. I think the statistic is that 60% of al degrees go to women, but only 15% of STEM grads are women. That's a horrible disparity, and it's one you can't blame on men.

I really wonder what the underlying causes of women not going into those fields is? It just doesn't make sense, logically, to do that.

WsEkePS.png

#6 2012-06-25 03:52:52

OG-Kirby

Wes wrote:

I really wonder what the underlying causes of women not going into those fields is? It just doesn't make sense, logically, to do that.

Sowell points out in the video that women generally choose careers that do not become obsolete quickly. Spending a few years away from a technical field (such as for raising kids) will likely make anybody's training and education useless.

#7 2012-06-25 04:32:02

TheWake
Illuminatus Sacerdos

OG-Kirby wrote:
Wes wrote:

Sowell points out in the video that women generally choose careers that do not become obsolete quickly. Spending a few years away from a technical field (such as for raising kids) will likely make anybody's training and education useless.

Shit. I should rewatch my own video.

WsEkePS.png

#8 2012-06-25 04:40:12

Aya
Sweet Tits

OG-Kirby wrote:
Wes wrote:

Not as quickly as you might think. You also have to remember that STEM, especially IT has a lot more flexibility than other fields. If I get knocked up I can work from home during the last trimester, take a short maternity leave, then continue work from home for the next 3-4 months while I get ready to head back into the office.

#9 2012-06-25 04:56:17

OG-Kirby

Aya wrote:

Not as quickly as you might think. You also have to remember that STEM, especially IT has a lot more flexibility than other fields. If I get knocked up I can work from home during the last trimester, take a short maternity leave, then continue work from home for the next 3-4 months while I get ready to head back into the office.

It could be that women who might go into STEM are unaware of the things you describe, or don't want to do them. I don't have any statistics either way so this is just speculation.

#10 2012-06-25 05:30:53

SaintVicious
Jewing Intensifies

Aya wrote:
OG-Kirby wrote:
Wes wrote:

Who could possibly knock you up *eyeroll*

#11 2012-07-18 20:34:56

Paszkiewicz

self-bias too good

an appointment with the dmv is still too damn long

however i pass written, drive in few weeks

#12 2012-07-18 21:19:09

Gjelosh Shqipënia

I've known for a while that the disparity in pay between genders is explainable without sexism in most cases. I am sure it happens, however it is rare and no cause for alarm at all.

g677957198_zpsfc50966d.gif

#13 2012-07-22 17:31:08

Kaza999

Oh wow, look at the male privilege up in here.

I'm sorry, being paid less for doing the same job is unacceptable, even if you do get pregnant.  You guys would consider it unfair if a man had to stop working for nine months because of an illness, and didn't get paid.

Also, keep in mind that women are not pregnant all the time.  The fact that many women have nine months of a year or two where they are absent from their job does not account for the disparity between women's and men's wages.

#14 2012-07-22 17:35:47

batboy138
Baldilocks
Website

>compairing pregnancy to illness

fail

"There's no 'I' in 'Team'". Yeah, but there is a "Me" in "Team" spelled backwards!

#15 2012-07-22 18:40:12

Kaza999

It renders you incapacitated for nine months.  They are comparable.  At the very least, they are comparable by the standards of most employers.

Last edited by Kaza999 (2012-07-22 18:40:50)

#16 2012-07-22 19:10:26

RAWN PAW

Kaza999 wrote:

It renders you incapacitated for nine months.  They are comparable.  At the very least, they are comparable by the standards of most employers.

You can't prevent most illnesses. It only takes birth control, something extremely cheap in developed countries, to prevent pregnancy. Not to mention, illness usually only lasts for a few days and employers can afford that much more readily than nine months with no output.

#17 2012-07-22 21:40:24

Aya
Sweet Tits

Kaza999 wrote:

No actually they're not. Most women can and will work through most of their pregnancies. It's the 8th & 9th months that women take maternity leaves.

Also not every employer offers long term sick leave. In fact legally, most employers are only required to hold onto your job for six months, and only a fraction of that is paid sick time. so it would be perfectly legal for an employer to fire a sick man after a 9 month battle with illness and pay him absolutely shit.

P.S. I'm a woman, and I have a career in a tech firm. So take your 'male privilege' banner and shove it up your overly sensitive cunt.

Last edited by Aya (2012-07-22 21:43:15)

#18 2012-07-22 21:42:59

Gjelosh Shqipënia

Kaza999 wrote:

I'm sorry, being paid less for doing the same job is unacceptable, even if you do get pregnant.  You guys would consider it unfair if a man had to stop working for nine months because of an illness, and didn't get paid.

Also, keep in mind that women are not pregnant all the time.  The fact that many women have nine months of a year or two where they are absent from their job does not account for the disparity between women's and men's wages.

Actually someone who is out of work for nearly a year from sickness would be behind someone who worked straight through healthy.

This is not male privilage.

g677957198_zpsfc50966d.gif

#19 2012-07-23 01:32:55

TheWake
Illuminatus Sacerdos

Kaza999 wrote:

The thing is it's not the same jobs that account for the difference, it's more that men and women go for different fields and the ones men go into are more unfriendly to pregnancy, but are more competitive, dynamic, and higher paying.

WsEkePS.png

Board footer