Topic: Continuity of your existence.

Would you...

1. be willing to go through a transporter? Some device that transported you from one place in space to another (through some kind of quantum entanglement process I guess).

2. be okay with uploading your memories and personality to another body/computer? In the process, your old body will become a lifeless sack of meat, essentially dead.

RIP in peace all soldiers of the 2014 Purge

~ 7/23/2014 Never Forget ~

Re: Continuity of your existence.

Is this after death?

Where would option 1 even take me? How would anyone benefit from it?

I like option 2. As long as no one haxors the robot or shit I can never again be killedededededededd

a.

Re: Continuity of your existence.

No and no.

Now, if my brain could be scanned and copied, I'd be more than happy with number 2. Then I could go on with my life while a copy of me existed in virtual world forever. Number 2 is kinda dumb anyway since uploading would only require copying, so why would I need to die? The fallacy is thinking this provides us with true immortality. It doesn't.

Number 1 is no because teleportation literally kills a person. If I'm ripped apart and then rearranged somewhere else then, basically, I've been copied and the original destroyed. The actual me is dead. Kinda creepy to think about it (but the new copy of me won't know this and would perceive life as if it had always been me, right).

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

https://i.imgur.com/WsEkePS.png

Re: Continuity of your existence.

Thing is, if your personality and memories were uploaded, it wouldn't be you experiencing that continued existence. It'd be a clone of you.

What about being cryogenic freezing, or placing my brain (assuming it's the organs that are fubar, not the brain) in a vat so I can be in a virtual world forever, but experiencing it?

a.

Re: Continuity of your existence.

I think brain in a vat would be ok, but I'd want to be reassured my brain could be maintained and wouldn't age and die.

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

https://i.imgur.com/WsEkePS.png

Re: Continuity of your existence.

Wes wrote:

I think brain in a vat would be ok, but I'd want to be reassured my brain could be maintained and wouldn't age and die.

The fancy liquid in the jar is meant to stop that though.

a.

Re: Continuity of your existence.

RammsteinFearFactory wrote:
Wes wrote:

I think brain in a vat would be ok, but I'd want to be reassured my brain could be maintained and wouldn't age and die.

The fancy liquid in the jar is meant to stop that though.

Then after we've developed sufficiently advanced biotech, I can have a new body grown around my brain, and do it ALL OVER AGAIN.

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

https://i.imgur.com/WsEkePS.png

Re: Continuity of your existence.

I always figured, if this shit was going to happen to me I'd want little robotic organisms to slowly replace braincells in my body until I'm completely robotic. You literally could become a different body without going unconscious. In that case, would you really be "dead" and there's just a new one?


See, we don't know what consciousness is really. Like, we know it's biological / electrical shit going on, but what really constitutes "me". All of the cells in your body get replaced every x amount of years anyway.


How about, every time you go to sleep and wake up, is it the same consciousness?

Re: Continuity of your existence.

Oh no I'm already ded.

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

https://i.imgur.com/WsEkePS.png

Re: Continuity of your existence.

Wes wrote:

No and no.

Now, if my brain could be scanned and copied, I'd be more than happy with number 2. Then I could go on with my life while a copy of me existed in virtual world forever. Number 2 is kinda dumb anyway since uploading would only require copying, so why would I need to die? The fallacy is thinking this provides us with true immortality. It doesn't.

Number 1 is no because teleportation literally kills a person. If I'm ripped apart and then rearranged somewhere else then, basically, I've been copied and the original destroyed. The actual me is dead. Kinda creepy to think about it (but the new copy of me won't know this and would perceive life as if it had always been me, right).

#2 makes sense because currently, the only way to copy the brain with a high enough resolution to show how all the cells are networked is to cut it into slices and run those under a microscope to produce a stack of images with which to build a model.

and yes to both

Re: Continuity of your existence.

http://www.librarything.com/series/Take … acs+novels these books have the same concept of this thread. Its a pretty neat idea and yes and yes

Re: Continuity of your existence.

number 2 is called transcendence

Re: Continuity of your existence.

Potato wrote:
Wes wrote:

No and no.

Now, if my brain could be scanned and copied, I'd be more than happy with number 2. Then I could go on with my life while a copy of me existed in virtual world forever. Number 2 is kinda dumb anyway since uploading would only require copying, so why would I need to die? The fallacy is thinking this provides us with true immortality. It doesn't.

Number 1 is no because teleportation literally kills a person. If I'm ripped apart and then rearranged somewhere else then, basically, I've been copied and the original destroyed. The actual me is dead. Kinda creepy to think about it (but the new copy of me won't know this and would perceive life as if it had always been me, right).

#2 makes sense because currently, the only way to copy the brain with a high enough resolution to show how all the cells are networked is to cut it into slices and run those under a microscope to produce a stack of images with which to build a model.

and yes to both

Eww. Let them do it after I've died of natural causes. That's clearly not immortality, and I couldn't be more against the idea some copy of me is gonna live forever on a server at the expense of real me in real life being fucked over.

I just don't see why you'd wanna risk this shit. I don't like the idea of dying. Black abyss is creepy, yo.

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

https://i.imgur.com/WsEkePS.png

Re: Continuity of your existence.

You people seem like you'd be interested in Transhumanism. It's slowly becoming a political movement with techno-progressive parties and shit.

a.

Re: Continuity of your existence.

dude have you seen transcendence? once you're uploaded all you have to do is to get someone to connect you to the internet and then you're pretty much god

Re: Continuity of your existence.

Potato wrote:

dude have you seen transcendence? once you're uploaded all you have to do is to get someone to connect you to the internet and then you're pretty much god

The dead you? With brain destroyed?

Then it's not you who is God. It's your clone. You don't get to experience shit.

a.

Re: Continuity of your existence.

>transhumanism
>political movement

lolwut??? Although I know several political movements have latched onto the idea (libertarians, for one), I can't see how it in and of itself could ever constitute one.

I'm definitely down for advancement in this arena, but I think there's only so far I'm willing to go. We all already know how unprivate our social lives have become due to the affects of the internet. The government has satellites that can take pictures of us from space. I'm not sure I could ever endorse letting them put technomagic shit in my head, and eliminate the one place Big Brother can't get to.

Improve me all you want in every other arena, but I prefer my silly, unnetworked monkey brain.

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

https://i.imgur.com/WsEkePS.png

18 (edited by Potato 2014-07-25 08:12:25)

Re: Continuity of your existence.

RammsteinFearFactory wrote:
Potato wrote:

dude have you seen transcendence? once you're uploaded all you have to do is to get someone to connect you to the internet and then you're pretty much god

The dead you? With brain destroyed?

Then it's not you who is God. It's your clone. You don't get to experience shit.

by that logic, your 5 year old self is dead and didn't get to experience shit, because most of the atoms that made up your body has been replaced, the structure of you brain has undergone change. you don't act like your 5 year old self, and you're not made of the same stuff as your 5 year-old self. molecules and memories are constantly being replaced, death and rebirth in that sense is unavoidable

Re: Continuity of your existence.

Desu wrote:

Would you...

1. be willing to go through a transporter? Some device that transported you from one place in space to another (through some kind of quantum entanglement process I guess).

2. be okay with uploading your memories and personality to another body/computer? In the process, your old body will become a lifeless sack of meat, essentially dead.

1. for teleporting? w0w clones of me cool
if it's been shown to work at least 99.99999% even if 'my original' gets destroyed painlessly and it's free sure

2. if i'm in the beginning phases of Alzheimer's, yeah, whatever.
Otherwise, I'll wait.

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

Re: Continuity of your existence.

Potato wrote:
RammsteinFearFactory wrote:
Potato wrote:

dude have you seen transcendence? once you're uploaded all you have to do is to get someone to connect you to the internet and then you're pretty much god

The dead you? With brain destroyed?

Then it's not you who is God. It's your clone. You don't get to experience shit.

by that logic, your 5 year old self is dead and didn't get to experience shit, because most of the atoms that made up your body has been replaced, the structure of you brain has undergone change. you don't act like your 5 year old self, and you're not made of the same stuff as your 5 year-old self. molecules and memories are constantly being replaced, death and rebirth in that sense is unavoidable

But I still have a continued conscience, yes? If that clone is made of me, and it's not all naturale and shizzle, will I see darkness/afterlife/deity place forever?

a.

Re: Continuity of your existence.

you are the sum of electrical impulses and memories you dumb faggot.

Re: Continuity of your existence.

SaintVicious wrote:

you are the sum of electrical impulses and memories you dumb faggot.

Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to strawberry fields. Nothing is real, and nothing to get hung about.


Strawberry Fields forever.

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

https://i.imgur.com/WsEkePS.png

Re: Continuity of your existence.

Assuming the transporter has been kind of tested I would. Also, I want a mechanical body instead of this rotten and stinking flesh one.

If it's setup with incremental backups, RAID, ZFS and a giant cluster, even better.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

God wrote:

A surprising amount of insight can be gleamed from sitting on the toilet. More concerning, however, is the amount of nostalgia. neutral



When in doubt, move north. God bless suomi.

Re: Continuity of your existence.

A mechanical body that can do everything useful a flesh one can and last over 80 years, and something better than hard drives would be really nice.
I think we have a long, long way to go before human brains can be emulated in real time. Much less copying fucking brains to computers, wot. That'd be cool as shit though. Holy fuck.

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

Re: Continuity of your existence.

Just imagine the possibilites if you'd be able to upload your brain to hybrids of Quantum and "normal" computers. The processing power we'd have would be enorm.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

God wrote:

A surprising amount of insight can be gleamed from sitting on the toilet. More concerning, however, is the amount of nostalgia. neutral



When in doubt, move north. God bless suomi.