Topic: The Backfire Effect

http://bigthink.com/think-tank/the-back … -arguments

Let's say you're having an argument with a friend about oh, let's say, Obamacare, or even who the best quarterback in the NFL is. You present your friend with a set of facts that you would think would clinch your argument. And yet, while the facts you present clearly contradict your friend's position, you discover that presenting your friend with these facts does nothing to correct his or her false or unsubstantiated belief. In fact, your friend is even more emboldened in his or her belief after being exposed to corrective information.

A group of Dartmouth researchers have studied the problem of the so-called "backfire effect," which is defined as the effect in which "corrections actually increase misperceptions among the group in question."


    "people typically receive corrective information within “objective” news reports pitting two sides of an argument against each other, which is significantly more ambiguous than receiving a correct answer from an omniscient source. In such cases, citizens are likely to resist or reject arguments and evidence contradicting their opinions – a view that is consistent with a wide array of research. "

So when we read a news story that presents both sides of an issue, we simply pick the side we happen to agree with and it reinforces our viewpoint. But what of those individuals who don't simply resist challenges to their views, but who actually come to hold their original opinion even more strongly?

The authors describe the "backfire effect" as a possible result of

   " the process by which people counterargue preference-incongruent information and bolster their preexisting views. If people counterargue unwelcome information vigorously enough, they may end up with 'more attitudinally congruent information in mind than before the debate,' which in turn leads them to report opinions that are more extreme than they otherwise would have had.""

This study goes a long way to explain the state of rational discourse in the country right now. So what can be done? How can you have a more effective discussion with your friend about Obamacare or Peyton Manning?

hurr durr i'm a posturr

Re: The Backfire Effect

That's why to be most intelligent, you have to be willing to give up your opinion, no matter how much you believed it to be true, for the truth.

But it's nice to see this common phenomena to have a name now, I just referred to it as "well humans gonna human." aka being stubborn.

Also I've given up on having 10000 debates with people because not only does it take ages to get data, the data they present to you can be flawed and invalid so you have to go the extra mile and disprove that, with only a 0.1% chance of actually persuading them, to which they'll probably provide more flawed data to disprove, or just simply stop caring and blame illuminati conspiracy government (*cough* my dad *cough*) Oh and God forbid you make one mistake and although it may not disprove your argument, your opponent will use it to discredit you completely in everything you say because you're not reliable.

Re: The Backfire Effect

You pretty much outlined all the reasons why I don't bother speaking up or getting into HUGE INTERNET FIGHTS with people

humanity makes me a mad panda

hurr durr i'm a posturr

Re: The Backfire Effect

I don't argue with people if I want to change their minds, I argue with people in public discourse to change other peoples viewpoints who aren't in the discussion at all... Or at least that's the hope. If someone wants to argue with me directly, I'll usually take that on because they initiated it and I feel like I should defend my view or else it seems like they win by default, and I'm too competitive for that shit. :p


Like I generally don't get into arguments at all afk. <-- huehaue

Re: The Backfire Effect

Humans.

Re: The Backfire Effect

Debating works to change people's minds who are on the fence about things, but it's a waste of time when people are all like "NO YOU"RE WRONG BECAUSE YOU"RE WRONG!!"

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/813/215/366.gif
my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmcMLs … CNoiL7eX1g
my deviantart: http://purpledrank666.deviantart.com/

SS official oldfaf.
fuck SS
"A friend with weed is a friend indeed" -Sharpie

"Honestly censorship Is good though it protects women and children" -Absent

"Not everybody think the free market be like it does, but it do." -white economics man

Re: The Backfire Effect

Sometimes it's even useful to debate people to figure out where there's holes in my own philosophies and shit, which can be adjusted or if they're insurmountable then I can just completely change my mind anyway.

Re: The Backfire Effect

The problem with debating, especially political debating, is that you're arguing against someone's mode of thinking. People with different political ideas think differently and interpret today's world in completely different ways. That doesn't mean they can't be wrong, but it means that regardless of the evidence you present people will still sit there and hold onto their beliefs.

Re: The Backfire Effect

I think we can all agree absent is a bitch nigga

Re: The Backfire Effect

SaintVicious wrote:

I think we can all agree absent is a bitch nigga

I think his views are misguided and he buys into the perpetual male-as-aggressor and female-as-victim narrative, but I wouldn't quite call him a bitch nigga.

Re: The Backfire Effect

Oh I don't think you were here for his maximum spaghetti over taking to a girl@work he bitched out countless times which is why being a bitch nigga is called pulling an absent

Re: The Backfire Effect

hurr durr i'm a posturr

Re: The Backfire Effect

SaintVicious wrote:

I think we can all agree absent is a bitch nigga

i suspect him of being a communist.

Re: The Backfire Effect

Potato wrote:
SaintVicious wrote:

I think we can all agree absent is a bitch nigga

i suspect him of being a communist.

mcarthy.jpeg

nah, he's stated numerous times that he isn't a communist

if i was to personally pin down his ideology i'd link him with some kind of syndicalism

Re: The Backfire Effect

Pussy beggar, is what he is.

"Humanity Is Overrated" - Shrek

Re: The Backfire Effect

V.R. wrote:

Pussy beggar, is what he is.

I have literally never in my life begged for pussy.

Re: The Backfire Effect

absentinsomniac wrote:
V.R. wrote:

Pussy beggar, is what he is.

I have literally never in my life begged for pussy.

buying gf
https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10341989_639985779413968_2853918791928881366_n.jpg?oh=4ff8872411f611ba6976385e2a9c3269&amp;oe=546C4162

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/813/215/366.gif
my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmcMLs … CNoiL7eX1g
my deviantart: http://purpledrank666.deviantart.com/

SS official oldfaf.
fuck SS
"A friend with weed is a friend indeed" -Sharpie

"Honestly censorship Is good though it protects women and children" -Absent

"Not everybody think the free market be like it does, but it do." -white economics man

Re: The Backfire Effect

Or paid for it.


...


Yet ololo.