Dank n Edgy

The dorkest, edgist forums known to puny hoomans

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to DnE, the online psych facility. (Run by the inmates, for the inmates.)

#1 2012-07-02 02:06:13

TheWake
Illuminatus Sacerdos

Worst Founding Father?

I'm talking about America's Founding Fathers, and I'm wondering who you think the worst one is. The Founders were a diverse bunch of individuals, and after the American Revolution they split into different political factions. Many of them were not very different in their opinions from the British that had tried to oppress them just a few years before the Constitution was ratified.

My nominee for worst Founding Father is a man who helped write the Federalist Papers. He served in George Washington's cabinet and was extremely integral to the shaping of America into the present day. This shaping, however, is more insidious than anything else.

Who is this man? None other than Alexander Hamilton, first Secretary of the Treasury of the United States. Mr. Hamilton was an ardent protectionist, advocating higher tariffs on foreign goods coming into America and a national bank. His views ran diametrically opposed to those of men like Thomas Jefferson and James Madison.

I think what was wrong with Hamilton is summed up rather succinctly in this quote from Thomas Jefferson:

"I invited them to dine with me, and after dinner, sitting at our wine, having settled our question, other conversation came on, in which a collision of opinion arose between Mr. Adams and Colonel Hamilton, on the merits of the British Constitution, Mr. Adams giving it as his opinion, that, if some of its defects and abuses were corrected, it would be the most perfect constitution of government ever devised by man. Hamilton, on the contrary, asserted, that with its existing vices, it was the most perfect model of government that could be formed; and that the correction of its vices would render it an impracticable government. And this you May be assured was the real line of difference between the political principles of these two gentlemen. Another incident took place on the same occasion, which will further delineate Mr. Hamilton's political principles. The room being hung around with a collection of the portraits of remarkable men, among them were those of Bacon, Newton and Locke. Hamilton asked me who they were. I told him they were my trinity of the three greatest men the world had ever produced, naming them. He paused for some time: “The greatest man,” said he, “that ever lived, was Julius Caesar.” Mr. Adams was honest as a politician as well as a man; Hamilton honest as a man, but, as a politician, believing in the necessity of either force or corruption to govern men."

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

WsEkePS.png

#2 2012-07-02 02:15:26

RAWN PAW

Re: Worst Founding Father?

Dick.

#3 2012-07-02 03:37:55

HeartofShadows
What do you know of... Cthulhu?

George washington.
He was the first traitor of our country and brought in the first central bank.

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never bothered me a bit."

Mark Twain

#4 2012-07-02 03:50:36

TheWake
Illuminatus Sacerdos

HeartofShadows wrote:

George washington.
He was the first traitor of our country and brought in the first central bank.

I blame Hamilton for the bank. Washington ruled by consensus and Hamilton was in his cabinet. Also, Washington was far from a traitor. He refused to be crowned King of America and was a valiant General.

WsEkePS.png

#5 2012-07-02 03:52:42

SaintVicious
Jewing Intensifies

Adams. guy was a dick.

#6 2012-07-02 03:56:15

TheWake
Illuminatus Sacerdos

SaintVicious wrote:

Adams. guy was a dick.

Why?

WsEkePS.png

#7 2012-07-02 04:00:29

SaintVicious
Jewing Intensifies

Alien and Sedition Acts
Frustrated by supporters of Thomas Jefferson in the press who criticized Adams, the thin-skinned president supported new federal sedition laws targeting anyone making unsubstantiated remarks about a government official.
Nigga be hating on free speech

#8 2012-07-02 04:06:40

TheWake
Illuminatus Sacerdos

SaintVicious wrote:

Alien and Sedition Acts
Frustrated by supporters of Thomas Jefferson in the press who criticized Adams, the thin-skinned president supported new federal sedition laws targeting anyone making unsubstantiated remarks about a government official.
Nigga be hating on free speech

Good point, but I think Hamilton was worse in the long term implications of his ideas.

WsEkePS.png

Board footer