1 (edited by TheWake 2016-03-21 23:04:17)

Topic: what's your Dawkins score?

http://bigthink.com/think-tank/atheism-easter-atheister

Richard Dawkins’ Belief Scale Scoring Rubric

1. Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists.
2. De-facto Theist: I cannot know for certain but I strongly believe in God and I live my life on the assumption that he is there.
3. Weak Theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.
4. Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.
5. Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical.
6. De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumption that he is not there.
7. Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God.

===

Jesus of Nazareth (John 3:16): “For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." score: 1.0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Martin Luther King Jr. "A physical heaven and a physical hell are inconceivable in a Copernican world ... for us immortality will mean a spiritual existence." score: 2.8

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pascal’s Wager (Blaise Pascal): If there is a God, He is infinitely incomprehensible, since, having, neither parts nor limits, He has no affinity to us. We are then incapable of knowing either what He is or if He is. [So] you must wager. Let us weigh the gain and the loss in wagering that God is. Let us estimate these two chances. If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing. Wager then without hesitation that he is.” score: 3.4

Woody Allen: “If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name in a Swiss bank” score: 3.9

Albert Einstein: “Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." score: 4.0

Thomas Jefferson: “Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.” score: 4.2

Mark Twain: “The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it...” score: 4.8

Buddha: Neither deny or accept a creator. score: 5.0

Carl Sagan: “An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone
who knows there is no god. By some definitions atheism is very
stupid” score: 5.5

Richard Dawkins: "On a scale of seven, where one means I know he exists, and seven I know he doesn't, I call myself a six. That doesn't mean I'm absolutely confident, that I absolutely know, because I don't." score 6.0

Christopher Hitchens: “Once you assume a creator and a plan, it makes us objects in a cruel experiment whereby we are created sick and commanded to be well, and over us to supervise this is installed a celestial dictatorship. A kind of divine North Korea.” score: 7.0

I'd place myself a 4.5.

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

https://i.imgur.com/WsEkePS.png

Re: what's your Dawkins score?

"Remember, misery is comfortable. It's why so many people prefer it. Happiness takes effort."

I always think of whatever people think of as god ... he's just a researcher bent over a petri dish. He won't intervene but for his own agenda. He does not much care for us, since in his eyes, we're bacteria.
So if there is a god, and he is greater than us, we're nothing but amoebias to it.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

God wrote:

A surprising amount of insight can be gleamed from sitting on the toilet. More concerning, however, is the amount of nostalgia. neutral

When in doubt, move north. God bless suomi.

Sort of like deism?

"Remember, misery is comfortable. It's why so many people prefer it. Happiness takes effort."

I'm definitely a 6.

"Humanity Is Overrated" - Shrek

I am not denying the possibility of something godlike. But, it's very highly unlikely. So much so, I live like there is not.

I will say if there is, we are in trouble as a species. A powerful badass that wants to wipe out most of our race over petty crap? If true, time to bring out the inter dimensional nukes.

"Creepy crazy fucking idiot Nr. 873894532"-aCol

Wes wrote:

^^ funny
this guy
the most well written and verbose shitposter on the internet

5.5 ish.

I doubt it'd be a petri dish, probably more like a computer simulation.

5.5-6

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

Lel I'm the second lowest score here. Fucking heretics.

If were talking about Christian god, then 7.
If were talking about some sort of creator deity, then 6.

There are no clear way to learn it unlike html and css who are actually funny to learn and explore.

Quotes:

sloth wrote:

Hold your head down and you won't get hurt. You'll get exploited, abused and spit on, but hey at least you're safe. Fuck that. I have one life to live, and I'll live it my fucking way. Go on. Stand in my way. See what happens. See what happens when a good guy snaps.

sloth wrote:

There are cemetery for living people. They are called "cubicles". And "assembly line". And "McDonalds". And any other full of shit job you can think about. It's where you are dying every day so you can live on a few select days of your life. If you're not to powered out from working.

loon_attic wrote:

everything is shit and people love it because they're hipster masochists or something

absentinsomniac wrote:

she said to eat her out w/ an ice curbe but nah goodnight lol

God wrote:

absentinsomniac wrote:

I literally could not hate a group of people more than I hate the people who use darknedgy.net

That anthropolgy class I took last year probably contributed to a higher score. I was like a 3 till I came to the conclusion that 1)humans like to make dramatic stories 2)early humans were few in literacy thus the power lay in the writers, readers, and story-teller 3)there are many commonalities in various religions despite geographic distance

You gotta admit, there's an uncanny number of events and situations in basically every religion.

"Creepy crazy fucking idiot Nr. 873894532"-aCol

Wes wrote:

^^ funny
this guy
the most well written and verbose shitposter on the internet

17 (edited by TheWake 2016-03-22 22:59:24)

current mean of DnE is 5.23.
I counted fish as a 6 and loon as 5.75

19 (edited by Fish20 2016-03-23 06:07:02)

I'm so close to doing 7 cause it seems soooo improbable that there's a god. But like maybe we are some side project a god came up with and then forgot like billions of years ago or he can't be fucked to care to contact any of us lame ass human bitches

There are no clear way to learn it unlike html and css who are actually funny to learn and explore.

Quotes:

sloth wrote:

Hold your head down and you won't get hurt. You'll get exploited, abused and spit on, but hey at least you're safe. Fuck that. I have one life to live, and I'll live it my fucking way. Go on. Stand in my way. See what happens. See what happens when a good guy snaps.

sloth wrote:

There are cemetery for living people. They are called "cubicles". And "assembly line". And "McDonalds". And any other full of shit job you can think about. It's where you are dying every day so you can live on a few select days of your life. If you're not to powered out from working.

loon_attic wrote:

everything is shit and people love it because they're hipster masochists or something

absentinsomniac wrote:

she said to eat her out w/ an ice curbe but nah goodnight lol

muh deism

"Humanity Is Overrated" - Shrek

muh weird inconceivable supernatural shit
that's my 5.5-6, shit is probably weird in a way that is mindblowing
kinda really doubt human religions

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

I'm on 6. 7 seems to require putting a lot of faith into our current view of science, and I don't do faith stuff.

Studies show that learning exotic programming languages like Haskell, LISP/Scheme accelerates neckbeard & facial hair growth.