Topic: Which dubbed "pseudo-philosophy" do you find the most pretentious?

I personally vote LaVeyan Satanism as the most pretentious.

a.

Re: Which dubbed "pseudo-philosophy" do you find the most pretentious?

"pseudo philosophy"

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

https://i.imgur.com/WsEkePS.png

I vote for dialectical materialism

I don't know. Juche or LaVeyan.

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

Anti-intellectuals are strange to me.

"Remember, misery is comfortable. It's why so many people prefer it. Happiness takes effort."

Capitalism.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

God wrote:

A surprising amount of insight can be gleamed from sitting on the toilet. More concerning, however, is the amount of nostalgia. neutral

When in doubt, move north. God bless suomi.

TheWake wrote:

I vote for dialectical materialism

OP, why isn't this on the list? It was the inspiration for "doublethink," ffs.

"Humanity Is Overrated" - Shrek

sloth wrote:

Capitalism.

There are no clear way to learn it unlike html and css who are actually funny to learn and explore.

Quotes:

sloth wrote:

Hold your head down and you won't get hurt. You'll get exploited, abused and spit on, but hey at least you're safe. Fuck that. I have one life to live, and I'll live it my fucking way. Go on. Stand in my way. See what happens. See what happens when a good guy snaps.

sloth wrote:

There are cemetery for living people. They are called "cubicles". And "assembly line". And "McDonalds". And any other full of shit job you can think about. It's where you are dying every day so you can live on a few select days of your life. If you're not to powered out from working.

loon_attic wrote:

everything is shit and people love it because they're hipster masochists or something

absentinsomniac wrote:

she said to eat her out w/ an ice curbe but nah goodnight lol

i added it uehaueheua

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

imblying philosoophy is a phi;losophy

I still don't know what the fuck  Dialectical Materialism is. something something marx engels something. fucking commies

sloth wrote:

marx disproved "knowing" YEARS AGO

He said as he further degraded the conversation on DarknEdgy towards reddit levels of banality

Edit:

Basically, you'll save yourself a lot of time if you just figure out what "dialectic" means, because it shows up in-front of a lot of words and means the same thing usually. Dialectics is basically a method of reasoning that focuses on discourse between two points of view devoid of any uh, bias for any given point of view. Basically, it's the way Plato / Socrates arrived at shit in a lot of that writing. The idea isn't to *convince* someone of an argument, but to get closer and closer to the actual truth. There are different philosophies of how this plays out, usually. The scientific method can be thought of as "dialectic", such that there's a problem, a scientist proposes a theory, that theory is tested from a lot of sides to see if it breaks. Probably the most widely used definition of "dialectic" is Hegal's. A "dialectic triad" of thesis, anti-thesis, and synthesis. Someone proposes a "thesis" and other people propose "antithesis" which go against the thesis, and then eventually you arrive at a synthesis of the two which is better.

"Dialectical materialism" is basically Marx / Engles version of dialectical reasoning about the world, although don't ask for a concrete explanation of it because there fucking isn't one anywhere. People can talk about what it is all they want, but Marx and Engles never actually sat down and wrote a thing on it. They just talked about it in debates and shit, disjointedly. Sort of. It's been extended a lot by people who came after him, as has everything he wrote. People argue over weather these extensions are "legitimate extensions" and shit all the time, too. Kinda gay if ya ask me. It's pretty hard to give a definite definition of what it is. By extension, I'm skeptical of anyone who says it's "definitely wrong" or whatever, because there's many versions of it. Which version are you even talking about? Which thing was it applied to that you disagree with, as it's pretty fucking broad? Etc. It's all pretty much couched in philosophy at base, though. A bunch of faglords like Lenin and a bunch of modern faglords all try to apply it to shit in reality. There's a bunch "tenets" and basic assumptions that it works under that you can kinda pick up by reading a lot of long wordy nonsense if you want, but I don't feel like laying it all out because it's dense and boring.

Natalism :^)

I said anti-intellectualism because it's stupid as shit. Juche is also stupid. Objectivism is harmless. The satanists are harmless. Clericalism is stupid. Anything adopted by soviet communists is stupid. The meditation thing is just some new age rip-off marketed as an exotic asian miracle.

"Creepy crazy fucking idiot Nr. 873894532"-aCol

Wes wrote:

^^ funny
this guy
the most well written and verbose shitposter on the internet

Aspergianism

Anti-intellectualism. Otherwise known as "Redneckphilia". There's nothing more pretentious than trying to be as stupid as possible, and assuming you're better than everybody else because you're dumber than them. Go fork yourselves to death, then go fuck yourselves with various sharp objects, you useless wastes of sperm.

"There's no 'I' in 'Team'". Yeah, but there is a "Me" in "Team" spelled backwards!

absentinsomniac wrote:

Probably the most widely used definition of "dialectic" is Hegal's. A "dialectic triad" of thesis, anti-thesis, and synthesis. Someone proposes a "thesis" and other people propose "antithesis" which go against the thesis, and then eventually you arrive at a synthesis of the two which is better.

Except that Hegel himself never wrote of a triadic dialectic. It was actually Fichte who came up with the thesis-antithesis-synthesis interpretation. For one thing, Hegel didn't envision "antithesis" as an external reaction to "thesis," but rather that every thesis intrinsically embodies its own antithesis.

V.R. wrote:
absentinsomniac wrote:

Probably the most widely used definition of "dialectic" is Hegal's. A "dialectic triad" of thesis, anti-thesis, and synthesis. Someone proposes a "thesis" and other people propose "antithesis" which go against the thesis, and then eventually you arrive at a synthesis of the two which is better.

Except that Hegel himself never wrote of a triadic dialectic. It was actually Fichte who came up with the thesis-antithesis-synthesis interpretation. For one thing, Hegel didn't envision "antithesis" as an external reaction to "thesis," but rather that every thesis intrinsically embodies its own antithesis.

this, also the negation of the negation (not synthesis) implies a sublation of both ideas/material conditions/whatever that goes beyond just combining two seemingly incompatible things or completely destroying either or both

also my least favourite is the effective altruism philosophy of peter singer (peter singer in general is shit and unfortunately reasonably popular in australia)

ha, nerds

Swift wrote:

also my least favourite is the effective altruism philosophy of peter singer (peter singer in general is shit and unfortunately reasonably popular in australia)

Wasn't LessWrong heavily into that shit?

absentinsomniac wrote:

ha, nerds

me

my god i think i'm a fucking anti-intellectual to some extent. not necessarily as in, intellect is bad, but as in it's often painful and undesirable. not that it should be...

sloth wrote:

V.R. wrote:
Swift wrote:

Wasn't LessWrong heavily into that shit?

yeah, but then LessWrong is like a weird cult that no one takes seriously outside of the internet (at least from what i've seen)

Swift wrote:

yeah, but then LessWrong is like a weird cult that no one takes seriously outside of the internet (at least from what i've seen)

LessWrong is basically Tversky & Kahneman's research on prospect theory interspersed with improper metaphors from computer science and quantum mechanics all wrapped in a shell of Bayesian epistemology (Bayes' theorem is practically the fabric of the universe there).

It's fascinating how Yudkowsky managed to make a religion out of what is so pompous yet so shallow.

Less Wrong was partially started by an econ professor from George Mason. Fun facts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hanson

Anyway their IRC channel is cool. I don't think most of the people there appreciate how heavily subjective each person's own universe is though.

Everything on DnE is pure reason. Facts only when you walk through this door.