Dank n Edgy

The dorkest, edgist forums known to puny hoomans

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to DnE, the online psych facility. (Run by the inmates, for the inmates.)

#26 2016-05-31 01:38:55

Fish20
sea creature
Website

Re: Absent's Party / Socializing Advice.

absentinsomniac wrote:

"I'm X and therefore can't do Y", where x is some internal belief about what you are at your core, like "I'm introverted" or "I am shy" or "I'm socially awkward" and where Y is any social thing. This is bullshit. The real reason you are having trouble socially is because you have not worked on improving your social skills. Some people are "born" with more inclination towards socializing or learned it early on. So what? It's not *that* complex of a process. You just need to practice and improve. It takes a while and it's kind of scary, but things worth doing take time and aren't always easy. You should consider committing to improving yourself.

It's not edgy and cool to be unable to talk with other people, it's something that will hold you back. It doesn't make you special. That thing in your head saying it's a bad idea or you're a special snowflake is just another case of "But I'm X I can't do Y". Nonsense. Some people legitimately need a psychologist to start improving. Do that if you really think you need one. I probably would have benefited from one. Probably still could. But I've improved by leaps and bounds since I was a kid, and it was worth it. It takes a long ass time and a lot of conscious work and a bit of reading, but it's worth it.

I have a long way to go but even marginal improvement can take you a long way.

I have improved in the past 2.5 years from completely isolated and having panic attacks for going to school orientation, to being able to talk to some random sketchy looking guy on the street about my shoes.

Used to be introverted to where I felt basically exhausted after being with my friend for a few hours, to being craving social contact after being sick for 2 days.

I'm far from the popular kid at school, but if I was not in an isolated special ed program, I think I would have quite of bit of good acquaintances or even friends.

To be honest a lot of the people around me at school are shitty, but not everyone. I used to think they all were mean or stupid, but a lot of them can be decent.

Keep improving guys.

Last edited by Fish20 (2016-05-31 01:40:29)

There are no clear way to learn it unlike html and css who are actually funny to learn and explore.

Quotes:

sloth wrote:

Hold your head down and you won't get hurt. You'll get exploited, abused and spit on, but hey at least you're safe. Fuck that. I have one life to live, and I'll live it my fucking way. Go on. Stand in my way. See what happens. See what happens when a good guy snaps.

sloth wrote:

There are cemetery for living people. They are called "cubicles". And "assembly line". And "McDonalds". And any other full of shit job you can think about. It's where you are dying every day so you can live on a few select days of your life. If you're not to powered out from working.

loon_attic wrote:

everything is shit and people love it because they're hipster masochists or something

absentinsomniac wrote:

she said to eat her out w/ an ice curbe but nah goodnight lol

#27 2016-05-31 01:43:13

brainiac3397
Machiavellian Amoeba

I don't even know why break eye contact. So weird. Damn childhood conditioning at a religious school messing me up.

"Creepy crazy fucking idiot Nr. 873894532"-aCol

Wes wrote:

^^ funny
this guy
the most well written and verbose shitposter on the internet

#28 2016-05-31 12:05:20

absentinsomniac
Administrator

this song is like an encapsulation of how I things go sometimes

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDd3s02Y66o[/video]

Fucc

#29 2016-06-02 19:51:28

absentinsomniac
Administrator

Asking a girl out is a lot like pulling a band aide off, or jumping into a cold swimming pool. Totally worth it in the end. I literally had one of those moments where you're about to do something that could potentially go really, really badly, and then you just kind of stop thinking for 3 seconds or 30 seconds or whatever, and fucking jump. It reminds me of some of the shady shit I got into when I was younger. Your mind is spinning it's tires, going over how bad it could turn out, trying to convince you how much more comfortable you'll be if you just don't do it, how weird it'll come off to other people, how it's not "appropriate" or conventional, how you're not good enough and why would anyone want you, anyway?, and a series of other racing thoughts persist in trying to prevent you from doing it.

Then, after a certain point, you either don't do it, or you take what feels exactly like a leap of faith. You take a risk based on incomplete information. You're flying blind, your analytical faculties cannot help you, no matter how much you spin your wheels or how much you turn it over in your head. You shut them down for a brief few seconds, and you just do it. It's kind of like a reckless disregard for anything except your singular purpose at that moment. Fuck your anxiety, fuck the "social re-precautions", hell, even fuck the outcome, your sole purpose is to just do this one thing in this moment, and fuck anything before or after it. 

Watch this:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmMFIganRQY[/video]

Even if what happens turns into a "no", which rarely happens (they'll usually just beat around the bush and you can kinda tell she's just not that into you), you get something valuable out of it. You realize, wow, it's not that big of a deal. It is a thing people do, and I'm one of those people. Why *shouldn't* you be allowed to engage in the social world? It's literally just barriers you've created to protect yourself preventing it, nothing external. It's not weird or abnormal or any of that. Nobody outside of middle school is going to seriously look down on you for asking someone out. Hell, they'll probably respect you more for it. The amount of self-doubt and regret and just general bad feelings you'll get from carrying around the burden of a missed opportunity is almost immediately erased, and even if you don't get what you want, you got what you need.

Fucc

#30 2016-06-06 03:06:57

absentinsomniac
Administrator

My summer goal is to improve my ability to conversate. I know exactly how, and I knew it going into this weekend when I hung out with this girl twice, but I couldn't *do* it because I was so anxious. Basically you just have to genuinely take an interest in someone and try to dive down into who they are. Like ask semi-personal stuff and just keep going deeper. That's how you talk to a girl. What I did was ask a question, and listen to the response and then not keep going deeper, because the response wasn't something I expected and I wasn't thinking straight because anxiety and drugs.

weee.

Some people are terrified of awkward silences. I want to be the guy people call up when they get stuck with someone awkward because I'll make it not awkward and bring everyone out of their shell. I want to make people insta-comfortable and familiar with each other. I want to be able to create that vibe.

Fucc

#31 2016-06-17 06:28:03

absentinsomniac
Administrator

this is why showing a lot of weakness around girls you're trying to date or are with is a bad idea like 98 percent of the time

KbhEJB0.png

By that I mean don't lay all your problems on them. don't feel the need to talk about all your shortcomings and failings and insecurities and shit. They don't want to hear that. They want someone who (at least seems like) they know what the fuck they're doing and can lead things.

Normally anyway. Also when you chase people too hard they're going to think you've got no other options which is pretty much a universal turn off (unless you're an attractive girl lol). Even if you're in a relationship if you're jumping in too fast too hard and saying you love them after a week or even two or three weeks you're probably going to make them think you're trying to lock their shit down too soon or they're not ready to dispense with all of their free time. It shows weakness. It turns people off.

Love stories like scott pilgrim vs the world are kinda bullshit. Nobodies going to "take you under their wing" and transform you into this confident person. Girls especially in my experience don't want to have to teach a guy how to not be weak. Or to respect themselves, or get over past relationships. I mean, the whole point of most relationships imo is to help each other grow, but usually people go out with people who they feel are at least as confident as they are or at least as strong.

Fucc

#32 2016-07-06 03:50:42

absentinsomniac
Administrator

I'm playing with the idea that feeling uncomfortable or insecure makes others around you feel uncomfortable. It seems like if you're too caught up in your own head, other people can kind of tell that you're not just being genuine and acting how you feel. I think extroverts and shit kind of just are off the cuff a lot of the time, like they say what they feel, their body language is a representation of how they feel. For those of us who are up in our heads all the damn time it probably comes off as calculated and cold. And when we don't really talk or come across with confidence in the things we say, it's like we're unsure of everything. Uneasy. Uncomfortable. So, probably we can't just "turn off" our thinking so much, but we can make an effort to be more in the moment during conversations. Stop thinking so fucking much, I guess.

Fucc

#33 2016-07-06 04:00:51

absentinsomniac
Administrator

I have the most fun at parties when I get so drunk I no longer care about how people see me. Not caring how other people see me is not the thing that is fun, however. There's a side effect of not caring, and the side effect is that I feel completely comfortable following my every social whim. Want to talk to that girl standing over there? Not even a second thought goes through my mind, I just do it. I just do what I want, the whole night. Want to run up and fuck with my buddy? I just do it. Then he fucks with me back. Maybe we get into a competition to see who can punch each other until the other gives up. It'll hurt in the morning, but the morning isn't my concern. The future isn't a concern. Fuck the future, we're living *now*.

So that kind of ties into the previous post. I'm trying to find a way to get into the zone, to just do shit spontaneously more. I'm so caught up in my head that I calculate every fucking thing I do socially. Why? It makes people more uncomfortable and it's less genuine. It's way less fun. It slows you down and makes you less happy. Fuck that. I mean, I still follow certain social norms that I've drilled into my head. Like I know instinctively almost that I shouldn't cross my arms to make myself more comfortable. I've been practicing keeping open body language for over a month now, and it's coming pretty naturally now. I don't go up and grab some chicks ass because that's obviously something that crosses a line. But within the bounds of good social behavior, why shouldn't I talk to whoever I want? Why shouldn't I do what I want? That's the essence of a party, people letting loose and having genuine shared experiences. It's about having fun. If you're not having fun you're doing it wrong.

Fucc

#34 2016-07-06 05:20:17

Fish20
sea creature
Website

absentinsomniac wrote:

Watch this:

that movie sucked absent be ashamed

There are no clear way to learn it unlike html and css who are actually funny to learn and explore.

Quotes:

sloth wrote:

Hold your head down and you won't get hurt. You'll get exploited, abused and spit on, but hey at least you're safe. Fuck that. I have one life to live, and I'll live it my fucking way. Go on. Stand in my way. See what happens. See what happens when a good guy snaps.

sloth wrote:

There are cemetery for living people. They are called "cubicles". And "assembly line". And "McDonalds". And any other full of shit job you can think about. It's where you are dying every day so you can live on a few select days of your life. If you're not to powered out from working.

loon_attic wrote:

everything is shit and people love it because they're hipster masochists or something

absentinsomniac wrote:

#35 2016-07-06 05:30:33

absentinsomniac
Administrator

I mean it did kind of suck. I hadn't watched it when I posted that. But it's still pretty good advice. Although sometimes it spectacularly fails, but nobody blames anyone for it I don't think. You know. I don't know mate.

Fucc

#36 2016-07-06 05:33:22

Fish20
sea creature
Website

no one knows bro

Quotes:

sloth wrote:

sloth wrote:

loon_attic wrote:

absentinsomniac wrote:

#37 2016-07-07 04:05:46

absentinsomniac
Administrator

One of the big things I learned probably before most people did, it seems, is that girls and guys can choose to date whoever they want and nobody owes you shit and you don't owe anybody shit. Just because you're nice to a girl or go out of your way or something doesn't mean she has to date you, or give a fuck about you at all. If you're being nice at best she's obligated to be congenial back. Beyond that, you shouldn't fucking expect anything. There's no obligation to fuck. There is no obligation to hang out with you.

Same as you aren't obligated to hang out with chicks you don't want to be around or date. It's not even a choice, it's just how people feel in general. It's not even a gendered thing, either. It goes for both genders. I don't know why but a lot of guys have a very hard time learning this simple lesson. It was the point of the movie "500 days of summer". A lot of people watched that movie and it went over their heads. In reality, the main character was kind of a shithead. Don't make this mistake. Stop inventing shit in your head about girls. Stop inventing motivations. Stop inventing reasons. Stop projecting thoughts onto them. Just move on if you can't get what you want from them. I don't know what ti is about guys that makes us so caught up on some girls, but I know that you can't just expect something to happen because of your feelings. Your feelings don't always match her feelings. That's reality. Tough shit. Stop calling her a "fucking bitch" or whatever, and get on with your life. Let her get on with hers.

Fucc

#38 2016-07-07 04:07:47

loon_attic
Banned

absentinsomniac wrote:

One of the big things I learned probably before most people did, it seems, is that girls and guys can choose to date whoever they want and nobody owes you shit and you don't owe anybody shit. Just because you're nice to a girl or go out of your way or something doesn't mean she has to date you, or give a fuck about you at all. If you're being nice at best she's obligated to be congenial back. Beyond that, you shouldn't fucking expect anything. There's no obligation to fuck. There is no obligation to hang out with you.

Same as you aren't obligated to hang out with chicks you don't want to be around or date. It's not even a choice, it's just how people feel in general. It's not even a gendered thing, either. It goes for both genders. I don't know why but a lot of guys have a very hard time learning this simple lesson. It was the point of the movie "500 days of summer". A lot of people watched that movie and it went over their heads. In reality, the main character was kind of a shithead. Don't make this mistake. Stop inventing shit in your head about girls. Stop inventing motivations. Stop inventing reasons. Stop projecting thoughts onto them. Just move on if you can't get what you want from them. I don't know what ti is about guys that makes us so caught up on some girls, but I know that you can't just expect something to happen because of your feelings. Your feelings don't always match her feelings. That's reality. Tough shit. Stop calling her a "fucking bitch" or whatever, and get on with your life. Let her get on with hers.

good post but
what the fuck are feelings even?

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

#39 2016-07-07 04:11:57

absentinsomniac
Administrator

I don't know but they fucking run my life like half the time lol. Fucking chemicals or something. I don't know what makes us attracted to any given person. It feels like an inefficient system lmao. Usually the people who we're attracted to end up not being attracted to us. I think there's ways to maximize your chances by fucking with body language and acting more confident, as most girls find those more attractive than shooting yourself in the foot by acting small and anxious and like you don't know what you're doing or whatever, but in general I don't even know. Fucking mess.

Fucc

#40 2016-07-07 05:18:50

Fish20
sea creature
Website

well just be happy you aren't gay which lowers your chances 90%+ of ever finding someone.

so like say you are attracted to a girl, but they turn out to be a lesbian. except that happens to 96% of the girls you meet. except sometimes they are straight AND attracted to you, but don't tell you due to societal pressures. but if they find out you are attracted to them, they get weirded out or mad or something. kinda like what my shit is.

Quotes:

sloth wrote:

sloth wrote:

loon_attic wrote:

absentinsomniac wrote:

#41 2016-07-07 06:11:41

SilentCynic
Administrator

I once/still have a thing for my friend but never said anything even though he sometimes flirted with me or did shit that if it were a girl would be an obvious sign of interest but I could never tell if he was just super comfortable with me or what

Being attracted to the same sex complicates shit so much

#42 2016-07-07 06:38:50

Fish20
sea creature
Website

sometimes guys do that gayest shit possible like say they'd eat my cum with a straight face or try to lick my nipples then NOPE I'M STRAIGHT LEL. that happened the other day it was/is annoying as shit.

Quotes:

sloth wrote:

sloth wrote:

loon_attic wrote:

absentinsomniac wrote:

#43 2016-07-08 03:53:26

absentinsomniac
Administrator

Essentially, in order to keep moving in a positive direction, you have to feel good enough. I mean that in a very general sense. Like, you have to feel good enough for other people, good enough for the world. Good enough to do certain things and good enough to get what you want and deserve. Now, one way to go about feeling good enough is to chase after success and achievements. I've been doing this for a long time now. I probably wasn't cut out for computer science, but I went for it because I was driven by the fear of not being good enough for it. I wanted to prove to myself and everyone that I was smart, or whatever. That I could cut it.

This sort of thing has been driving most of my progress in life. I've been pretty afraid of actually giving up that anxiety, or maybe I'd stop progressing. Maybe I'd get complacent and I wouldn't make the kind of money I need to make or get the type of girls I want to get and I'd lose out in life. Basically, key idea, I've been trying to develop confidence and self esteem through achievements. If you haven't noticed, however, I still fall the fuck down and have moments of self loathing and I have a hard time transitioning confidence from one aspect of my life into the others. For example, I haven't been able to transfer my confidence I have in my ability to make music or program or something into my social life. Or if I can, it doesn't really last long.

I realized this a while ago, and I have been chasing social support, too. Like I've been chasing after a social life to help improve my self confidence and improve how I feel about myself. I'm kind of just now realizing, however, that even my friends and family are just "achievements". They're not even constants. They could easily stop being in my life, and if I'm relying on them to prop up my self-conception and confidence and well being, if I'm relying on them to make me feel good enough, then there are definitely going to be times when they're pulled out from under me and everything comes crashing down. They're just another type of achievement I've been building my self worth on.

So underneath of all of that additional shit, what I really need is a constant foundation. There's only one constant in life, and that's oneself. So somehow I have to love myself, despite achievements I don't have, despite a lack of social life, despite anything external. I have to care about my own well being and my own success *before* we even get to achievements. Achievements are just the icing on the cake, they add confidence on top, but at base I think everyone still needs to respect themselves and their worth, basically love themselves, despite anything else. It's kind of like this Kendrick song:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aShfolR6w8[/video]

This ties into basically everything else in this thread. You can't be genuinely interested in other peoples lives in social situations if you're too busy on the inside of your own head worrying about if you're good enough. You can't get the girl if you don't feel good enough. There are ways to "artificially" improve your self conception, but unless you have this underlying base, that will be shaky. Just like it has been for me. You can ride along on confidence from achievement for a long time, if you're really good at achieving, and you can use anxiety and self-doubt as sources of motivation for improvement. I have been, and I've gotten pretty far that way. It really doesn't make me happy at all, though. I feel like shit half the time. Constantly questioning if I'm good enough and chasing after achievement to feel ok is not a healthy way to move forward.

There has to be a better way than that. I think that a better motivator, or at least a more healthy motivator would be the desire to experience others, to take care of yourself, and to improve the world. If you really care about yourself, you don't want to let yourself sit around and mope or be unproductive. You want the best for your own self. So it's like a circular thing, you love yourself so you work towards making the best self. You feel good, you feel good enough, so you can keep going and push yourself even further. Like if you have an unproductive day or something, or you don't ask that girl out, or whatever, you still love yourself, but you don't have to love that you didn't do something productive. You can still be disappointed in yourself while loving yourself, just like I can still love my family even if they might do something that's not exactly good for them.

One of the best ways to start giving a shit about yourself is to break your persistent negative thoughts. We've already talked about this in this thread. Thoughts about how you're not good enough. You have to stop those. You have to change your thinking. It takes a long time to break down this inner monologue to prevent those thoughts from happening. Usually I don't catch myself until I'm already in a pretty bad mood. But it's better late than never. Most people I read about say you only have to break those thoughts for like 30 minutes a day, and that should be enough to feel better. Take the time out of your day to analyze why you feel like shit, why your brain is telling you you're not good enough, and find a way to break out of that thought process and start getting into a mindset where you care about yourself, and you want to improve. Go for a run. Get a shower. Get off the computer and go out and get a smoothy or something. Think positive thoughts. Every time a bad thought comes in, consciously cut it off and replace it with thoughts of your own worth.

I know it's hard because you're probably gonna think, "ok, logically, why am I worth it? What do I bring to the table so that I don't hate myself?", but remember that this line of thinking is bad, as discussed before it's basing your self worth on achievements. You don't need a fucking *reason* to be worth it. There is no achievement that makes anyone better than you. Think about who you are as a human being. Think about how you aren't out to hurt other people. How you're just trying to live your life. How you're a soul in the universe, and you exist, and that's all the fucking reason you need. Like, there's no external thing that makes your life "good enough" to improve. I can't give you a reason, because there doesn't need to be a reason. It's a mindset. You have to get into this mindset in order to undermine all of the self doubt.

If you're having trouble with it, it's worth finding other resources to figure out a way to give a shit about yourself no matter what. Like these seem helpful:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ev … acceptance
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ev … y-yourself

But in general, I think the best advise for doing this is to just affirm to yourself that you're worth it and cut out any thoughts to the contrary whenever they pop up, regardless of how bad you fuck up or what you did wrong. You don't have to feel great about doing something wrong or making mistake, you just have to accept that you're not a piece of shit because of it, you are worth improving, and you care about yourself, and you're going to keep moving. You're going to keep improving.

Fucc

#44 2016-07-08 04:08:26

absentinsomniac
Administrator

This girl gets it:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joeoPoMS-fk[/video]

And really, to add something to what she said, people who love themselves can really open up and love the world more. Like it's way easier to look at someone elses achievements and be genuinely happy for them when you feel great about yourself, and when you're not comparing yourself to them. You and everyone else on this planet are having different lives. You're experiencing different fucking things. Why compare? You didn't start where they did, you didn't have their experiences, you aren't them. It's useless to compare. Just be happy someone else is making it. I haven't reached this point yet, but I get it on a cognitive level. Like, I still get jealous of some people sometimes. But more and more, the more I get confidence and self esteem and self love, the more I can genuinely take interest in other people, genuinely get happy, like actually happy over other people winning. It helps in all social contexts.

Fucc

#45 2016-07-08 23:48:26

brainiac3397
Machiavellian Amoeba

I feel great for myself and love myself but I hate the world...wat?

Wes wrote:

^^ funny
this guy

#46 2016-07-08 23:52:12

absentinsomniac
Administrator

That's because you're a narcissist lol.

Fucc

#47 2016-07-08 23:55:36

brainiac3397
Machiavellian Amoeba

stfu and luv me.

(no homo probably)

Wes wrote:

^^ funny
this guy

#48 2016-07-08 23:56:22

absentinsomniac
Administrator

dw you're one of the better narcissists I've met, most of them are really hateable but you're not that hate-able

Fucc

#49 2016-07-09 03:56:32

brainiac3397
Machiavellian Amoeba

I'm a paradox of oxymorons. Shit don't make sense so I don't really think about it. Maybe I took the whole "the world is a stage and we're all actors" to heart or something.

Wes wrote:

^^ funny
this guy

#50 2016-07-09 17:31:59

absentinsomniac
Administrator

probably a good attitude to have tbh

Fucc

Board footer