Dank n Edgy

The dorkest, edgist forums known to puny hoomans

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to DnE, the online psych facility. (Run by the inmates, for the inmates.)

#1 2012-06-10 04:40:54

TheWake
Illuminatus Sacerdos

When we die

Do we really die, or do we live on in heaven or reincarnation or something?

I'm of the opinion that we cease to exist.

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

WsEkePS.png

#2 2012-06-10 04:42:37

RAWN PAW

Re: When we die

I also think we'll cease to exist and doubt we'll get very many varied answers because atheism is pretty common in the userbase.

#3 2012-06-10 04:44:35

Sharpie
Administrator

I too think that we cease to exist. I'd imagine it's similar to falling asleep, you don't exactly know that it happened and there's simply nothing (ignoring the dreaming aspect of sleeping) until you wake up. There is no waking up part, obviously.

#4 2012-06-10 04:49:17

TheWake
Illuminatus Sacerdos

I think it's more like before we were ever alive than sleep.

WsEkePS.png

#5 2012-06-10 04:51:57

Sharpie
Administrator

Before birth and being asleep are similar IMO. Excluding dreams, during sleep there is simply nothing, same with before you were born. I don't quite know how to explain it, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

#6 2012-06-10 10:45:06

Dott

Consider life a game: when you die, you win.
Nothing really comes after. The end is, after all, the end, and not the beginning of something new.
It's a conclusion.

Just realised that people don't reproduce like worms.
But sometimes it feels like they do.
Because they're everyfuckingwhere.
And their heads are full of dirt.

#7 2012-06-10 10:48:08

RAWN PAW

Dott wrote:

Consider life a game: when you die, you win.
Nothing really comes after. The end is, after all, the end, and not the beginning of something new.
It's a conclusion.

I suppose the babies with SIDS are speedrunners and it's one of those old RPGs without a New Game Plus feature.

#8 2012-06-10 11:33:34

Baron

a massive credits sequences rolls by detailing anyone who ever lived

EVER

hurr durr i'm a posturr

#9 2012-06-10 11:36:24

Dott

BaronVonStrangle wrote:

EVER

Because video games are the only games.

Just realised that people don't reproduce like worms.
But sometimes it feels like they do.
Because they're everyfuckingwhere.
And their heads are full of dirt.

#10 2012-06-10 11:41:22

Baron

because tv shows and movies don't have credits or anything

hurr durr i'm a posturr

#11 2012-06-10 11:42:58

Swift
retired commo

BaronVonStrangle wrote:

EVER

Including details like who turns out to be gay and all that shit.

#12 2012-06-10 11:53:23

Baron

it also tells you important historical facts like ILLUMINATI DID 9/11

hurr durr i'm a posturr

#13 2012-06-10 13:28:56

bulgvar
Hamburgers are glorious

You cease to exist.

Which is sad.

Kneel down to me, pathetic mortals.

#14 2012-06-10 13:43:12

Maelstrom
Gagiit

If you have any close friends or family,  they'll mourn your death for a few weeks, or possibly even for years. Your body will decay as microbes and dirt seep into your coffin, and then the bugs and worms will come. The worms will convert your flesh into soil, and plants may grow from the nutrients that your body contained. 

If You were cremated, a loved one will either keep your ashes in a urn that will break over generations and scatter you inti the soil, or you will fly through gales until you land somewhere.

Continents will shift to form new mountains, deserts, shallow seas and valleys. Ice will pummel the North and Southern hemispheres a countless number of times. Wars will be fought, until we wipe ourselves out on other pieces of water and dirt. Evolution will bring grand new forms of life, perhaps even cradling a future sapience in octopus or ape. One day, all water shall boil, and the Earth will be swallowed into the abdomen of it's dying mother, the Sun. Then, we and everything we experienced on here shall cease to exist.

I am not attracted to the right angles or to the straight line, hard and inflexible, created by man. I am attracted to free-flowing, sensual curves. The curves that I find in the mountains of my country, in the sinuousness of its rivers, in the waves of the ocean and on the body of a beloved woman... - Oscar Niemeyer

sWe0ITL.jpg?2

#15 2012-06-10 13:48:21

RAWN PAW

Maelstrom wrote:

If You were cremated, a loved one will either keep your ashes in a urn that will break over generations and scatter you inti the soil, or you will fly through gales until you land somewhere.

20091230214643numbskull.jpg

#16 2012-06-10 16:27:55

Maelstrom
Gagiit

The Dude abides.

I am not attracted to the right angles or to the straight line, hard and inflexible, created by man. I am attracted to free-flowing, sensual curves. The curves that I find in the mountains of my country, in the sinuousness of its rivers, in the waves of the ocean and on the body of a beloved woman... - Oscar Niemeyer

sWe0ITL.jpg?2

#17 2012-06-12 21:41:44

OG-Kirby

I figure the Buddhists have it right. The "self" is a bundle of various things with no self-essence. Consciousness is a real thing but it also has no selfhood. When we die, the things that make up our "self" get dispersed and recycled. Matter decomposes and consciousness flows into another body. It's not reincarnation because we are not consciousness but made up of consciousness; there is no eternal self that gets transferred between lives.

#18 2012-06-12 21:51:52

Thought Criminal

I believe our mind ceases to exist. It can be kind of scary sometimes but for the most part I've come to accept it.
Nobody can know for sure though. Hell for all we know God and Satan might exist, though I find this highly unlikely.

#19 2012-06-12 23:15:07

FarBeyondDriven

OG-Kirby wrote:

I figure the Buddhists have it right. The "self" is a bundle of various things with no self-essence. Consciousness is a real thing but it also has no selfhood. When we die, the things that make up our "self" get dispersed and recycled. Matter decomposes and consciousness flows into another body. It's not reincarnation because we are not consciousness but made up of consciousness; there is no eternal self that gets transferred between lives.

There's no way to know for sure of course, but I also believe this.

#20 2012-06-12 23:17:47

Utopia

We cease to exist, but in a way, we are kind of immortal, I mean what we know nothing other then consciousness. When we die we cease to exist, but we lived, and that is all we will ever know. I don't really know, but yeah, we cease to exist.

#21 2012-06-13 00:56:57

FarBeyondDriven

I don't understand how we could cease to exist when the physical body dies but the mind does not. The mind and consciousness need a habitat to exist, with the body and brain (of which limits our capability to know, feel and perceive certain things) being that, at least on this planet. Unconsciousness would surely continue therefore, only, without consciousness of such unconsciousness. Like there is to a computer, there's a lot to conscious and unconscious (plants -- are alive without being conscious) existence of any kind, as is there computer-wise, but without an operating system (nerve system; brain, enabler of consciousness; OS, enabler of "consciousness" of sorts), a computer can not be entirely interacted with.

I feel like I'm making no sense and rambling. I don't even know what my fucking point is. I guess: Nobody knows what happens after we die, but it is likely not as simple as our ceasing to exist nor significant enough to be so complex we enter a new realm, as some skeptics would assume.

Last edited by FarBeyondDriven (2012-06-13 00:57:55)

#22 2012-06-13 01:50:09

TheWake
Illuminatus Sacerdos

We are organic robots, and our minds are organic computers. What I'm trying to get at is there is no soul and no consciousness except awareness. There's nothing that "flows" and everything is physical, material. The spiritual realm does not exist.

And yes, I think it is as simple as our ceasing to exist. Our functions cease. The "us" that we once were, our mind, is now inoperable and will decay. That's what we observe and that's what we should base our conclusion on.

WsEkePS.png

#23 2012-06-13 02:49:32

Blobthe15

immortal.jpg
WE SHALL SERVE THE KHALA FOREVER.

But i'm under the impression we no longer exist as what we were when we die too.

Last edited by Blobthe15 (2012-06-13 02:50:47)

#24 2012-06-13 03:08:27

Thought Criminal

Wes wrote:

We are organic robots, and our minds are organic computers. What I'm trying to get at is there is no soul and no consciousness except awareness. There's nothing that "flows" and everything is physical, material. The spiritual realm does not exist.

And yes, I think it is as simple as our ceasing to exist. Our functions cease. The "us" that we once were, our mind, is now inoperable and will decay. That's what we observe and that's what we should base our conclusion on.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

#25 2012-06-13 03:14:36

Fish20
sea creature
Website

You never know. Maybe we do have a soul, maybe we just cease to exist, maybe we are reincarnated. No one knows. Speculating about it (and especially arguing about it) are a waste of time, it cannot be proven.

There are no clear way to learn it unlike html and css who are actually funny to learn and explore.

Quotes:

sloth wrote:

Hold your head down and you won't get hurt. You'll get exploited, abused and spit on, but hey at least you're safe. Fuck that. I have one life to live, and I'll live it my fucking way. Go on. Stand in my way. See what happens. See what happens when a good guy snaps.

sloth wrote:

There are cemetery for living people. They are called "cubicles". And "assembly line". And "McDonalds". And any other full of shit job you can think about. It's where you are dying every day so you can live on a few select days of your life. If you're not to powered out from working.

loon_attic wrote:

everything is shit and people love it because they're hipster masochists or something

absentinsomniac wrote:

she said to eat her out w/ an ice curbe but nah goodnight lol

Board footer