Re: When we die

Fish20 wrote:

You never know. Maybe we do have a soul, maybe we just cease to exist, maybe we are reincarnated. No one knows. Speculating about it (and especially arguing about it) are a waste of time, it cannot be proven.

BUT WE BECOME PONIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh fuck I'd rather die than become a pony

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

I don't see how this is philosophy.
It's a scientific question, and I don't know the answer.

I'd rather die than go to heaven...

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

Lunatic wrote:

I'd rather die than go to heaven...

Heaven is by definition a good place.
So... obviously it would be good to be there.

Wes wrote:

We are organic robots, and our minds are organic computers. What I'm trying to get at is there is no soul and no consciousness except awareness. There's nothing that "flows" and everything is physical, material. The spiritual realm does not exist.

And yes, I think it is as simple as our ceasing to exist. Our functions cease. The "us" that we once were, our mind, is now inoperable and will decay. That's what we observe and that's what we should base our conclusion on.

Really good point.

Always found the thought of ceasing to exist alot more comforting than some never ending afterlife.

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never bothered me a bit."

Mark Twain

32 (edited by Dott 2012-06-13 20:58:13)

HeartofShadows wrote:

Always found the thought of ceasing to exist alot more comforting than some never ending afterlife.

Yo Christianity, I'm really happy for you and I'll let you finish, but atheism has one of the most probable conclusions to life ever.
ONE OF THE MOST PROBABLE CONCLUSIONS EVER!

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.se/f/f6/Kanyexploitable2.png

Just realised that people don't reproduce like worms.
But sometimes it feels like they do.
Because they're everyfuckingwhere.
And their heads are full of dirt.

Fish20 wrote:

You never know. Maybe we do have a soul, maybe we just cease to exist, maybe we are reincarnated. No one knows. Speculating about it (and especially arguing about it) are a waste of time, it cannot be proven.

There could be a teapot orbiting Alpha Centauri right now, but let's not make a judgement about whether it's true or false. It can't be proven, not with our current telescopes. Let's be "agnostic" about it and not make the logical conclusion that there is, more than likely, no teapot orbiting Alpha Centauri because we have no proof of it.

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

https://i.imgur.com/WsEkePS.png

34 (edited by majesty327 2012-06-14 19:11:11)

Wes wrote:

Do we really die, or do we live on in heaven or reincarnation or something?

I'm of the opinion that we cease to exist.

I don't know. But enjoy what you have while you have it, it's not like you'll be alive for very long anyways.
Song related.

JOIN THE RANKS OF THE SEXLESS.
SUPPORT THE .5%!!!

I think consciousness extends beyond the body. I've also had an out of body experience and researched OBE's for a while. I see it as a software/hardware duality. At the same time, I don't think that it necessarily means that when I die I'll be still around thinking and perceiving. I think there's probably something to consciousness and the r=0 that can be observed black holes....maybe.

"When one is frightened of the truth then it is never the whole truth that one has an inkling of." - Ludwig Wittgenstein

The memory and characteristics in our brains gets lost. Our bodies turn to dust. We ascend into nothingness. We've been on this world, there is no next. We just don't live any longer. All we know has been forgotten.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

God wrote:

A surprising amount of insight can be gleamed from sitting on the toilet. More concerning, however, is the amount of nostalgia. neutral

When in doubt, move north. God bless suomi.

What if, we are all the same soul that has just reincarnated hundreds of billions of times?

There are no clear way to learn it unlike html and css who are actually funny to learn and explore.

Quotes:

sloth wrote:

Hold your head down and you won't get hurt. You'll get exploited, abused and spit on, but hey at least you're safe. Fuck that. I have one life to live, and I'll live it my fucking way. Go on. Stand in my way. See what happens. See what happens when a good guy snaps.

sloth wrote:

There are cemetery for living people. They are called "cubicles". And "assembly line". And "McDonalds". And any other full of shit job you can think about. It's where you are dying every day so you can live on a few select days of your life. If you're not to powered out from working.

loon_attic wrote:

everything is shit and people love it because they're hipster masochists or something

absentinsomniac wrote:

she said to eat her out w/ an ice curbe but nah goodnight lol

38 (edited by Gjelosh Shqipënia 2013-01-27 23:47:00)

Technically we have existed since the beginning of time, and we will continue to exist until the end. Albeit most of the time without consciousness and in many different forms.

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/unschooleagle/g677957198_zpsfc50966d.gif