Dank n Edgy

The dorkest, edgist forums known to puny hoomans

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to DnE, the online psych facility. (Run by the inmates, for the inmates.)

#1 2015-12-07 18:27:46

absentinsomniac
Administrator

Arguing politics on the internet

"This isolated incident occurred in the media I watch it's a trend"
"No this isolated incident occurred in the media I WATCH it's a trend"
Ad nausea

Please stop doing this. It's fucking stupid.
Literally I can't go on facebook without some fucking moron doing this.
Probably just don't post on anything political on Facebook, because you're probably being fucking stupid.

This is why I didn't want anyone on my facebook except 4 people. Fuck. Sadly this extends to most DnE political threads as well. And youtube comments. And news comments. And a good deal of IRL political discussion.

Fucc

#2 2015-12-07 18:45:59

SaintVicious
Jewing Intensifies

Re: Arguing politics on the internet

kill all mudslimes so we don't have to worry about them

#3 2015-12-07 19:01:12

V.R.
receive {_, _} -> void.

Availability heuristic's a bitch, isn't it?

"Humanity Is Overrated" - Shrek

#4 2015-12-08 02:46:53

Green1

absentinsomniac wrote:

"This isolated incident occurred in the media I watch it's a trend"
"No this isolated incident occurred in the media I WATCH it's a trend"
Ad nausea

Please stop doing this. It's fucking stupid.
Literally I can't go on facebook without some fucking moron doing this.
Probably just don't post on anything political on Facebook, because you're probably being fucking stupid.

This is why I didn't want anyone on my facebook except 4 people. Fuck. Sadly this extends to most DnE political threads as well. And youtube comments. And news comments. And a good deal of IRL political discussion.

I agree.

Facebook is for if you need to get in touch with someone who worked with you 4 years ago,  a family member you hardly see, or a former classmate.

I went through and purged a few years ago and do smaller level purges from time to time.

I think a big culprit, though, of the politics spam other that these memes folks seek out to share is that  a lot of the web content article sites and online newspapers make you sign in with Facebook. There is usually a checkmark to not post it on Facebook, but many do not. Not that many read those remarks after the article, anyways.

That said, if it is a politic discussion, I'd rather have it on a forum board. But, with few exceptions, most of the discussion veers towards vomiting up whatever propaganda either side has been reading and listening to instead of independent thought.

#5 2015-12-08 02:53:51

Derchin

> Arguing anything on the internet

"Remember, misery is comfortable. It's why so many people prefer it. Happiness takes effort."

#6 2015-12-08 03:21:26

absentinsomniac
Administrator

I would basically never argue politics in real life. Spoken word is a horrible medium for argumentation. You can't provide or check sources, you can easily get so offended that you now become the persons enemy IRL and you probably have semi-regular contact with that person, etc. I never voice anything political irl except to a select few. And I never act sure of myself.

Fucc

#7 2015-12-08 04:20:26

TheWake
Illuminatus Sacerdos

It's like the special olympics. Win or lose, you're still retarded.

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

WsEkePS.png

#8 2015-12-08 04:26:12

Green1

absentinsomniac wrote:

I would basically never argue politics in real life. Spoken word is a horrible medium for argumentation. You can't provide or check sources, you can easily get so offended that you now become the persons enemy IRL and you probably have semi-regular contact with that person, etc. I never voice anything political irl except to a select few. And I never act sure of myself.

But more seriously.

Is it the person's fault for the political spam?

A lot of organizations use FB for marketing their ideas. The memes roposts, links to web content, etc.

It's as easy as pressing a "share" button.

The more telling is why someone is using their own personal endorsement without getting paid for it..lol!

#9 2015-12-08 04:59:40

absentinsomniac
Administrator

I often fall into the trap of responding when I don't have the time to follow through with the research. Like, I know what I'm arguing is probably correct for one reason or another, because I've done the research in the past, but I don't have it on hand and don't have the time to go find all the stuff I did the first time around. Then I post some shit which might not even be representative of the research I did the first time around, and I've fallen into a trap.

It's really hard to not pipe up when you have experience with a topic, even if you don't have time to sure up your arguments. I'm not sure why. A need to present your knowledge and seem knowledgeable? A feeling of superiority where you have to show you know something about this? A fear of knowing that the work you put into it previously would be wasted if you didn't put it to good use now?

Idk.

Fucc

#10 2015-12-08 05:50:44

Green1

I go a bit further...

Your mind (and posts) been hijacked by obnoxious agendas? No worries. I have this criteria.

If you are in some circle I currently care about, I place you on unfollow. No obnoxious post unless I actually care enough to go to your page. I can still get in touch with you via FB IM. But, I don't have to listen to you puke sewage even though that may be your trip right now.

Distant relatives that are active are perpetually on this list. I am not really "family" and care not about Oklahoma politics or the latest Trump worship meme. But, fuck, I don't have your phone number and a lot of other folks do not either. Someone dies, FB may be the only way to contact you. But "FB friends" it will be unless you invade my space with assholishness.

Coworkers, classmates, etc.... if you are cool and do not post a lot/ obnoxiously I do not care. Otherwise, we don't work together anymore and you showed no interest in my life or I don't think you are cool.... gone

Kind of shallow, but if you do not, you are not doing social media right.  Unless you are some public deal and marketing.

I mean, its a tech leap. We used to have to keep on notebook paper long distance phones to talk to distant relatives long ago that was so expensive it was only on special occasions we talked to them.

Want to get a high school reunion (groan) together? Used to damn near take a PI to do. Now, search FB.

Want to hit on the cute girl the friend you worked with 2 years ago knew? Do EEEETT... SHE'S ONNNN!

But, like anything, don't ignore the tool for the a bunch of folks that misuse the tool. Unfollow those idiots or unfriend them if they are irrelavent and you see no point in IMing them anytime in the medium future.

Last edited by Green1 (2015-12-08 05:52:26)

#11 2015-12-08 07:01:28

absentinsomniac
Administrator

Yeah, that's a good policy. Filter most stuff that you'd rather not be tempted to respond to.

Big time saver. Avoids unnecessary arguments, avoids temptation to respond to click bait or get into fights that can actually impact how acquaintances see you, etc. I basically never post on facebook, and the only time I ever interact is via PM or by coming across some random shit I feel compelled to respond to in my timeline. I'm gonna go ahead and unfollow a bunch of people now so that I am less tempted to fall into the bottomless pit that is facebook.

Some people I won't because I like seeing updates from them but a lot of people literally just re-post a lot of political stuff 38/7. Some times I like the stuff they repost but most times I don't. I don't want to put myself in a political vacuum where I only see stuff that reassures my belief, but I don't want facebook to be where I get my political news at all anyway, so this shouldn't have that effect.

>> Set to "See Friends Posts only" in various groups.
>> Seeing loads of posts from people I don't know anyway.

Why.

Fucc

#12 2015-12-08 09:01:24

TheWake
Illuminatus Sacerdos

As a professional facebook troll I find I enjoy the most ignorant of trump memes in my feed

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

WsEkePS.png

Board footer