Dank n Edgy

The dorkest, edgist forums known to puny hoomans

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to DnE, the online psych facility. (Run by the inmates, for the inmates.)

#1 2012-07-28 16:05:27

Swift
retired commo

Whaling isn't bad and you should be ashamed for thinking so

Neither is eating dogs.

OH DEY KILL WHALE IS BAD WE MUST STOP THEM ITS CRUEL

EVEN THOUGH WE EAT ANIMALS TOO THEY ARE BAD BECAUSE THEY EAT DIFFERENT ONES

CRUEL

Nuff said.

#2 2012-07-28 16:24:16

Efs

Re: Whaling isn't bad and you should be ashamed for thinking so

That's not the reason though. Whaling is bad because they play an integral role in the food chain in the ocean. Especially since some whale species are currently endangered, whaling will only screw things up more.

#3 2012-07-28 17:30:12

TheWake
Illuminatus Sacerdos

Think about how bad whaling would be if we didn't use crude oil. I believe the many species of whales owe a Mister John D. Rockefeller for a good portion of that development.

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

WsEkePS.png

#4 2012-07-28 20:06:08

Aya
Sweet Tits

You're fucking kidding right?

7 of the 13 species of great whales are still considered threatened or endangered by the UN. North Atlantic 'Right' Whale populations are so depleted from the whaling industry that they haven't full recovered their numbers even after 50 years of environmental protection.

P.S. I'm vegetarian. Get fucked.

#5 2012-07-28 21:00:44

Maelstrom
Gagiit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetacean_intelligence

This is just one of many sources of information that tells you of the intelligence of cetaceans. Whales engage in complex play, are extremely creative, have advanced sensory and emotional capabilities, and even have the beginnings of an acoustic form of language. I don't mean to get all PETA on you, but eating the animals you're describing is almost akin to eating bushmeat, AKA the consumption of chimps, orangutans and gorillas. Could you eat an intelligent species?

I am not attracted to the right angles or to the straight line, hard and inflexible, created by man. I am attracted to free-flowing, sensual curves. The curves that I find in the mountains of my country, in the sinuousness of its rivers, in the waves of the ocean and on the body of a beloved woman... - Oscar Niemeyer

sWe0ITL.jpg?2

#6 2012-07-28 21:05:26

stadium

Pigs are really intelligent too, that doesn't stop our culture from slaughtering them by the millions.

KEEP SCROLLING BITCH

#7 2012-07-28 21:25:07

SaintVicious
Jewing Intensifies

Maelstrom wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetacean_intelligence

This is just one of many sources of information that tells you of the intelligence of cetaceans. Whales engage in complex play, are extremely creative, have advanced sensory and emotional capabilities, and even have the beginnings of an acoustic form of language. I don't mean to get all PETA on you, but eating the animals you're describing is almost akin to eating bushmeat, AKA the consumption of chimps, orangutans and gorillas. Could you eat an intelligent species?

Do they taste like bacon?

#8 2012-07-28 21:41:59

Fish20
sea creature
Website

Except pigs and cows etc are bred at the thousands while Whales are not.

There are no clear way to learn it unlike html and css who are actually funny to learn and explore.

Quotes:

sloth wrote:

Hold your head down and you won't get hurt. You'll get exploited, abused and spit on, but hey at least you're safe. Fuck that. I have one life to live, and I'll live it my fucking way. Go on. Stand in my way. See what happens. See what happens when a good guy snaps.

sloth wrote:

There are cemetery for living people. They are called "cubicles". And "assembly line". And "McDonalds". And any other full of shit job you can think about. It's where you are dying every day so you can live on a few select days of your life. If you're not to powered out from working.

loon_attic wrote:

everything is shit and people love it because they're hipster masochists or something

absentinsomniac wrote:

she said to eat her out w/ an ice curbe but nah goodnight lol

#9 2012-07-28 21:51:39

TheWake
Illuminatus Sacerdos

Fish20 wrote:

Except pigs and cows etc are bred at the thousands while Whales are not.

Why is that? Could it be it's too risky to do so because it's illegal?

What if people could own whales and breed them for meat? I bet you wouldn't have a problem with the whale population if we had the right to cultivate them.

Does anybody honestly not see the conflict of incentives between laws protecting endangered species and the incentives of the real world, the market? They clash, they clash violently and one has to win out while the other fails. Some people happen to be whalers because they can make money doing it.

But no, we've got to keep the wild things wild and "pure." Animals have no concept of purity. Ducks don't care when hunters buy land and build habitat for ducks. Their numbers increase, yet they also get hunted more. Woah, there's a paradox. Or is it really a paradox? Maybe simple directives don't fix things as well as we think they do. Maybe we need to look a little deeper at the problems of this world, like whales or ducks or starving people or what have you.

Last edited by TheWake (2012-07-28 21:52:50)

WsEkePS.png

#10 2012-07-28 22:30:16

Aya
Sweet Tits

stadium wrote:

Pigs are really intelligent too, that doesn't stop our culture from slaughtering them by the millions.

It doesn't make it right either.

Wes wrote:

What if people could own whales and breed them for meat? I bet you wouldn't have a problem with the whale population if we had the right to cultivate them

Speculation =/= valid argument. Whales are huge waterlogged creatures that require constant movement thousands of miles ocean to feed and migrate in. There's also the issue of breeding, which is very hard for any wild animal in captivity. The cost to domesticate and maintain whale populations necessary for consumption would greatly overshadow any value the meat would hold at market.

Seriously wes I expect better from the resident capitalist.

Last edited by Aya (2012-07-28 22:35:18)

#11 2012-07-28 22:36:07

TheWake
Illuminatus Sacerdos

Aya wrote:
stadium wrote:

It doesn't make it right either.

No, the fact that there's nothing wrong with it makes it right.

WsEkePS.png

#12 2012-07-28 22:39:15

Aya
Sweet Tits

You honestly think there's nothing wrong with eating something with the intelligence of a three year old?

#13 2012-07-28 22:59:15

TheWake
Illuminatus Sacerdos

Aya wrote:
Wes wrote:

What if people could own whales and breed them for meat? I bet you wouldn't have a problem with the whale population if we had the right to cultivate them

Speculation =/= valid argument. Whales are huge waterlogged creatures that require constant movement thousands of miles ocean to feed and migrate in. There's also the issue of breeding, which is very hard for any wild animal in captivity. The cost to domesticate and maintain whale populations necessary for consumption would greatly overshadow any value the meat would hold at market.

Seriously wes I expect better from the resident capitalist.

Everything starts out as speculation. But let me clarify, I was wrong to say that whales should be owned like cattle (edit: I mean owned an cultivated in a similar manner, not owned at all). Clearly, that is pretty much impossible. However, I went on to make a parallel between duck hunters and ducks that is much more pertinent to the discussion at hand. Basically, what these hunters do is create wetlands that attract ducks (if you build it, they will come). They then kill the ducks for sport, meat, and what have you.

And we've also got the case of the oryx that, as far as I can tell, is extinct in their native rande. However, in Texas they're thriving because people manage (and hunt) them. And yet these retarded "Friends of Animals" want to put a stop to people hunting on the ranches. Yet, what they don't realize, is the reason these animals exist in the numbers they do (or, possibly, at all) is because the incentive to keep them alive is for hunting.

Now, if a system could be created for whales, there is no reason why it couldn't work. People already eat whales and hunt them anyway.

There are already market based proposals that have been floated around. Here's one, although I don't like it much it's better than the current state of affairs. It states that, "Sustainable harvest levels are quantified, a maximum quota established, and catch allotments put up for sale by the International Whaling Commission."

And then there's this article over at the good ole Mises Institute, which calls for the privatization of whales. What if companies owned whales, even entire herds? Wouldn't they keep them safe, make sure they weren't overfished? It's the age old tragedy of the commons, when there is no defined ownership of something, when it is owned by "everyone," it is in reality owned by no one and it's treated like a rental car.

You honestly think there's nothing wrong with eating something with the intelligence of a three year old?

No, nothing. It's not human. It's not even a primate.

Last edited by TheWake (2012-07-28 23:00:16)

WsEkePS.png

#14 2012-07-28 23:31:26

Aya
Sweet Tits

Oh my God Wes did you just compare whaling to duck hunting?

First of all duck populations in the US alone are estimated in the millions. 36 million to be exact. Whale populations are estimated to be in the hundreds of thousands per species. Actually only a few species make the hundred thousand mark. most number in the tens of thousands and some species are even down to just hundreds.

Second is ducks are already partially domesticated. Most of the people who eat duck are buying them in the supermarket and actual duck hunters are only a fraction of the population.

Third, wild ducks are prolific breeders. They lay 8-15 eggs per nest several times a year. Whales have one calf at a time and their gestation time is anywhere from 10 - 15 months depending on the species. So you can cut the duck population in half and it would still rebound within a few years.

Finally, and once again: whale habitats are huge, thousands of square miles huge. The only way to create something equivalent to what's done in duck hunting would be to devote resources to an entire landmark, say a cove or a small gulf. And eventually it wouldn't work because whales are generally more intelligent than ducks and they would learn to avoid the fucking trap.

So with all that said Wes, please tell me how it would be more sustainable and ethical to hunt whales in the same manner in which people hunt ducks.

Wes wrote:

No, nothing. It's not human. It's not even a primate

You're disgusting.

Last edited by Aya (2012-07-28 23:32:51)

#15 2012-07-28 23:45:51

SaintVicious
Jewing Intensifies

don't knock whales, bitches LOVE whales.

#16 2012-07-29 00:15:27

batboy138
Baldilocks
Website

Okay, Aya we get it. You're a vegetarian. Well guess what? I'm not, so shut up and let me eat meat. I'm not gonna force you to eat a cheeseburger, so please don't stop me from eating one.

That out of the way,  I honestly don't think whales are as smart as a three year old. I could be wrong, so I'm not gonna pretend that I'm right.

While I don't agree with Wes that it's okay to cultivate whales like ducks, you do have to admit that he does have a point. The whole endangered thing would be a thing of the past.

"There's no 'I' in 'Team'". Yeah, but there is a "Me" in "Team" spelled backwards!

#17 2012-07-29 00:24:25

Aya
Sweet Tits

batboy138 wrote:

Okay, Aya we get it. You're a vegetarian. Well guess what? I'm not, so shut up and let me eat meat.

Oh shut the fuck up. This has nothing to do with you eating a hamburger it has to do with Wes and Swift thinking it's ok to hunt an animal that is not domesticated, can't be domesticated and doesnt't have the ability to keep it's numbers up the way other hunted animals do.

The fact that you think wes has a point proves you know absolutely nothing about the absurdity of his comments.

Hell you couldn't even read my comment correctly to find out it wasn't whales that have the intelligence of a 3 year old but domesticated pigs.

Last edited by Aya (2012-07-29 00:25:12)

#18 2012-07-29 03:02:16

Thought Criminal

While I agree the system we have in place right now regarding whaling is terrible, I don't think controlled hunting would make it any better. I do like the idea of corporations owning whales though, it would require a large monetary investment into the whales which would give large incentive to make sure they are protected, these companies would also help hold those who kill their whales accountable for their actions. Sure they would end up killing the whale themselves to return their profit but it would be a long term investment and there could be rules in place (i.e. So many calves birthed before they can be harvested). It's not perfect but it's a step up from what we have now, whales will always be killed and if something like this were introduced we wouldn't be losing any more than we already are because demand for whale products is being met in a legal forum.
Maybe money would be better spent on enforcement of current laws though (I honestly don't know enough about whaling to take an hard stance, I'm making these judgements from what I've read in this thread)
Also, Aya, There is nothing wrong with hunting wild animals. There are plenty of non-domesticated animals that don't suffer from hunting and even some that would benefit the environment from a reduction in their population. Deer, Ducks, Rabbits, and Gators would apply to the former. Good examples for the latter would be Wild Hogs and Pythons, and these are just the animals I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure there are plenty more.

#19 2012-07-29 03:12:10

loon_attic
Banned

Aya wrote:

You're fucking kidding right?
Get fucked.

By you? I think that's one of the average SSfag's dreams.
However, you imply that they're on the receiving end...

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

#20 2012-07-29 03:38:36

Swift
retired commo

oh no a couple of whale species will go extinct

not like any other animals have ever gone extinct

Humans are better than animals. Food source > SAVETHEANIMALS!1!!11! Some countries have traditions of eating whales and dogs, if you eat any other animal then you can piss off.

Whales and pigs are the fucking same, both delicious. Just because one is almost gone doesn't mean we should give a shit.

#21 2012-07-29 03:47:26

Thought Criminal

I don't think we should exterminate a species because fuck it, we can eat them. Culture can piss off for all I care if getting rid of it means saving a species. In the grand scheme of things whales dying off won't have much of an impact on humans, but they play a vital enough role in the oceans ecosystem that their disappearance would not go unnoticed.
That said I don't think Whales have a chance, Give it another 30 years or so and they will be pretty much gone, the same thing can be said for many other species. Unless we as planet Earth decided to pull our heads out of our asses and do something about climate change we are going to have a hell of alot more to worry about than whales.

[Edit: This is my post number 123]

Last edited by Thought Criminal (2012-07-29 03:49:00)

#22 2012-07-29 03:56:49

Swift
retired commo

The thing is, whaling isn't the biggest problem we have.

If we actually focus on climate change and stop starting retarded wars, we can fix climate change. I'm not saying we should nuke the whales, but I'm not saying we should go ape shit over certain countries whaling.

OMG JAPAN KILLS WHALES WHY WE NO GO TO WAR WITH THEM?!?!?!111?!1

tl;dr: Whaling isn't our biggest problem, fix other other shit first then go fix climate change.

#23 2012-07-29 04:02:51

Thought Criminal

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was getting at.

Last edited by Thought Criminal (2012-07-29 04:03:22)

#24 2012-07-29 04:08:03

Aya
Sweet Tits

SwiftEscudo wrote:

oh no a couple of whale species will go extinct

not like any other animals have ever gone extinct

Humans are better than animals. Food source > SAVETHEANIMALS!1!!11! Some countries have traditions of eating whales and dogs, if you eat any other animal then you can piss off.

Yeah who cares if we push an animal to extinction? It's not like they have importance to their ecosystems and help keep things in balance. Humans are smarter therefore we must be
inheirantly better and know how to run the planet than mother fucking nature.

Also: I don't eat any other animals. I'm vegetarian. So you're the one who can go piss off you ignorant little turd.

Whales and pigs are the fucking same, both delicious. Just because one is almost gone doesn't mean we should give a shit.

Ok fuck it. First thing tomorrow, in bringing back the list.

#25 2012-07-29 04:08:39

Efs

SwiftEscudo wrote:

The thing is, whaling isn't the biggest problem we have.

If we actually focus on climate change and stop starting retarded wars, we can fix climate change. I'm not saying we should nuke the whales, but I'm not saying we should go ape shit over certain countries whaling.

OMG JAPAN KILLS WHALES WHY WE NO GO TO WAR WITH THEM?!?!?!111?!1

tl;dr: Whaling isn't our biggest problem, fix other other shit first then go fix climate change.

Stop the wars?
Taliban incoming!

Whales are an endangered species, so few of them are left and they play a crucial role in the ocean's eco system.
As humans we cannot just think we're the only species on this planet. We must take care of our wildlife. EVERY species counts.

Last edited by Efs (2012-07-29 04:09:55)

Board footer