Topic: Disturbing facts about ALPR

I have been doing research on something I have found troubling...

((Sorry if I did not delve into the land of <div class> and other foreign languages for page layout, etc which I probably should be doing today))

ALPR.. The technology used by law enforcement agents to identify car tags are linked to the insurance companies as well as stolen car stuff.

Used to, if you missed paying your bribe... err.. car insurance, the piggies would have to stop you for a legit (or made up) reason and ask for papers and registration then. Of course, no cop can watch all car plates at all times. Enter ALPR. Mounted to the squad car or tops of poles, it automatically links to the narcs at the insurance company database and gives realtime results to squad car laptops.

So.. you ride uninsured, suspended, or you are a "person of question", or the car is stolen, behind on payments, warrants/attachments, flags raise up. Piggies alerted. Some of this, okay.

Now, responsibility acknowledged, I would LOVE to be in an industry that could impound your property with body armor and guns because you missed a payment to my mandatory "service" that will not even pay for a replacement vehicle if I wreck it or someone elses... Of course, my collection agents paid for by my victims.

Am I just mad, or does this smack kind of George Orwell?

Re: Disturbing facts about ALPR

Oh yeah, that shit is fucked. I had a huge problem with ALPR type technology before I even thought about it being abused by corporate shills, but now that they're doing it it seems obvious almost.

Fuck that. Should be illegal as fuck. We need like, "public privacy laws", where you have a minimal expectation of privacy for this sort of thing, even in public. Like it's illegal to publicly track people via video and facial recognition, illegal to track plates like this, that sort of thing.

This guy on hacker news just found a way to tell when his friends go to bed and when they wake up based on automated logs from facebook. You don't need anything special to do it, either, there's open source software so you can set it up at home and just watch your friends activity. You can even figure out when / who they're talking to other people by observing when two people are simultaneously online if you build a decent algorithm for it.

I read the thread on the facebook thing. I'll incorporate it into my NSA-Style system one day. You are apparently able to tell which device they are using too.
I suck at algorithms ... but it shouldn't be that hard. Btw, can you still tell where a whatsapp user as been by reading the data from the small read marks? There even was a profiler plugin on Chrome once. You were then able to check out where the person has read your posts, and therefor could create a route.

Welcome to the digital age. Your privacy, sir, if you will?

Hindsight is always 20/20.

God wrote:

A surprising amount of insight can be gleamed from sitting on the toilet. More concerning, however, is the amount of nostalgia. neutral

When in doubt, move north. God bless suomi.

Is there a way to "subvert" the tech without making it too obvious? Tech relying on identifying shit tends to have certain weaknesses being machine and all afaik.

It wouldn't be illegal per se to post such information right? I mean I've seen sites that taught how to hack those traffic LED sign things and stuff...

"Creepy crazy fucking idiot Nr. 873894532"-aCol

Wes wrote:

^^ funny
this guy
the most well written and verbose shitposter on the internet

I'm thinking we should just fucking create an app that scans and registers police cars. If enough people have it, you know when there's a cop around.

As for road cameras, those can be taken out / unplugged repeatedly. Fuck the state.

brainiac3397 wrote:

Is there a way to "subvert" the tech without making it too obvious? Tech relying on identifying shit tends to have certain weaknesses being machine and all afaik.

It wouldn't be illegal per se to post such information right? I mean I've seen sites that taught how to hack those traffic LED sign things and stuff...

There is no law against writing or hosting info on how to do stuff like that (yet). For instance, there are places online for how to make LSD or get away with murder. In fact, there was a big flap about Amazon selling a book entitled "The Pedophile's Guide to Love and Pleasure: a Child-lover's Code of Conduct," a few years back. It was only taken down by protests, not any particular powers that be.

Though, I am sure if pole cameras and such were to "malfunction" in certain areas.... you bet the repo guys, insurance folk, and sheriff/ judge who's people own the for-profit jail will put pressure to nab any culprits and "watch" those writing the stuff. That is, if such things became commonplace.

Worst that can happen, your hosting company decides to "grow a moral compass" overnight at the behest of money, lawsuits, or someone in their business network buthurt.

People already get arrested for fucking up those cameras. Fuck the state. riots now fuck da government

People shouldn't even pretend like they live with the expectation of privacy anymore.

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

https://i.imgur.com/WsEkePS.png

TheWake wrote:

People shouldn't even pretend like they live with the expectation of privacy anymore.

stop victim blaming shitlord

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

absentinsomniac wrote:

I'm thinking we should just fucking create an app that scans and registers police cars. If enough people have it, you know when there's a cop around.

As for road cameras, those can be taken out / unplugged repeatedly. Fuck the state.

Not so fast.

Ever looked at those things? At  minimum, the cameras are 17 feet above a major intersections. The ones on highways much more. Some models can read up to 1500 feet! There is no accessible wiring to the ground. The wiring probably goes into the cross pole straight into the power and telephone cables on the pole, sharing the same power cord as any traffic light.

It can then upload data anyway the designer  sees fit, probably though 3G/4G.

Physical tampering is out of the question unless you have a bucket truck or are an experienced lineworker ninja or and know what you are touching up there.

I thought for a second, maybe obscuring the lens in some way may be an out. Paintball guns came to mind. But, even though it is 17 to 20 feet up, the distance you have to shoot to hit it is only that distance if you stand in the road right under it. Of course, saying cheese to Officer Gieco the Gecko and Lt. Flo in the video room of your local city police office. Standing to the side, on a sidewalk, is an angle. You could be adding another 20 to 40 feet or more. While the nicer paintguns can hit from 80 ft to 100, these aren't rifles. Hell, many folks would need several shots with a riffle to hit a target small like a lens at 40 to 60 feet. Much less, with falloff (I would think). Not to mention PULLING OUT SOMETHING GUN LIKE AT A MAJOR INTERSECTION.

On a side topic of my research, I did dispel a myth.

Flashing your headlights at night at a red light will not change the light to green.

Ambulances have a way to make a red light green on some (not all) intersection lights. It's done by the strobes on top of the ambulance or squad car.

I remember an old associate of mine kept flashing his headlights from dim to bright at some particularly obnoxious lights. It does not work. Worse, I am surprised he did not attract piggies flashing his lights like a moron.

Not all of them, a guy literally got arrested for unplugging one with a pole after posting how to do it on YouTube.

And I imagine someone could construct a drone to disable harder to reach units. It's a matter of how many people are willing to take it up the ass vs. how many are not. I'm pretty sure most are complacent and fear any form of protest or direct action. Or anything that goes against the grain, really.

13 (edited by TheWake 2016-02-21 20:22:31)

Who wants  to go to jail for unplugging a stupid traffic camera?

What's funny is they actually make intersections less safe.

TheWake wrote:

Who wants  to go to jail for unplugging a stupid traffic light?

What's funny is they actually make intersections less safe.

You don't go to jail if you don't video tape it and put yourself on youtube that's the whole point, The guy in the video did it to show others how to do it, presumably.

Also don't be a bitch jail is a part of life.

I would like to avoid jail.

you ain't gangsta pussy real niggas go to jail fake niggas go to college ruin your life or you're a pusy

just shoot one with a mini-crossbow, laser, or crossbow from a rooftop while disguised or some shit
oh wait they'd find the bolt. just use a high intensity laser. but it could blind someone...
maybe a catapult!!!! or a silent .22 or something
this is all hypothetical ideas for a videogame btw

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

"i'm too comfortable to take any risks"
"just don't break the law lol"
"maybe it'll slow people down! good!"
"what privacy? it's already public information you're on a public road LOL!"

yuck

Supposedly a type of material was made in England called "Vantablack" that absorbs so much light that it actually hurts to look at because you can barely "see" it. Something involved carbon nanotubes on aluminum foil and some kind of specific alignment of tha carbon nanotubes.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Ubk34-nFvGM/hqdefault.jpg

I wonder if this would fuck up cameras visual sensors.

"Creepy crazy fucking idiot Nr. 873894532"-aCol

Wes wrote:

^^ funny
this guy
the most well written and verbose shitposter on the internet