Topic: Night owl as a result of genetics and impact on livlihood.

http://healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/hea … n-genetics

I've been meaning to conglomerate as much research on this as I can for a while and do a blog post, but I've been too sleep deprived :^). So I'll get it started here and just keep adding to it for info gathering and discussion purposes. Or whatever.

Re: Night owl as a result of genetics and impact on livlihood.

I am thinking preference for night  is less genetic or whatnot, but has economic and social components.

Most places, the night shift is when all the power assholes are not around. You have more autonomy and less egos to dodge and can work at your own pace. Those shifts sometimes pay a bit extra, too. On an unrelated note, some big owners did not like paying more or egos being dodged so they made people rotate shifts while the big bosses only work day.

Maybe it is psychological, too. I spend a whole day doing what others richer and more powerful than I wish with little autonomy. I am not mistreated too bad, but the work is draining.  Hard to go to sleep because at night, I do what I wish and do what I like. Hard to sleep, because I hate it ending. Think that may be the case with you?

Easily could be. That being said, my grandfather had problems sleeping, so does my dad though. I made a passing joke about it being genetic and my dad said it "runs in the family", so that's when I started looking into it, and there's a decent amount of support for the theory that some people are just inherently more likely to sleep at a different circadian time. There's even genetic variations that predict it.  Basically, even if we try really hard to only sleep during the night, we'll default to staying up to a retarded hour at night at the earliest possible time, and often stay up late regardless of when we have to be up. Hell, even on my moms side my grandparents who are like 80 stay up until 2-3am.

I feel you. I am the same way. Not sure about the genetics side of it because I was adopted. My daughter tends to be the same way, so there may be something to it. I am sitting up with her now laughing a the talking heads on various news shows while we read articles online.

But I always hated mornings with a passion. Fortunately, my current line of work, I don't go in till 11 am, 9 am if I just really need extra cash.

Oddly enough as much as I hated mornings, when I did resort work we had breakfasts we had to get there for at 3 to 4 am. We were off by 9, though. I did not mind that too much.

In your degree field, though, most of the work is 1st shift though they do have "death marches". 2 exceptions I know of: Help desk which is basically call center work where you could work afternoons into night.  Travel consulting gigs like something fucks up in the firmware of some 20 year old controller of a large piece of factory machinery in  a small town that they can't just throw out the whole machine and get one from Office Depot.

Both me and my dad are in night mode by default. I'm a programmer so I kind of have the luxury of kindly explaining people that my brain does not function before 10 AM, that I can kick it into functioning before 10 AM if it's really necessary and that they can go fuck themselves if they need it to function before 10 AM as a policy. My dad, however, was in the army, so he had no such luxury. He had to be in his office at 07:00 sharp.

He did manage to cope with this though; we never really talked about it, but I could tell he developed coping mechanisms, all of which are definitely learned.

For instance, he somehow managed (and still manages) to fall asleep when it's really needed. As in, if he knew he had guard duty (that was a 24-hour shift), he went to bed earlier the day before (around 8-9 PM). He'd be snoring within five minutes. Same if he had to stay awake -- if he had fifteen free minutes, he could sleep through them like a log.

He also religiously stuck to his waking routine. He woke at 05:45 even on weekends. He'd maybe make an exception during holidays or when he took some time off, but no more than once.

Studies show that learning exotic programming languages like Haskell, LISP/Scheme accelerates neckbeard & facial hair growth.

I don't hate mornings but it depends on the morning and stuff. I'm sure if I lived alone, I'd be glad to wake up early morning, get the tea ready, wash my face and shit, open something to listen/watch or read, and have breakfast. Then sleep at night when it isn't too late.

Living at home with others though means night time is the best time for alone time. The morning is like "dont make noise grah" or "Why did u make me breakfast"

"Creepy crazy fucking idiot Nr. 873894532"-aCol

Wes wrote:

^^ funny
this guy
the most well written and verbose shitposter on the internet

I'm much more creative at night time, but never get shit done. Figures....

There are no clear way to learn it unlike html and css who are actually funny to learn and explore.

Quotes:

sloth wrote:

Hold your head down and you won't get hurt. You'll get exploited, abused and spit on, but hey at least you're safe. Fuck that. I have one life to live, and I'll live it my fucking way. Go on. Stand in my way. See what happens. See what happens when a good guy snaps.

sloth wrote:

There are cemetery for living people. They are called "cubicles". And "assembly line". And "McDonalds". And any other full of shit job you can think about. It's where you are dying every day so you can live on a few select days of your life. If you're not to powered out from working.

loon_attic wrote:

everything is shit and people love it because they're hipster masochists or something

absentinsomniac wrote:

she said to eat her out w/ an ice curbe but nah goodnight lol

Same way too. I usually don't go to bed until 4-5 am, mainly due my insomnia.

"Remember, misery is comfortable. It's why so many people prefer it. Happiness takes effort."

Fish20 wrote:

I'm much more creative at night time, but never get shit done. Figures....

I feel you. I took a month off a long while back because I had a stockpile of cash for a bit. I said I would do YT vids, write blogs, etc. Who knows? Maybe make money and eventually be like those dudes who make a living off of it.

What did I do? Ended up reading everything and only putting up a few articles on a blog maybe 4-5 folks read. Zero marketing and struggled to put out 2 articles a week before I ended up having to go back to work. I really should have, in hindsight, treated my creativity the same way I approach work. Or at least a part time job that could become a full time as skills increase.

Sad thing is, with my current work and family obligations, finding time to do anything creative eludes me. From researching those who do stuff creative, it took years for those guys to get there, unpaid for years and often had folks prop them up.

Strange, my productivity on personal stuff increases when I'm awake at night, I often tend to shift towards nocturnal behaviour if I have extended time off. It's just the way I live. Nobody annoys you at night. All people I know who know their technical shit are in muria and usually awake while I'm asleep...

Hindsight is always 20/20.

God wrote:

A surprising amount of insight can be gleamed from sitting on the toilet. More concerning, however, is the amount of nostalgia. neutral

When in doubt, move north. God bless suomi.

You sure you guys don't have bipolar or adhd?

"Remember, misery is comfortable. It's why so many people prefer it. Happiness takes effort."

Derchin wrote:

You sure you guys don't have bipolar or adhd?

Could be.

I think, at least with me, you bust ass doing whatever then when it is time to get busy creating, you find yourself doing non creative things. For me, it is reading and researching stuff. Talk to the acolytes, maybe consume an imported beer, some smoke. Next thing I know, I had better go to bed or the next day at work is going to be shitty.

Mornings are a possibility for me. But what do I do? Scramble to piece together laundry and make meaningless posts on forums while drinking coffee and dreading the bike ride to work.

People who sleep at all between 10pm and 11am are dumbfucks

those are the best hours of the day in every way

I've been finding that by getting a proper sleep routine going, I'm waking up at a relatively consistent time in the morning with total ease and comfort.

Often times way before the hours I've set on my alarm.

"Creepy crazy fucking idiot Nr. 873894532"-aCol

Wes wrote:

^^ funny
this guy
the most well written and verbose shitposter on the internet