Dank n Edgy

The dorkest, edgist forums known to puny hoomans

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to DnE, the online psych facility. (Run by the inmates, for the inmates.)

#1 2017-05-27 07:29:02

Green1

For profit (nonprofit) forced gulag rehabs.

Found something troubling during a talk with a coworker who was a former heroin addict. He did not go there, but ran into many who did.

It seems my state and the neighboring state of Texas have forced " rehab" work farms for dug addicts.

In my hometown, the facility is called Cenikor.

The way it works is this. Let's say you get popped for something really stupid. I mean, more than stupid. I mean DARWIN level natural selection poster boy stupid. Stuff  like breaking into a house while carrying your bag of heroin in your coat pocket. Or, you get pulled over with a huge batch of crystal meth swerving down the road hallucinating that ninjas are on the hood trying to throw them off the car in a school zone. Or, in punching a hole in your pregnant girlfriend's face, the cops catch your 10 weed plants out back.

It's your first offence, but a felony.

Your public defender comes to you with a deal....

Spend 4 years in Angola, one of the roughest prisons in the United States

-OR-

Spend 18 months in a rehab.

The public defender pumps it up. It's in a nice area. You can beat your addiction. Get better. They will get you work. Move on in life. 18 months beats 4 years.

Unfortunately, when you get there, it is packed balls to ass. There is no "rehab". Nor are there any licensed addiction counselors in the whole complex. The only medical people there are a nurse or two with bottles of water and some aspirin or ibuprofen.

You are split into work parties to work with one of Cenikor's "partners" where they take almost all your paycheck  to pay for your "rehab".

They feed you crud, leaving all the good stuff in overpriced vending machines to regain even the change you get from working for almost free for 40+ hours a week.

They discipline for for even petty issues.

Worse, anything happens like someone gets in a fight with you or you look at someone the wrong way - even if it is your last month there - you go to prison for the full sentence. You get no credit for time spent at Cenikor.

Now, I realize mostly only really fucked up and stupid people end up in that situation. And, you will not hear a tear shed from me for some crackhead that bashed in someone's car window to steal something and got caught. But, it would seem to me that if you are a company proporting to offer a medical service, you would offer a medical service. Not a work farm to grease the hands of DAs and a nonprofit.

#2 2017-05-27 15:49:58

sloth
WITNESS ME

Re: For profit (nonprofit) forced gulag rehabs.

Well, Texas is also the place of gay conversion "therapy" which is done without scientific backing.

However, there's some really eerie stuff going on there.
Here's a quote from it's website.

Cenikor is committed to helping people deal with behavioral health issues and addictions by providing a full continuum of care. Cenikor has a variety of programs including short-term and long-term inpatient programs, detoxification, outpatient and intensive outpatient services. Cenikor also provides adolescent short-term inpatient treatment, outpatient and intensive outpatient care.

http://www.cenikor.org/

And this is from rehabs.com, bold text done by me

While there is currently no information available via Cenikor's website regarding its treatment team, the facility's executive officers include a president who is a member of the Board of the Treatment Communities of America and the Association of Substance Use Providers in Texas, and also has a history working with various community-based organizations. The facility's vice president is a licensed clinical social worker and licensed chemical dependency counselor.

http://www.rehabs.com/listings/cenikor- … 328504907/

No info on the treatment team, and the only licensed worker seems to be the vice president (well, that is what is implied on how it's written).

This is one of the reviews. Sounds like what OP described. I assume they do use a social media thinggy that gives generic reviews.

“Terrible management. No training. Bad hours of work. Low pay. Cult like atmosphere. Work camp. Care more about the bottom dollar then the clients.” But other anonymous comments on Indeed.com also state the opposite: “Excellent place to work, dedicated to client care and employee satisfaction.”

Now given the clientele, well, I'm sure some did pretty fucked up things for or on their highs. But a "treatment center" that is for profit and just tries to cut costs every where is not a treatment center.

What really is shocking is this one:

Spent $200 dollars for an updated evaluation. The state won't even accept it since there is so many fields missing that is required. Waste of time, money, and reaching out to the company regarding the lack of "evaluation" along with refund/fixing the problem has taken months with no end in sight.

Which is, outright, a scam.

Wow, America is fucked up.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

God wrote:

A surprising amount of insight can be gleamed from sitting on the toilet. More concerning, however, is the amount of nostalgia. neutral

When in doubt, move north. God bless suomi.

#3 2017-05-27 18:43:07

RammsteinFearFactory
A new era has begun.

Reading this reminds me of the "Secret POW Camps for Teens" which were simiilar for-profit gulag-style facilities where teenagers that were supposedly addicted to drug or sex, or had a neurodevelopmental disorder, or were "troubled" or "defiant" in some way, could be sent by their parents for a fee against their will.

The facilities advertised themselves either as places that foster obedience through boot camp-style treatment, or as rehab facilities in which the "patients" will "recover" from their problems and get their lives back on track.

In reality, they were effectively labour camps in which teenagers often died or left with severe psychiatric problems that were not present, or were not as severe, when they first entered the facility.

The frustrating thing is that if this happened in, say, continental Europe there'd be outcry on at least a continental scale, if not global. But the issue seems to be obscure in the USA. Most do not seem to be aware that this is happening, or at least the media does not care to report on it.

a.

#4 2017-05-27 19:36:33

Green1

RammsteinFearFactory wrote:

Reading this reminds me of the "Secret POW Camps for Teens" which were simiilar for-profit gulag-style facilities where teenagers that were supposedly addicted to drug or sex, or had a neurodevelopmental disorder, or were "troubled" or "defiant" in some way, could be sent by their parents for a fee against their will.

The facilities advertised themselves either as places that foster obedience through boot camp-style treatment, or as rehab facilities in which the "patients" will "recover" from their problems and get their lives back on track.

In reality, they were effectively labour camps in which teenagers often died or left with severe psychiatric problems that were not present, or were not as severe, when they first entered the facility.

The frustrating thing is that if this happened in, say, continental Europe there'd be outcry on at least a continental scale, if not global. But the issue seems to be obscure in the USA. Most do not seem to be aware that this is happening, or at least the media does not care to report on it.

The difference between this and the "secret POW camps for teens", "pray the gay away mental disorder creation centers", Scientology Narcanon,  etc  is one major thing.

The private POW camps for teens are expensive. Your family would have to have to be upper middle class at least to hate you enough to send you there. These places charge about 5K to 30K.

Cenikor and others get their money from he government and paychecks of their slaves...

#5 2017-05-28 00:34:20

Green1

@ Sloth

Yeah, there is some money changing hands and lobbyists involved.

Sad thing is, in theory if they did what they said it would be good for society.

But, instead, they treat people like shit.

When you treat someone subhuman, it does not really give them incentive to become unshitty.

#6 2017-05-28 07:40:37

loon_attic
Banned

Shit is so fucked up...

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

#7 2017-05-29 01:26:38

sloth
WITNESS ME

Green1 wrote:

@ Sloth

Sad thing is, in theory if they did what they said it would be good for society.

When you treat someone subhuman, it does not really give them incentive to become unshitty.

Wow. Amazing, doing this in the open and getting away with it...
You're fucked.

Land of the free, home of the brave...

Hindsight is always 20/20.

God wrote:

A surprising amount of insight can be gleamed from sitting on the toilet. More concerning, however, is the amount of nostalgia. neutral

When in doubt, move north. God bless suomi.

#8 2017-05-29 07:05:20

RammsteinFearFactory
A new era has begun.

sloth wrote:
Green1 wrote:

@ Sloth

Wow. Amazing, doing this in the open and getting away with it...
You're fucked.

Land of the free, home of the brave...

It doesn't sound like they were doing this "in the open", just people find out anyway.

If they become unshitty, the business loses potential profit. If they leave the same or worse, they're likely to end up back in there again and that's more money for the firm.

a.

#9 2017-05-29 07:43:42

Green1

Most do not get offered it on the second offence, unless they have a great lawyer. There is no third, you do hard jail time. 3 strikes rules. You stand a lot less chance unless you are young and in shape or  used to labor jobs. Almost all the "partner" job details are all hot sun heavy labor stuff like going into huge refinery tanks that have been sandblasted shoveling sand in 120 degree heat or laying sod over landfills. If you can not do these type gigs, they do not want you.

It's popular with voters. It counts as "rehab", so it resonates better than taking up prison space, since the prisons are overcrowded. "rehab" sounds nicer.

The places they send the prisoners to love it. These jobs are jobs no one really wants to do and are located way out in the middle of nowhere and hard to get workers to get to.  The businesses get half of the salary the prisoners make bac at the end of the year, so they effectively pay 3.75 an hour and no payroll taxes. They can also fire for whatever reason.

Plus, remember, a lot are idiots or caught with bad stuff. Felony level stuff. They do not  send here for being caught with a dime bag of weed in the car. No one gives a shit about these people .

#10 2017-05-29 12:34:50

loon_attic
Banned

Green1 wrote:

Now, I realize mostly only really fucked up and stupid people end up in that situation. And, you will not hear a tear shed from me for some crackhead that bashed in someone's car window to steal something and got caught. But, it would seem to me that if you are a company proporting to offer a medical service, you would offer a medical service. Not a work farm to grease the hands of DAs and a nonprofit.

That actually seems a little insensitive. There are so many dumb things that are felonies, it is possible for at least a minority of those work slaves to just have been at the wrong place at the wrong time...
like, what, someone has a couple of weed plants, and one day the SWAT got the wrong address and stormed in? I'm sure there's way dumber ones

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

#11 2017-05-29 23:15:46

Green1

Most people are insensitive.

That's the reason they get away with this and there is no outcry.

And yes, there are a few folks stuck in that  who are not bad people.

#12 2017-05-30 02:26:33

RammsteinFearFactory
A new era has begun.

Green1 wrote:

Most people are insensitive.

That's the reason they get away with this and there is no outcry.

And yes, there are a few folks stuck in that  who are not bad people.

I wouldn't say "most", just this doesn't seem like common knowledge. And many of those who know about it who aren't insensitive likely don't have the motivation or confidence to do anything about it.

All it takes is for those with power and influence over these sorts of things to be insensitive and good enough at concealing it from those who can/would do something about it.

a.

#13 2017-05-30 08:09:10

Green1

So, what to do?

I think it is pretty shitty... Of course, DnE does. Most here have anarchist tendencies.

A lot of people in my state view it as "they are scum and deserve it", except for the victims who are poor and have this forced on them. These are the same folks in the suburbs pay At&T or Cox for alarms on their house and drive 45 minute commutes rather than live close to the businesses they own or work for. (Including those out there broke, but hope to become rich through osmosis or something)

If it happens to them or their kid, they plop down a damn good lawyer and get pronto into a private, well respected rehab. They would not be interested in it unless it showed a pretty private school bred white girl having to go through it. IE: One of them. There would be hell to pay, then. As long as it, in their eyes, those "unemployed, thieving, thugs", who they never meet or see and only see on the local news, they do not seem to care.

It is something that does not happen to them.  They view it as if it does happen to you, you must have been incompetent not to have the funds and network not to have to do it. We own stuff, we have an above entry level job, WTF is wrong with you?

Those are the ones that vote things like this in and are in control here.

It's the reason this shit always is in places like MS, LA, AL, or TX.

#14 2017-06-23 07:18:36

TheWake
Illuminatus Sacerdos

It's bullshit just let junkies be junkies, wasting money and torturing them won't do anything.

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

WsEkePS.png

#15 2017-06-24 19:55:28

Green1

TheWake wrote:

It's bullshit just let junkies be junkies, wasting money and torturing them won't do anything.

Actually, according to the proponents, it does do something.

It gives the illusion of being politically "tough on drugs and crime" the people over in the rural suburb communities love. Since it does not cure anything, it provides a constant source of revenue from the CEO to the "psych techs" to the janitors that is immune to recessions. In fact, it does better during times of bad economies. ie: "creates JOBS" and provides cheap labor for people with hot sun slave jobs out in the middle of nowhere that no one, not even the Hispanic immigrants want to do.

All off of people they can not pimp out otherwise because let's face it, most hard drug addicts can not exactly work in a plant or even Burger King.

You are fucked if you are poor in America and get addicted to evil shit.

#16 2017-06-24 20:50:06

TheWake
Illuminatus Sacerdos

Well getting addicted usually fucks you even if you're rich. You just have more cushion to get fucked on. But yeah I definitely see the cronyist aspects. But the above was my perspective. They get addicted to shit, that's their problem. Don't need to give them "help" and fuck them over more.

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

WsEkePS.png

Board footer