Topic: So I'm tryna actually get paid with this

I think I could program or develop software for a living. Fuck it. Why not? It's a big ass salary and I was pretty good in my Java class in high school. Got a 90 in an AP class, and that's with a GARBAGE teacher. It's kinda boring just sitting at a desk but that just means I'll leave work with energy instead of feeling tired and sore. Working in cybersecurity specifically sounds mad interesting. I wanna hack shit.

I'm not mechanically inclined in the slightest. I don't use a lot of tools. I think the weak part of my brain skills is objects interacting with each other, so I wouldn't be the most talented engineer or tradesman. But software's just a flow of logic. It gets complicated and shit but that's what the money's for.

I just graduated high school and took time off to work my shitty grocery store job. I got 5k in the bank for a car, and I'm taking my road test on the 13th. This was my first week of school since high school at a community college and it seems pretty easy so far. I got both my first year semesters covered by the Pell Grant cause the fam's broke as hell so I'm an ignorant hooligan money-wise. Literally no obligations besides keeping what I've already saved. No rent or anything. Just my cheap ass phone, train/bus tickets, and food when I go out.

What I think you guys could help me with is what to do in the meantime, assuming my grades are good first. Could I get experience in IT before I get my Bachelor's? Anything higher than minimum wage would be an improvement on my current situation. Get certifications and shit? Help desk? Set up a server and document what I do with it? Hack the Pentagon and bomb Hawaii? I don't know but I wanna stack the cash ASAP cause why the fuck not?

Re: So I'm tryna actually get paid with this

Objects interacting with each other... you mean, as in OOP? Understanding all the spaghetti, relationships between objects and shit? Figuring out large codebases? It takes practice and persistence.

What are you getting your BS in? You could try to get internships. Or do a part-time job at your uni. Maybe become a CS tutor.

infosec is hard as fuck, needs a lot of persistence as well, but very rewarding. You could try picoctf to get started.

If I could talk to myself in the past, I'd say, just don't get too caught up in what's correct or what inherently sucks, or you may grow to hate it. just be practical, and try to just do a better job with your code without getting too caught up in perfectionism. But it may be wise to avoid getting involved with something too insane. Like... Spring web applications? lol

Also, never think of "getting rid" of money, dumbest idea ever. Be careful with impulses, things you may want. Will you regret having them a year or two from now? Stay realistic, save as much as you can.. blah blah. only give yourself permission to spend on a luxury if you can make that money again, with the money you already have somehow? or some shit. or as a reward for getting a cool job or whatever. use a budgeting app like mint?..

I'm kind of a "jack of all trades, master of none" when it comes to tech. I'm not good at any web framework or anything. So maybe I should try to get familiar with one, make a website or two...

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

I meant like physical objects. Like I have no idea how a car works and shit like that. Handyman stuff. I need to learn Tools 101. OOP I get only cause I took that Java class, but that came fine to me.

BS in comp sci. An internship could be dank. Probably easier to get into than some help desk shit anyway.

Yeah that shit's gonna kick my ass and then some.

Yo picoCTF looks cool as shit. I'm definitely gonna check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Go with the flow, improve a little at a time, I'll start sucking and continue to suck as I improve but eventually I'll be good. Got it.

I'm pretty good at saving money if I may say so myself. I actually have a lot more expendable cash than I thought now that my first year's tuition's being covered by a grant. The rest of my college years will most likely be mad cheap too. It doesn't really matter yet because I'm still a wicked young kid.

Why haven't you made a website you piece of shit? What the fuck is wrong with you? Make a website goddammit. Fuck.

i fucking hated rails lol... just because I didn't wanna deal with a learning curve, and the class sucked
so uh fuck

theres so much shit i could do. network operations and wobdev seems like the biggest 2?

what the fuck should i make a website in? django? rails? ocsigen?

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

I don't fucking care you're just a massive piece of shit for never making a website you stupid fuck.

TheForgotHisPassword wrote:

I meant like physical objects. Like I have no idea how a car works and shit like that. Handyman stuff. I need to learn Tools 101. OOP I get only cause I took that Java class, but that came fine to me.

I think that at some point I was like this.

The lines are kind of blurry, but at some point I bought a car, and then my interests took off in a very midwestern kind of way. Eventually my digital interests waned and I ditched my fancy new-ish car and now I drive a 20 year old pickup truck and build houses in my spare time and perform complex motor rebuilds and auto-transaxle surgery in the pursuit of Quality.

Aka "Help, I became a Dad, but have no child".

Hindsight is always 20/20.

God wrote:

A surprising amount of insight can be gleamed from sitting on the toilet. More concerning, however, is the amount of nostalgia. neutral

When in doubt, move north. God bless suomi.

Not yet, anyways.