Re: Absent's Code Thread / Tech Blog

That is what they want you to do.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

God wrote:

A surprising amount of insight can be gleamed from sitting on the toilet. More concerning, however, is the amount of nostalgia. neutral

When in doubt, move north. God bless suomi.

Ya well I'm broke and the alternative is continuing to work in this grocery store.

I guess I can go another two months but if nothing turnsup, fuck it.

My last resort is revature, 2 year contract, 50k/ year, move wherever they want me to.

Got the old thinkserver booted back up. Planning on installing / building a file hosting thing with accounts for my friends and family. Gonna put a shitton of movies and music on there. Also the images for the blog are back up in my openbsd VM. Should probably upgrade that but it's not *too* far out of date yet. Another time. Really I should just move the images for the blog to the DnE server lol but I'm too lazy atm.

Anyway the slackware instance that's basically acting as the "hyperviser" for the thing is up to date, except it's on slackware 14.1...
Will upgrade it now I guess.

OpenBSD has an hypervisor now. I'm not sure if it can run Linux, though

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

From what I've read vmm still has a ways to go before it's really "production ready". It can run alpine and shit though. I'm just gonna run nextcloud directly on slackware though.

So, I set up plex, which is a media server, and I set up nextcloud, which is like an open source google cloud type implementation, on my server. I'm going to give access to a few friends and family so we can share movies / files and whatever over my server. I'm setting up dynamic dns over namecheap, and also let's encrypt, and doing it over a personal domain. Dynamic dns is cool because it updates the I.P. every time my I.P. changes on namecheap, so I don't have to worry about that at all. There's clients that access it for slackware in sbopkgs. ddclient is what I'll use.

Pretty complicated setup sort of but it's gonna be worth it. The only downside is paying for the dns and paying for proxies / vpn's for torrenting lol. Might set up Kodi instead of plex at some point but it's a headless server, so...

Actually finished all of that tonight.  On my personal domain, have a plex server accessible over the net. And nextcloud. And it's secured with ssl via let's encrypt. Cool. And it's all running off my thinkserver downstairs lol.

Quemu-kvm networking is very confusing to me atm, so idk how to fix the bridge. Loon set that up iirc. Broke after upgrading to 14.2, essentially the tap device or whatever comes up and when I run the command to start it it says it's already busy. ?????

Whatever for now.

yeah it's a shit. it may be best to use that virtual network device thing

haha i dont remember anything

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

The imagehost is pretty much the only important thing on there anyway.
And that... other thing. I'll move images over at some point to the DnE server
and the other thing isn't actually that important atm. Or I'll just do that yeah lol.
I forget but yeah there's probably easier ways to spin up a qemu-kvm thing kek.

Idk it's using openvpn and maybe I'll just write a script to do it directly or something
if I feel like it.

"I need full disk encryption because the feds might get me!" >> Me when I set up server.
>> Live in fucking PA
>> Power goes out for a second
>> Server is in room where two other people live
>> Can't get to it
>> Don't have a LCD screen so I have to lug a huge CRT down the stairs an back every time
>> Password is long as fuck and hard to remember so I have to write it down and carry it down to get on the damn thing
>> End up burning the password afterwards because of the imaginary feds

WHY AM I LIKE THIS

because they are getting creepier every day my digital footprint is so nill ive erased as much as possible

Fucking ugh. I'm doing a full stack development online boot camp, called free code camp. It uses fucking java-script >:/ Whatever though. I need to get into programming / engineering. I do not want to be stuck in IT forever. Maybe something like dev-ops would be nice, but I feel like an engineering role of any kind requires me to be better at a wider range of things than I am programming wise. I need adderall, but have none and I'm broke. Fucc. New job hasn't replied even though the hiring lady said she would this week. Tomorrow is Friday. If she doesn't reply by then I'm saying fuck it and getting a paper pushing temp job or something.

Anyway, didn't learn anything going through the html shit, actually surprisingly am learning a pretty good amount on the CSS module / section. Even if I don't get into javascript at all development wise, the section on algorithms should be very helpful. Need to force myself through it.

Things to do:

• Finish Ocaml-pass, need to finish rewriting it with unix system API thing

• Build a website (in javascript ffs) with help of FCC, put projects on there and shit.

• Finish Free Code Camp.

• Get jorb in IT

• Then get jorb as developer.

Need adderall because fucking Ocaml is hard, but I should be able to get through FCC without it.

Welp, got through all of the html / CSS stuff. CSS is actually coming along these days, no more dealing with stupid fucking html box design bullshit. Flexbox is nice af. Fuck grids and all that other annoying dumb shit. I just started writing a from-scratch "portfolio" / personal website. I basically haven't gotten shit done on it yet, and it's gonna look like your typical modern web-dev bullshit but whatever. If that'll get me a fucking job building bullshit ass crud apps for 60k/year then fucking fine, I'll do it.

https://codepen.io/jchase2/pen/oPemEe
All I've done so far.

Planning on getting into JS and frameworks and shit I guess, as per this full stack course. It has a *lot* of algorithms problems and a whole section on datastructures and algorithms, which is what I'm most excited for. Once I know more of them maybe I can just get a java job or something and skip web-dev all together somewhere, but I'm just not a strong enough developer yet. Web dev seems like it has a lower bar for entry and shit.

I blew through the html / css stuff in like, a week or two. Would have been faster but most of it was super boring. I expect I'll blow through a lot of the introductory javascript stuff equally quickly considering I have a fucking degree in CS. I know about the basics. I'm expecting to slow down a bit when I get into intermediate algorithms, but I don't even expect the frameworks and stuff to slow me down too much. The projects will because I'll spend enough time to look professional and be able to use them as examples of projects on my resume.

whats a good way to learn code without school. i would want java probably at first

There are no clear way to learn it unlike html and css who are actually funny to learn and explore.

Quotes:

sloth wrote:

Hold your head down and you won't get hurt. You'll get exploited, abused and spit on, but hey at least you're safe. Fuck that. I have one life to live, and I'll live it my fucking way. Go on. Stand in my way. See what happens. See what happens when a good guy snaps.

sloth wrote:

There are cemetery for living people. They are called "cubicles". And "assembly line". And "McDonalds". And any other full of shit job you can think about. It's where you are dying every day so you can live on a few select days of your life. If you're not to powered out from working.

loon_attic wrote:

everything is shit and people love it because they're hipster masochists or something

absentinsomniac wrote:

she said to eat her out w/ an ice curbe but nah goodnight lol

When I started there weren't any of these online resources they have now, so if I were just starting out I'd probably use something like codeacademy, codewars, or do what I'm doing now and going through something like Free Code Camp (javascript, html, css, etc) or something along those lines. Like if you want to get a job programming in java you have to get really good at it and work on a bunch of projects and even then it'll be hard to get a job doing java without a degree. Unless you like, contribute to open source and network and are a good developer. Web dev you can probably get a job if you're persistent and good without a degree and shit I'd think, as long as you have shit to show off. I guess either way you gotta git gud af if you don't have a degree to get you interviews and you gotta be able to show work you've done.

But yeah I'd try code academy for starters. https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-java

Or something. Books are good too if you're willing to actually do the work and work through an intro to java textbook. I tried working through books back in the day, I'd do a few chapters and never finish. That's why I ended up taking classes for it and shit lol, I *had* to do the work. Something that makes it easy to get through courses / track your progress etc like these online resources seems way easier.

good luck pls stay motivate and no frustrate
i'm too sick of webdev, i think. but it can be a good path and once you learn some of the big stupid frameworks it'll get easier, if you learn a widely used and well established enough framework you may not have to learn another one for a while, and stuff transfers over anyway

sloth wrote:

Flask, Flask for everything.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

God wrote:

A surprising amount of insight can be gleamed from sitting on the toilet. More concerning, however, is the amount of nostalgia. neutral

When in doubt, move north. God bless suomi.

They said javascript and java are way different... So far the basic syntax seems almost identical with some very small differences... Guess we'll see.

Flask is nice, but everyone hiring wants fucking SuperWtf.js with LatestTech9000. And they want you to be SUPER EXCITED about WEB ARTISANAL DEVELOPMENT. and you have to be a huge fucking hipster or they won't want you

i guess ReasonML is ok..

Java is a statically typed language with reflection casting bullshit that forces you to put everything in classes.

JavaScript is dynamically typed, has this whole browser DOM async shit, and doesn't/didn't really have classes, but everything is an object or something.
Java is not quite like this - https://github.com/denysdovhan/wtfjs

sloth wrote:

I can get excited about ARTiSnsal hiPSter whatever idc. I'll learn the stupid javascript frameworks and shit, too. Hopefully at least well enough to get a job using them... Fuck it.