Dank n Edgy

The dorkest, edgist forums known to puny hoomans

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to DnE, the online psych facility. (Run by the inmates, for the inmates.)

#1 2018-05-03 04:57:37

absentinsomniac
Administrator

ACM thing on Imposter Syndrome

http://interactions.acm.org/archive/vie … yndrome#R1

I like the breakdown of the 5 "types". Or whatever. Feel like a lot of people here have probably experienced this at one point or another.

Fucc

#2 2018-05-05 10:42:15

weland
The grumpy town drunk
Website

Re: ACM thing on Imposter Syndrome

Know that knowledge shifts and morphs. You’ll know more about some topics tomorrow, and you’ll forget some things you knew before. Forgive yourself for changing. You may not be as good at something if you haven’t practiced for a while.

This rings pretty close to home and it's a useful thing to remember. I studied electrical engineering, not computer science (deliberately -- I'd long made up my mind about what I wanted to do in life and it was programming). It turned out to be a good bet and I still use a lot of that on a daily basis. But truth to be told, I forgot most of the stuff they taught me back then. All that stuff about electric motors and generators and insulators and transformers and circuit breakers and whatnot -- long gone down the drain. Most of the serious theory on solid-state devices is pretty much gone, too -- I remember the mechanisms but the formulae are beyond what I can grep right now.

There are a lot of things I understand a lot better though. DSP, high-speed circuit design, many EMC-related concepts. I find it useful to focus on that, rather than on what I've forgotten.

Studies show that learning exotic programming languages like Haskell, LISP/Scheme accelerates neckbeard & facial hair growth.

#3 2018-05-11 01:49:08

The
He's Back

Stfu dude you don't know shit

#4 2018-05-11 18:29:21

absentinsomniac
Administrator

weland wrote:

Know that knowledge shifts and morphs. You’ll know more about some topics tomorrow, and you’ll forget some things you knew before. Forgive yourself for changing. You may not be as good at something if you haven’t practiced for a while.

This rings pretty close to home and it's a useful thing to remember. I studied electrical engineering, not computer science (deliberately -- I'd long made up my mind about what I wanted to do in life and it was programming). It turned out to be a good bet and I still use a lot of that on a daily basis. But truth to be told, I forgot most of the stuff they taught me back then. All that stuff about electric motors and generators and insulators and transformers and circuit breakers and whatnot -- long gone down the drain. Most of the serious theory on solid-state devices is pretty much gone, too -- I remember the mechanisms but the formulae are beyond what I can grep right now.

There are a lot of things I understand a lot better though. DSP, high-speed circuit design, many EMC-related concepts. I find it useful to focus on that, rather than on what I've forgotten.

Agreed. Gotta stay confident though. Very few people are even capable of getting through a degree like that.

Fucc

#5 2018-06-22 00:11:46

WasAHighSchoolFailure

They should change the name of it, as it's not really a syndrome; how about "Self-Doubt Disorder"?

#6 2018-07-29 23:01:59

magikarp

I love how it goes straight from like cultural or institutional determinants of this towards, like, a moral imperative to fix this in yourself. Like, if it's a syndrome (and it is! it has a name!), then you must overcome it instead of just living with your feelings.

Anyway, I don't 'have' imposter syndrome anymore because I also think everybody else shouldn't be here.

#7 2018-07-30 17:40:43

loon_attic
Banned

magikarp wrote:

Anyway, I don't 'have' imposter syndrome anymore because I also think everybody else shouldn't be here.

damn

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

Board footer