Re: My upcoming EP

Gave up on trying to get anyone to help build acoustic panels / go to the hardware store with me / lend me their truck, and just bought 6 pre-built acoustic panel frames from GIK. Hopefully I don't have to trim the panels too much to fit inside the frames, but if I do it's no problem, really. Should have done this a lot earlier but meh. Should have the studio all together in the next few weeks. Have pretty much everything I need I think.

Album is coming together nicely, production wise. Lots of work on 2 songs in particular over the past week. Been putting in a few hours here, few hours there. Or it feels like it, probably more like one hour here one hour there, idk. But yeah, nothing is polished. Mixing is going to fucking suck and take for god damn ever. Mastering too. Two different laptops, two different DAW's, one of which is running in a sketchy chroot on slackware, shoddy free VST's that sometimes crash, loads of good, but unfinished tracks that are going to take a lot of work, a bunch of tracks that are good, but need work to get them up to par in terms of not repeating shit too much, not to mention adding vocals.

Music really is a fuckload of work tbh. If you're doing it by yourself anyway. Weeee.
I have a shitton of material for this thing though. I don't even know how many songs I have to decide amongst. A lot. Least thirty.

On like every album people always list their inspirations, but all the music I have to sort through and am making right now... Like how do you narrow that down. Maybe it's too broad of a selection or something lol. Like, I drew from movies like Lost in Translation, Frank, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, (and like dozens of others), music from Kendrick Lamar to Asap Mob to GOLF to fucking Shaky Graves to Yann Tiersen, to Alabama Shakes, to varous TV shows and a big part of a lot of the music came from just random experiences and things in my life.

How do you take a bunch of music made over a span of more than a year and figure out what "influences" were direct in the music? Not that anyone would give a shit what influenced my music but it just seems like a lot of musicians focus their albums a lot more or something? Like idk how they narrow that shit down. I guess not all of them narrow it down, I've head some interviews where they're like "Pretty much everything", but a lot have like a list of three or four things, and I'm like wtf you spent a year on this thing and all you incorporated in terms of influence are these few things? Nonsense.

Ran out of staples, got 3 / 4 of the bass traps finished, 1 left plus I'll probably just use the rest of the shit and make a first reflection point broadband thing and hang it with string, then mount the last broadband panel as a cloud on the ceiling. Also we'll probably stuff the area between the beams on the ceiling with insulation and I got some foam panels for any residual echo / reverb / high frequency problems. Probably use the foam on the door as a first reflection point too because I can't really mount a broadband panel there. Had to buy a few more yards of Guilford of Maine accoustic fabric which is expensive as fuck. Not strictly necessary but why not get the right shit the first go around. I think I'll pull off the fabric and re-staple it a little better when the new staple gun gets here in a day or two because I kinda ghetto rigged it and it could look nicer. Couldn't even find staples that fit in the gun I have plus it was shitty and weak anyway.

So yeah, everything I need except maybe mounting brackets for the ceiling and some insulation is either here or on the way. Will have the studio operational before I go back to school. Hopefully there's no obvious accoustic problems I can't fix with some high frequency foam placement lmao because I really don't want to have to buy any more shit to build broadband absorption for more corners or anything like that. I'll use mats I have for the floor so that should be a good alternative to thick carpet.

All in all this basic ass studio is running me a fuckton of money. Kek. Fun hobby tho.

Studio is just about done. Need some R19 for the ceiling. Recorded 3 different rappers last night just fucking around tryna get comfortable. Not sure how recording and routing work in FL. Gonna have to work with the interface software and route it through FL and shit. Plus monitoring. The room sounds surprisingly great though.

what kind of rap is it going to be?

possessed by the sweaty grip of the moron

Well, I have a guy who's similar to like, idk uh, Intuition / Equilibrium or Eminem sorta.
I just hung out with a guy on Saturday who is probably the best I know, like that shit blew me away. I don't even know who to compare him to.
I can probably get this black dude who's already on a label to jump on some shit, but I wouldn't want to produce too much of him, he's good but his voice is uh... not ideal imo.

My brother is decent but I gotta work with him on actual songs. Like I don't want it to just be random freestyles on my album, I'm shooting for an actual theme sorta thing or at least a certain vibe. 

Honestly, they have their own agenda like they want me to be producing beats for them, but low-key I'm making an album (probably not gonna be an EP at this point lol I have too many tracks) of electronic / downbeat / whatever music and I'm probably going to get them to jump in on vocals for a few of the tracks. Lol. They think of themselves as like the big rappers who I'm just making beats for, but nah I'm making an album and they'll just be featured on that bitch lmao. Once I get this done I'll probably churn out a bunch of beats for them specifically but for now I'm learning a lot making my own project. They have a lot of work to do if they want to be making songs anyway, they rap a lot and freestyle a lot but they really need to sit down and write. The problem is they want the beats to write songs around, which is fair. I'm not entirely sure how I'll handle it, like I'll probably go through the 50 or so recordings I have of them and sorta modify a few of my finished beats to fit with their styles then I'll bring them in to write a rap related to a specific concept I have in mind for a given track.

A lot of my beats are very difficult to rap to because that shit builds up a lot and rapping to the beat gets pretty difficult when you've got loads explosive music going on. I know some of the tracks can be entirely rapped over and I'll pull in my other brother (who's a great singer) for hooks and shit. Not sure how many tracks I want to put vocals on yet.

you hold the beats, they need beats.... you are, by extension, in hold of them.

Potential Tracklist:

01.) Wall.
02.) Start. 
03.) Approach 
04.) Hope
05.) Attempt
06.) Crushed
07.) Fallout
08.) Moving On / Goodbye
09.) Confidence Back
10.) Unsteady Progress
11.) Push On
12.) Limitless

Too obvious / cheesy maybe. Idk. Not positive I wanna go that route with it.
It is how the songs were written though. Like in various times throughout my whole situation thing.
Bleh.

I spent pretty much all of yesterday working on this
Before I got shitfaced anyway
Shit's rad
Worked with a rapper for several hours
wee

When's your next single gonna drop maan

Sharpie wrote:

When's your next single gonna drop maan

Not really sure
Probably before summer is over tho

Couple of my friends came over while I was working on my server, ended up spending a few hours in the studio making a beat. Said they'd be back tomorrow to work on it more. I'm basically just teaching the one dude how to make beats and the rapper is giving his input and I'm doing most of the actual technical work in terms of producing. Like automation, setting everything up, actually clicking and dragging all the sounds, finding sounds, etc. The one friend is great at baselines and coming up with overarching sounds, so he's been fucking with the pads and shit. The rapper has an idea of where he wants it to go so he gives lots of input.

Pretty rad. They said they'd be back tomorrow to work some more. They don't really seem to grasp any of the technical aspects so I've kinda just been doing all of the actual FL Studio shit and dealing with wiring and everything. I'm giving a little musical input too, but they're both pretty good in terms of coming up with music. Moreso than I expected. I'm less good at like, developing consistent sounds. Maybe??? We'll see I guess. I've got a year+ on both of them in beat making and I've made like 50+ fully developed beats, while they've helped me make one. I'd say the one dude would be listed as the primary producer for the one we made today. That's just my ego though it's great to chill with friends and make music. Idc if it goes anywhere I'm having fun.

Either way I have my own style of music I like making and I like helping them make the style of music they like making.

idk why I wasn't being confident in my abilities lol
the beat we made the first night with everyone was ass
i went back in the studio after vacation and made the best beat we have to date by myself
then they came over and we worked in the studio last night for several hours and made a decent freestyle beat, but it's not the best
at that point we got too high imo and stopped looking for better things when they put a trumpet on the track
I think we can do better

Positioned the monitors correctly, got some isolation pads under them, and found the ideal listening position (via an equilateral triangle and measurements). Put tape down so if anything gets moved or whatever I can just move it back to where it needs to be when I need a super accurate sound. Like when it comes time to mix and master. Also got some spray adhesive glue because the foam pads kept falling off the walls lol.

Now I wanna get some pink fluff and put it in the ceiling and get a rack / shelf in on the wall.
After that I'll probably want like an 8 Channel preamp to go into the ID14 ADAT
And a Akai Professional MPC Renaissance
And a decent synth keyboard.

But that's getting excessively expensive and shit. Should just focus on working with what I have for the time being.
At least until I have a new job lol.
I might get some diffusors for the back wall but for now I'm just using HF foam which sounds good.

Fucking, got into my old slackware chroot which took some permissions fiddling but it still works on 14.2 :D
Had an rsync backup on my server. I count 10 tracks that I should mix down and possibly master before I'm completely done with LMMS. (For now.)
That's a pain, but they're very creative and usable on some sort of project.

On my wind00 FL studio machine I have about 12 - 15 tracks that need mixed down / mastered for a project.
So in total I have like, 22 - 25 tracks to mix and master :(
And those don't even count any of the rap beats those are just for like, an electronic album or mixtape or something.
I have several beats for rapping. I really like a lot of these tracks though, so I might put out an E.P. + a full album a little later on after that.
Not sure if the album will have any rap or singing. Or the E.P. Or if it'll just be electronic or what yet.

Also I bought a Novation Launchkey 49 key midi controller because I have a spending problem. Which is this:

No more buying shit for the studio lmfao goddamn.
Plus I really need to just stop making new music and fucking mix and master my ass off.

Welp. Spent 250 dollars on 3 new synths. Kek.

Made a really great (imo) beat. It's slow. Not what you'd traditionally expect. I think it'll turn out really great if someone has the balls to be really real on it. I have 18 tracks rn. Or 20 or so if any of the really old ones on this laptop are usable. I think one or two are.

Everyone says my shit is really good, but they're my friends so it's hard to tell. I think it's good. Not amazing, but good. Getting some singing / rapping actually down on a few of the tracks should help. Everyone seems pretty excited about it. Then again, only like 2 people ever actually spend time in the studio with me anymore. My brothers keep saying they will, but don't. Still not sure when tf I'll be putting anything out.

Here's the last public thing I posted: https://www.instagram.com/p/BdBZeUND26_ … toxicholic

Oftentimes the only one dedicated enough is yourself. Why not rap on it on your own?

Also, how the fuck are you buying synths for that cheap?

They were 30% off vst's not actual synths
I'm bad at rapping. Not sure I want to put the time in to get good.

You could sing...?

Even worse and I have a singer and apparently a couple of the girls I know are also decent. Granted one of them I refuse to work with for relationship drama reasons but... I could get some people to sing when needed I think.

Just exported my fucking 30th track. I have 1 hour and 20 minutes worth of decent-ish tracks in a file titled "Album". That's way too large of an album. Need maybe like, 30 - 45 minutes, with vocals. Not a single song has vocals on it rn. Recorded some, but most of the studio sessions devolved into us getting really high and drunk, even when the person going into the studio was super serious. I was like nigga you just told everyone we're gonna bang out a song tonight for sure, and here you are taking it less seriously than anyone...

Fuckin, might as well just put my own shit out at this point.
I fucked things up with one of the girls who could sing because tinder, I think.... Lmao.
Whatever there's girls who can sing everywhere if I really want a girl on a track.

Guess be careful what you ask for. Been in the studiobw/ rappers all day. Like... ALL day. Went to the bar once for a beer n lunch, then back at it.

Feedback?

bump

nice. It's a lot more consistent compared to your older stuff that's on soundcloud where you'd switch up the beat multiple times in the same song. I especially like the first ten seconds or so, that beat is real chill. Idk if you saw my discord shits but i had my roommate freestyling to your soundcloud stuff a few days ago, he liked it but the beat switches kept fucking him up.

The beat starting at 22 seconds sounds super familiar too, like you've made something similar before? Either way it's pretty solid.

What software do you use to make this stuff?