Re: Absent's Code Thread / Tech Blog

Yeah. Apparently $_GET is only for URL variables, regardless of the type of request. Not very well named.. so you can see what the change would do by setting it https://forums.darknedgy.net/search.php … lue=172000

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

Yeah makes sense to me. Although, why you would ask a chemist for IT problems is beyond my expertise, I ain't that good of a programmer.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

God wrote:

A surprising amount of insight can be gleamed from sitting on the toilet. More concerning, however, is the amount of nostalgia. neutral

When in doubt, move north. God bless suomi.

Okay I set it for 1 week since we're not that active anymore. Who's idea was it to set "new posts" and "active topics" to be the same anyway? It always seemed identical anyway, the code is a bit different idk. Too lazy to check what the actual differences are, but it seems functionally the same.

Also sloth idk you seem decent, especially with python, and php isn't the most complicated language ever

True, true - I mean if even V.R. complimented me once on my code it can't be that bad. I mess that fellow btw. Probably better at programming than chemistry tbh.

But PHP is still a piece of shit.

God wrote:

A surprising amount of insight can be gleamed from sitting on the toilet. More concerning, however, is the amount of nostalgia. neutral

Yeah, a good bit of the internet is built on it though

>> Fail2ban can't work because kernel upgrade and I can't restart it because it's encrypted and the module won't load

welp, guess it doesn't need to ban people anyway since sshd only uses a single key to let anyone in but whatever

>> Sign up for triple byte not really realizing what it is
>> Go through 35 question "quiz"
>> Next step is programming challenges
>> Realize this is actually their fucking interview process and not just a quiz like I thought that would "gauge my skillz"
>> Actually passed the "quiz" even though I don't know ruby and shit somehow

Whoops. I was looking for somewhere to delete my account so I can re-do this at a later date but I don't see anywhere to do so. I did pass the quiz though so I guess I can always just go back when I'm a better programmer and do the actual coding portion of the interview. Fucc.

You're hired!

i just tried to open an mp4 with xpdf 3 times and was pissed the torrent wasn't working
fuck im tired

Had a phone screen for an "IT Engineer" role. Now I gotta bust ass and study for a technical interview lol. It's in Richmond VA. I think it went okay and she's gonna run it by some IT managers and shit, which is good. Guess I'll hear back in a week or two and see about it a real interview, which I'll probably get shit on in. I'll be preparing for it the whole time though.

i did the interview for triplebyte earlier, they said i seemed uncomfortable with the language
would have to do & debug actual complicated projects in it but i dont do shit at all ever

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

My ISP back home upped their bandwidth significantly. I can stream movies straight from my server over nextcloud and/or plex.

Noice

IT Engineer role rejected me. Oh well I didn't want to live in Richmond anyway, tryna get the fuck out of Virginia tbh. I just finished the "Regex" and "ES6" portions of free code camp, now onto debugging, then finally some data structures, then basic algorithms. Really trying to get to the algorithms because that's easily my weakest area and that's what I need to hit the hardest.

I installed a firefox addon called "mind the time": https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo … -the-time/

Very helpful:
http://oi67.tinypic.com/23tp2wy.jpg

Maybe one of my portfolio projects will be a DnE HUD where it shows the status of the primary server, most recent rsync backup on my server, status of backup server, date of SSL renewal. That'd be cool and useful for other projects too.

Sounds like a job for vue or react.

God wrote:

Javascript gets a lot of hate but... I like this.

function confirmEnding(str, target) {
  // "Never give up and good luck will find you."
  // -- Falcor
  let myLen = target.length;
  let strEnd = str.substring(str.length, str.length - myLen);
  if (strEnd == target)
    return true;
  else
    return false;
  return str;
}

confirmEnding("Bastian", "n");

It only took me a minute to turn that into:

const confirmEnding = (str, target) => {return (str.substring(str.length,
 str.length - target.length) == target) ? true : false;}
confirmEnding("Bastian", "n");

There's already built in functions to do that but it's just an example. Feels kinda functional.

Yeah. I guess it just has some weird behavior and maybe not the best standard library. if you know the gotchas and stuff it's pretty powerful.
and no ints?..

const confirmEndinng = (str, target) => str.substring(str.length, str.length - target.length) === target

=== is better here - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/359 … omparisons

sloth wrote:

Ya there's definitely a lot of stuff that seems like it'd be easy to fuck up in a larger program. I can't think of anything specific but a few times I sorta cringed when I learned stuff like "that's gonna fuck me up at some point and be hard to find".

Almost all search engines seem borderline useless for searching very specific technical things. Like you can copy some logs and get okay results, but if you're looking for something like "Most efficient way to do x" it comes up with "most efficient way to do y" which is completely fucking unrelated, even if I wrap the search term in quotes. It used to be WAY better.

Fucking annoying.

absentinsomniac wrote:

Maybe one of my portfolio projects will be a DnE HUD where it shows the status of the primary server, most recent rsync backup on my server, status of backup server, date of SSL renewal. That'd be cool and useful for other projects too.

let's do it in react

maybe also, some sort of spambot searcher. there's so many old dormant spambots that could suddenly spam the fuck out of the forum, if all controlled by the same guy

sloth wrote:

Shit I'm down. Part of the course I'm doing is react anyways.

I have:
>> OOP
>> Functional Programming
>> Intermediate Algo's
>> JS Algo and Datastructure projects
>> Bootstrap
>> Jquery
>> Sass
>> React
>> Redux
>> React and Redux
>> Front end Libs projects

Then onto data visualization, API's and micros services, then  Info Sec and QA, then interview prep.

I'm like almost half way through. That's a "full stack dev" course. Already did "responsive web design cert".

freeCodeCamp?

sloth wrote:

yh

probably not actually half way but I'm most of the way through data structures + algo's so after that it's:

Front End Libraries Certification (300 hours)
Data Visualization Certification (300 hours)
Apis And Microservices Certification (300 hours)
Information Security And Quality Assurance Certification (300 hours)

I could see it taking 300 hours for someone who's never programmed before but it took me maybe like 10 or something to get through "responsive web design" and maybe like 25 to get through data structures and algo's if that so far lol. Doubt very much it'll take 300 for any of these for me.

I've been googling around and there really doesn't seem like there's anything quite like a system HUD for monitoring status of backups, uptime, ssl, etc. At work we have a HUD that displays incoming calls and how many calls are in the call queue, plus tickets that haven't been locked by an agent, which is what gave me the idea. Their HUD is absolute garbage, not real time, slow to update, looks ugly, from the 90's. This one will be way better (also it's for different stuff but whatever.)

Got through functional programming. Had a lot of trouble with vague requirements and weird quirks with FCC, which is usually pretty fucking good and doesn't have those problems. Hardest part was just wrapping my head around stringing together Map, Filter and Reduce, along with some other string operations. I probably *should* go back and get a more thorough understanding at some point. I did have to implement my own versions of them though so it's not like I don't get how they work, so meh. It's just combining them in useful ways gets very confusing for me, especially on objects I didn't create myself.

For now I just wanna get into the "Intermediate Algorithms", finish that up over the weekend hopefully (might be too much to do in a weekend idk), finish up the data structures + algorithms projects, and be off to front end libraries.

bleh. The data structures and algo's section did not cover nearly the amount of algorithm's and shit I thought it would. Which is what I'll have to dig into much deeper after this because obviously very technical jobs are going to want me to whiteboard similar shit. Plus I'll have to spend a lot of time doing algo / practice test problems and shit.

This is a fucking lot of work. Who even knows how long the front end libs, data visualization, API's and microservies, and Info Sec + QA sections will take Lol.