Dank n Edgy

The dorkest, edgist forums known to puny hoomans

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to DnE, the online psych facility. (Run by the inmates, for the inmates.)

#1 2019-03-11 23:10:56

absentinsomniac
Administrator

DnE HUD

What it's gonna have

• SSL Status

• Last backup status / date

• Server up/down status obviously, maybe uptime?

• Potentially some kind of spambot search thing?

Anything else it would be useful to check out at a glance? I think checking the server status and SSL status can be done with no server access. The most recent backup would likely be easiest to implement by simply adding to the rsync cron job I have to create a web facing text file with a timestamp and having DnE HUD grab that. Or maybe we could have a push notification somehow to alert DnE HUD of a new backup that ran? Polling is old school these days.

According to some dude on stack overflow:

The question doesn't make sense. You can't get the server's SSL certificate without opening an SSL connection to it, and once you've done that, telling the user they can do that too is a bit pointless.

The only thing I'm seeing come up when I google "javascript tls connction" is node, though. Could use it's getPeerCertificate()  which returns an object with the cert details including expiry date. Idk if we want to use node just for that though lmao. Could use OpenSSL instead to get it, though, and parse it somehow. Should be fairly easy, but then OpenSSL is a requirement.

Fucc

#2 2019-03-12 01:53:03

loon_attic
Banned

Re: DnE HUD

We could have a backend in Go that does whatever

* network request graph, maybe from ramnode
* storage status
* last STW wiki edit
edit:
* SSH login attempts, lastlogin
* web server errors
* werc comments

i'm planning on moving to... either Docker (container in a container?), or just a VPS with Alpine managed with SaltStack, Ansible, or Puppet

Last edited by loon_attic (2019-03-13 18:36:47)

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

#3 2019-03-13 11:11:06

absentinsomniac
Administrator

That would be a more technically interesting project than just a shitty polling thing. Could even put a password to access it and shit. I know next to nothing about Go but wouldn't hurt to learn some. Mainly packaging it all together for others might be a pain idk.

Fucc

#4 2019-03-20 06:05:54

loon_attic
Banned

Polling is old school these days.

eh not necessarily. Sometimes it's just a good simple fit for things. If it's just on load rather than realtime, could be trivial-ish. But for a notification thing, it may be possible to use libev or something like it with the go backend and have it notify the client

also
- new users, user agents/other analytics for each user or something
seems like too much

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

Board footer