Dank n Edgy

The dorkest, edgist forums known to puny hoomans

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to DnE, the online psych facility. (Run by the inmates, for the inmates.)

#1 2019-05-22 02:28:42

absentinsomniac
Administrator

Starting a home brewery

Things I need:

Brewing sanitizer, Dry malt extract, mesh bag for specialty grains, kettle, fermenter, brewing spoon, siphon with bottle filler, capper, some tubing between the kettle and the fermenter??

acol help

I'm thinking for this for the kettle: https://www.amazon.com/Brewers-Edge-Mas … way&sr=8-3

One commenter said it burns the extract though and idk if I'm ready for mash and all that, so I wanna start with extract. That being said several others said it works fine for extract.

Second, fermenter: https://www.amazon.com/Ss-Brewing-Techn … way&sr=8-5

Any other suggestions? Does this seem reasonable? I'd like a better electric kettle (because I'm lazy) that won't have err4 codes due to shit burning such as my extract if possible, but if not I think stirring it and what will end up making it work. Or maybe I should just go with a gas kettle? idek.

Fucc

#2 2019-05-22 02:37:36

absentinsomniac
Administrator

Re: Starting a home brewery

Fucc

#3 2019-05-22 10:45:15

sloth
WITNESS ME

https://www.amazon.com/Grain-Father-ASM … way&sr=8-1

We use this for small batches. You will need, for now:
- Sanitizer (for home brewers, starsan should do)
- Bottles to fill the beer into after fermentation

I started out with this:
https://www.amazon.com/Coopers-Inclusiv … =8-3-spell
It has the benefit that you don't need a bottle filler since it is with the fermented, but it did not work too well.

As for burning the mash that only happens without wort circulation.
You will want a wort chiller at some point.

This is how we did it earlier before we even knew of the brewery:
- Get malt extract
- Boil water
- Fill fermenter with hot water + extract
- Cover fermenter
- When cooled down, add yeast
That hot sanitized the fermentation vessel - but honestly a wort chiller would have been better.

Idk about the stuff you posted it seems fair enough but I have not worked with it as I work with the GF or with the 1000L Chinese System.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

God wrote:

A surprising amount of insight can be gleamed from sitting on the toilet. More concerning, however, is the amount of nostalgia. neutral

When in doubt, move north. God bless suomi.

#4 2019-05-26 05:27:37

absentinsomniac
Administrator

Who tf even parties this hard jfc

Fucc

#5 2019-05-26 06:52:54

absentinsomniac
Administrator

Kill me pls

Fucc

#6 2019-05-27 20:41:07

sloth
WITNESS ME

Ah now for a more comprehensive guide.

For malt extract brewing, you need not more than a big pot with heating. A jam preserver should do (and has the added benefit that you can draw off the liquid while it is cooking). For all grain, you will need a mill.
Milling has a huge impact on the amount of extract that remains on the wort. Not to long ago, a guy at the brewery changed the milling gap from 1.4 to ~1.47, resulting in a 10% efficiency increase overall. Which threw off our calculations.

So first, you will mill the grains. After you have milled the grains, you add them to the pot and add hot water of the right temperature for the given step (usually 62-65C step is used nowadays, as it is the sweet spot for both alpha and beta-amylase).
You will keep the water circulating until extract no longer increases. With a bit of calculation magic you can actually calculate how much extract (fermentable sugars) you end up with.
You then remove the grains, and heat the remaining liquid to a boil. Around 5-15 minutes before you finish the boiling (which, due to evaporation, you can use to increase extract content) you add the hops.
Then you cast out, preferably through a wort chiller. If you have sanitized your fermentation vessels before and have no other means, you cast out hot and wait until the wort has cooled to appropriate temperature.
You then add the yeast - for small scales a starter is often not necessary, but for larger ones you will want to make a starter in order to avoid stressing the yeast and avoid infection with other bacteria.
You then let the beer ferment. The smart home brewer utilizes a water bath in which he puts the fermentation vessel, then adds an aquarium heating pump/staff and a thermosensor in order to keep a constant temperature.
After the extract has been fermented and no more fermentation is observed, you fill the liquid into bottles. As a home brewer with no access to CO2 systems, you add a bit of priming sugar, which will be fermented by the yeast and carbonize the bottle.
The home brewer should use brown PET bottles in order to avoid exploding, overprimed bottles. They can be re used and sterilized.

Finally, you drink the product. I've had really good results and really bad ones. One of the worse ones I added a bit of sugar during fermentation for higher alcohol content and considering I woke up in a park the next day and had lost phone and glasses, I'd say it packed quite the punch.

God wrote:

A surprising amount of insight can be gleamed from sitting on the toilet. More concerning, however, is the amount of nostalgia. neutral

#7 2019-06-05 02:28:04

absentinsomniac
Administrator

Oh shit I never even heard of a grain mill. I keep buying more and more shit for this lmao and I haven't even made any beer. So far I have purchased this: B95.JPG

And this:

31jV4xjVV1L._SX342_.jpg

Been slacking on other shit until I have those shits and I get another pay check. I'm like 600 bucks in already lmao

Gonna get a cooler and I think my basement is at a pretty stable temp around 68 - 70 degrees, so I think (depending on the beer) that should be fine for now. Until I can get a temperature controlled environment set up somehow. I'm thinking about getting like 4 of those fermenter so I can produce like 4 cases a week assuming 2 cases per fermenter per brew, and I space it out right.

For the steep I'm gonna need a seperate means of boiling some water outside of my mash & boil, so I'll probably need a turkey burner and some propane.

Fucc

#8 2019-06-05 22:11:46

sloth
WITNESS ME

Shit nigga that is some decent equipment right there. You could try extract cooking right now with something like link related: https://www.muntonshomebrew.com/categor … -extracts/ - we used that kinda stuff with only a plastic fermenation bottle and not even a big enough pot (the beer tasted accordingly) when we were not even in the brewery yet.

What you need more than fermenters is bottles. Literally after ferment is empty you can fill it with new wort to ferment - that's our problem rn, we have all tanks full and cannot make more until we bottle.
Grain mill can be done like following: https://www.instructables.com/id/Angle- … rain-Mill/
Grain mills are easy to build. You could do it like the olden people with two stones ffs.

Temperature control wise a refrigerator-box and a temperature controlled electrical outlet is enough. That or a massive vat of water and an aquarium heating staff / a chilling thinggy.

How are you going to store your beer? Washed PET bottles? Or are you getting a capping thing plus a shittons of bottles?

God wrote:

#9 2019-06-05 22:24:40

absentinsomniac
Administrator

Probably a bottle capper and bottles, and I have a keg fridge so maybe that, and possibly growlers

Fucc

#10 2019-06-06 12:04:44

sloth
WITNESS ME

Use a Jam Preserver to Boil water outside your mash & boil. Should work fine.
https://www.lidl-service.com/cps/rde/SI … am%20Maker

God wrote:

Board footer