Topic: Discrimination of Others Based on Age

Why are the young under such scrutiny? Their elders seem keen to observe their every flaw, to rebuke them for every wrongdoing, to dismiss whatever intelligence they possess as inadequate. Children are not seen as discerning human beings. I seek the knowledge as to why.

Re: Discrimination of Others Based on Age

...Maybe because people suck.

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

Some kids play into the stereotype, and are typical fuck heads.

Trust issues. Adults believe strongly that they knew what they're doing and talking about (since they lived through it all) and shun and look down upon the decisions and actions of kids.

"Remember, misery is comfortable. It's why so many people prefer it. Happiness takes effort."

The superior question to those I have previously asked would be: What could I do to negate the effects of this stereotype?

Don't be a dickhead.

What saint said.

"Remember, misery is comfortable. It's why so many people prefer it. Happiness takes effort."

8 (edited by Efs 2012-09-23 10:45:12)

What puts the icing on the cake for me is this: Last week another student asked what 'ageism' was, to which my English teacher responded "It's when older people are discriminated against."
That's like saying 'sexism' is one-way, always against the females.

Efs wrote:

What put's the icing on the cake for me is this: Last week another student asked what 'ageism' was, to which my English teacher responded "It's when older people are discriminated against."
That's like saying 'sexism' is one-way, always against the females.

Did you correct him? If you don't point out double standards and hypocrisy, they'll go on unchallenged.

That is true - people both old and young do not benefit from this ridiculous prejudice. I find it appalling that older people feel threatened when it is truly the young that are taking the brunt of ageism. That's not to say the old aren't discriminated against, but labeling teenagers as dangerous can be all the more dangerous to those who say it.

11 (edited by Gjelosh Shqipënia 2012-09-24 19:10:17)

You know I was just reading a book from Albania about the culture of the people from the area of Albania I am from (Malësia E Kelmendit).

I kinda always knew this but it high lighted it for me. Back in the day (which is much more recent for my area of Albania) the standard of living and the ways in which people lived basically put adults (generally male adults) in the fore front and often for legitimate reason.

However it is becoming an obsolete way of living and it is taking humanity time to get over the hierarchical structure that was established for survival.  In fact it is clearly way past obsolete in many places. Many adults are having issues giving up this structure. Sadly with the internet the same youth being discriminated against can come to realize it is BS. At the same time it can enlighten people to seeing a better way of living with others, including youth. As it did for me when I was around 18.

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/unschooleagle/g677957198_zpsfc50966d.gif

There is a certain need for discrimination based on age in society, so the issue is more about what age do we consider people responsible for their own actions and capable of taking care of themselves? Surely, one would not sell a beer to a ten year old or let that ten year old into the Army. That's legitimate discrimination because ten year olds are not developed enough, mentally or physically, to do these things. I think the more pertinent issue is at what point this discrimination should end. Certainly 16 year olds are responsible enough, many of them, to take care of themselves. We let people get a job at sixteen. Then, why are they not considered adults? Why can't 16 year old vote if their differences from, for example, 21 year olds are so miniscule?

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

https://i.imgur.com/WsEkePS.png

Wes wrote:

There is a certain need for discrimination based on age in society, so the issue is more about what age do we consider people responsible for their own actions and capable of taking care of themselves? Surely, one would not sell a beer to a ten year old or let that ten year old into the Army. That's legitimate discrimination because ten year olds are not developed enough, mentally or physically, to do these things. I think the more pertinent issue is at what point this discrimination should end. Certainly 16 year olds are responsible enough, many of them, to take care of themselves. We let people get a job at sixteen. Then, why are they not considered adults? Why can't 16 year old vote if their differences from, for example, 21 year olds are so miniscule?

This may be a bit too idealistic, but perhaps it could be something along the lines of a meritocracy. As everyone has seen, no doubt, not every teenager is as intelligent as the average SDian. Standard tests and such aren't able to measure maturity. If we found a way to measure maturity, perhaps we could make being counted in the age of majority dependent on that.

RAWN PAW wrote:
Wes wrote:

This may be a bit too idealistic, but perhaps it could be something along the lines of a meritocracy. As everyone has seen, no doubt, not every teenager is as intelligent as the average SDian. Standard tests and such aren't able to measure maturity. If we found a way to measure maturity, perhaps we could make being counted in the age of majority dependent on that.

I don't think that's particularly fair. What is maturity? Who defines maturity? The mature? What we need is an age where people can function relatively normally as, at least, semi-independent and somewhat rationally thinking beings. 16 just seems right for the majority of people. Now, granted, most people at 16 are still under the care of their parents for the most part, but I don't think that should have too much bearing on adulthood. At the very least, they should be given transitional rights in a form of semi-adulthood.

What I don't understand is the idea on this board that ageism, against old or young people, is always a bad thing. There's fundamental differences between a ten year old, a thirty year old, and an eighty year old. A ten year old probably shouldn't drive, whilst a thirty year old probably should and an eighty year old should if they can still see halfway. Roller-coasters are another place where people are effectively discriminated against on age.

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

https://i.imgur.com/WsEkePS.png