Dank n Edgy

The dorkest, edgist forums known to puny hoomans

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to DnE, the online psych facility. (Run by the inmates, for the inmates.)

#1 2013-08-25 18:18:33

sloth
WITNESS ME

Microsofts Philosophies and why I hate them

I am angry. At Microsoft. However, unlike most users who are only angry about trivial things like
malware, I have a very good reason to be so. It all started with a nice Cyanogenmod port a dude
uploaded at github (to the dude: you're awesome). It's for an extremly exotic device. But thats not
important. So, I download the ODINv3 Software, which is - you guessed it - windows only. Odinv3 is
used to flash alternative ROMs onto a SAMSUNG smartphone. But that is where the trouble started.

I use Linux. I have had it for a long time now, and I love how customizable and logical it is. I also love
being able to browse documentaries on human reproduction without having to fear about malware
too much. My Desktop PC runs a lubuntu, my laptop a nice archlinux install. So, on which PC do I use
the Odin software?
First thing I tried was Windows 8. I posses it, so I decided to install it to my laptop. Of course, it ruined
the fucking bootloader. Means, I can only start windows, and not my custom linux. Anyways, I install
Win8 onto my laptop, and it installs. It finishes the install. And then there is the first problem:
IT FUCKING FLASHES BLACK / SCREEN, BLACK, SCREEN, BLACK, SCREEN. Really makes you psycho.
So I install the Nvidia graphics driver, and it shows me the screen finally. Yay! But wait! There's more!
I try to install Kies  (samsungs phone suite utility thinggy), but Windows 8 wants to be activated. So I think "no problem", and enter the Key.
Says "its already in use". Ok, I think, might be because this is the update version.
I try the vista key, and it says "dude, something is wrong with your PC #yolo #swag". Found out later
that you have to install VISTA or 7 first, and then install Windows 8, so you can activate the windows 8.
Once that knowledge enlightended me, I tried to tell windows it was an update by setting a few values
in the HORRIBLE registry. I do, restart, and it didn't fucking help at all.
The fun part is, the machine randomly decided to fucking freeze.

I think, Ok, let's install VISTA. Some people might be facepalming or laughing already now. I install it
and it works way better than Windows 8, the screen doesn't fuck around and nothing. I think "cool, i
can use this". WELL WHAT DO YOU THINK, YOUNG MAN? NOPE. YOU FUCKING CANT.
I couldn't even connect to the web. The manufacturer of this laptop only provides XP and Win7 drivers.
Fuck. So this PC is NOT FUCKING USEABLE with either 8 or vista.
"Fine, I can still go WinXP. I love WinXP anyways, it was the last good OS they released besides Win7".
One Word: SSD. WinXP is over 10 years old, and SSDs weren't so trendy back them for some obscure
reason.

Take a deep breath. Ok. Wat do? I tried to install XP on a virtual machine, but the experiance was less
than underwhelming. This did not work either. I don't get it. A fucking bunch of random fucking people
can fucking make a fucking operating system that fucking detects drivers itself, has a huge knowledge
base and usually works out-of-the-box. Some paid company that wants a shitload of money before you
can even USE their inferior OS can't even include the fucking drivers? What the F...
Being short on alternatives, I search for downgrade possiblities. There are some. But they require that
you buy yourself the version of the OS you can downgrade to (i.e. Win7), and you have to have the OS
that is already install (win8). WHY THE F would I want to buy Win7, when I have Win8 already forced
upon me? And where the fuck does all the money go they get with those shitty policies? Into steve
ballmers furniture? Into digital rights management and licensing? Maybe somebody should tell those
fucking idiots that operating systems are made by coders, designers and the like and not by fucking
lawyers.

TL;DR:
These are the fucking points I hate about the microsoft philosophie:

1. Our operating system is so superior people pirate it (ahahaha no, the only reason its pirated is
because most games only work on this piece of shitware), so we include these cool licensing features.
2. If you want to downgrade, pay for it. Wtf? Why should I pay for a downgrade? If I want to download
in linux i just install the fucking kernel I want to downgrade to...
3. There are no drivers for this device. Deal with it. ... I hate you! I hate you!
4. Our software is perfect from design. There is no need to customize it. (although its possible from 3rd
party tools. Which usually contain malware).
5. You do not need any other OS than the M$ Bloatware Nonoperating System. No comment.

I somehow detect similarities to religion..."You do not need another God besides me"...

TL;DRTDR:

FUCK YOU M$! And M$ policies remind me of the 10 laws of god.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

God wrote:

A surprising amount of insight can be gleamed from sitting on the toilet. More concerning, however, is the amount of nostalgia. neutral

When in doubt, move north. God bless suomi.

#2 2013-08-25 18:26:57

V.R.
receive {_, _} -> void.

Re: Microsofts Philosophies and why I hate them

Damn, you were really pit into a horrible situation with Windoo.

Spot on, though. I have my reasons for hating the 'M$ Bloatware Nonoperating System' as well. Twenty of them.

"Humanity Is Overrated" - Shrek

#3 2013-08-25 18:37:36

sloth
WITNESS ME

Mind posting them?

I really, really, hate people who develop for windows. Sure, I can understand why you'd want to if you're a game dev or something, but for system critical applications like a fucking flash software? Seriously?

God wrote:

A surprising amount of insight can be gleamed from sitting on the toilet. More concerning, however, is the amount of nostalgia. neutral

#4 2013-08-25 18:54:45

V.R.
receive {_, _} -> void.

Maybe later.

Yeah, it's because of market share and because not every developer is a hacker or has any real passion. Many of them are ignorant code monkeys who have been conditioned in universities, by M$ and corporate propaganda into churning out code in certain platforms (Java, .NET) without really grokking it or knowing much about computer science, culture and history at all beyond their favorite IDE and the API reference they consult.

#5 2013-08-25 20:24:30

sloth
WITNESS ME

I don't get why java is such a big deal anyway...python is IMHO a lot more logical, at least I know in which fucking scope my variables are declared. I know a few dudes who do software (i knowo them due to an internship at a big electronics company), and they made software for one good fucking reason only for windows: It was a fucking automatic software installer (and windows configurator, I think) for windows, something like apt or pacman or whatnot to linux. That, and only that, was the best reason till now that I have seen somebody develop for windows.
.NET could become something nice if Mono would work 100% natively on linux with 0% less featuritis.  Although I will probably not fucking work with it.

And, in my experiance, developing for windows is HORRIBLE. But whattayouknow, I'm biased 8)

What do Bill Gates and Steve Jobs have in common? They both are fucking marketing geniuses, each in their own way...

God wrote:

#6 2013-08-25 21:23:39

V.R.
receive {_, _} -> void.

Java and Python are apples and oranges. Java started off as a hyper-idealistic project from its very conception, a project to create a purportedly simple one-world programming language and development platform that could be deployed on any system running a JVM, on any conceivable architecture without the need of recompilation, debugging and porting. It's based on C++ design principles, but with highly verbose syntax and awkward style of object-oriented programming.

Python was just a Dutch guy hacking along, inspired by previous programming languages he had seen and used in his life, and sharing his work. For the most part, that was it, but the inherent simplicity of the language caught on and it's been a sensation since then. Its syntax is not exclusively based on C, but more closely to the obscure ABC language that Van Rossum worked with.

#7 2013-08-25 22:21:04

HeartofShadows
What do you know of... Cthulhu?

aCol wrote:

1. Our operating system is so superior people pirate it (ahahaha no, the only reason its pirated is
because most games only work on this piece of shitware), so we include these cool licensing features.
FUCK YOU M$! And M$ policies remind me of the 10 laws of god.

The main reason I still have windows on my pc.

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never bothered me a bit."

Mark Twain

#8 2013-08-26 00:27:06

loon_attic
Banned

Wine is pretty cool for a lot of games if you have the right video card, but you still basically need command line skills and dicking around to get anywhere in Lunix, IMO.

I guess you could theoretically use Mint or something without ever "opening" a terminal emulator... until something breaks, or doesn't work.

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

#9 2013-08-26 00:49:56

V.R.
receive {_, _} -> void.

Hey, fuck you, I used Mint for 9 months and my VTE was constantly open.

Yeah, I totally understand that. Although I find that learning basic command-line troubleshooting and debugging actually becomes easier than solutions in Windows, which involve sifting through the non-intuitive control panel, patching DLLs and binaries and editing values in a pseudo-filesystem (registry).

Also third-party applications like PlayOnLinux and Winetricks make Wine usage much easier. Personally I don't use PlayOnLinux, but it can be very useful for newbies and it helps shatter the age-old "LINDUX NO GOT GAEMZ" argument. Winetricks is nifty though, for quick tweaks.

#10 2013-08-26 03:48:03

loon_attic
Banned

I'd totally use Mint if I wasn't used to dwm and if it wasn't such a pain in the dick to update (if it still is...).

I just mentioned it because it comes with a good configuration and hardware support out of the box, and has plenty of GUI utilities.

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

#11 2013-08-26 05:38:09

absentinsomniac
Administrator

Meh, I actually prefer working in the command line these days anyway, except for like moving around LOTS of files and shit. As far as wine goes, I think it's bretty good but the main problem with it, and with linux in general is that companies are huge faggots about writing goddamn drivers that are on par with windows drivers for hardware, or like, opening up their source so that open-source alternative drivers work as well. I think.

Fucc

#12 2013-08-26 05:39:50

loon_attic
Banned

Yeah...
Unless you're lucky, you basically have to buy hardware for Linux/BSD/whatever for it to really work well, for games at least. And good luck with that.
AFAIK the nVidia *nix drivers are pretty good.

sloth wrote:

#13 2013-08-26 07:14:18

sloth
WITNESS ME

Drivers have gotten a lot better since Ubuntu 7.xx (that was the version I started out with). While I couldn't actually use wlan too well a few years back, the USB Wlan dongles now are supported OOTB. Also, I don't think comparing python to java is like comparing apples to oranges. They are both interpreted languages...

Anyways, microsofts policies regarding downgrades etc still suck. They should just make their OS open source. I WANT XP OPEN SOURCE! FORCE THEM TO MAKE XP OPEN SOURCE!

God wrote:

#14 2013-08-27 17:23:11

loon_attic
Banned

If only ReactOS didn't suck...

sloth wrote:

#15 2013-08-27 20:47:54

absentinsomniac
Administrator

it's because there aren't enough DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS

Fucc

#16 2013-08-27 21:11:52

V.R.
receive {_, _} -> void.

That or few developers are really willing to work on a broken clone of a 32-bit graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system originally written for a 4-bit microprocessor by a 2-bit company who can't handle 1 bit of competition.

#GOD #SUX #EUPHORIA

#17 2013-08-27 22:09:35

absentinsomniac
Administrator

That was pretty good 5/5

Fucc

#18 2013-08-28 01:09:14

V.R.
receive {_, _} -> void.

It's an old joke.

#19 2013-08-28 01:33:23

absentinsomniac
Administrator

Ah.

Fucc

#20 2013-08-28 06:46:52

loon_attic
Banned

it's still pretty ok 4/5

sloth wrote:

#21 2013-08-28 08:36:52

sloth
WITNESS ME

And now we know why windows is so slow...

God wrote:

Board footer