Topic: Mafia Noir

The premise of this game is two rival mobs of 1920s bootleggers (the Chicago Outfit and the North Side Gang) are being hunted by the Town.

To make room for a bit of strategy (role-claiming and false-claiming by the Mafia), I'll let you know what some of the roles are. Each Mafia will have a Godfather (shows up as innocent when investigated), a Roleblocker (at night, can prevent a chosen player from being able to use their special ability) and, if I get enough players, a simple Goon.

Who is on the side of the Town largely depends on how many people choose to play, but there will almost certainly be a Detective (just a noir name for the Cop) and a Doctor. Hopefully I will add a Vigilante, a Miller (shows up as pro-Mafia during investigations), and a pro-Town Roleblocker. There will be a twist where one of these roles will not be as they appear to be, and only one other player will know the truth.

As there are lots of players capable of killing in this setup, we will need a minimum of ten players if we want the game to last at least a few game days. Preferably more. I'll probably add some Bulletproof Townies.

Re: Mafia Noir

Don't fuck this up. I'm in.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

God wrote:

A surprising amount of insight can be gleamed from sitting on the toilet. More concerning, however, is the amount of nostalgia. neutral

When in doubt, move north. God bless suomi.

I'll try now. There's a chance I'll get admitted to a hospital. If that happens, I'll hand over moderator duties to someone else.

And I didn't really explain why it's noir. It has to do with the secret role.

in

Ah, finally, a game with rival clans.

I'm in.

"Humanity Is Overrated" - Shrek

I'm in

I'm in. I've always wanted to play Mafia.

8 (edited by The 2014-01-05 08:40:16)

One thing I hope to do is get past what is called the RVS (Random Voting Stage) this game. The purpose of randomly voting somebody is to start discussion to the point where you start to get your own suspicions, i.e., entirely what makes the game fun. There's no formula for ending the RVS, but in my experience, people ask questions to each other about what they're doing in the game (e.g., why did you vote him?) until people actually start to find evidence of scum. What is or isn't evidence is subjective to each person.

EDIT: Also, would anyone rather see a different setting for a noir-themed Mafia game? Most of the classic film noir takes place in the 40s and 50s, and for some reason they're mostly in Los Angeles, even though a film noir cliche is constant rain. Or does everyone like the Al Capone bootlegging story?

Mafia is more fun in real life, fyi.

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

https://i.imgur.com/WsEkePS.png

Wes wrote:

Mafia is more fun in real life, fyi.

VOTE: Wes

Still fun?

VOTE WES

vote luiz

God wrote:

A surprising amount of insight can be gleamed from sitting on the toilet. More concerning, however, is the amount of nostalgia. neutral

...what's going on?

So far we've got

aCol
Chanku
Sharpie
SwiftEscudo
V.R.

I don't want to have to settle for less than ten players. Please consider joining, Mafia can be played at your own leisure. If you're inactive, I can just replace you and you don't have to play anymore.

Why don't you just be a real gangster

Because cops don't lynch people off of hunches in real life like they do in Mafia.

Bump. I'd still like to have at least ten players.

Go back to hyperspace.

God wrote:

The is a shitty host, anyway.

To get the ball rolling, I offer players a chance to elect their own moderator. You can vote for a moderator when you sign up, and if you've already signed up, you can vote for one too. The winner, which probably won't be me, will get a PM saying what the secret role was, but it's their game. They make the rules, not me.

Keep in mind, if you're skeptical of the activity level of the game, that players who don't contribute will be replaced by a willing participant. If Bob the Jailkeeper doesn't contribute to the discussion for a certain time frame (72 hours sound good?) and Bill is willing to take his place, Bill will become Bill the Jailkeeper and Bob will no longer be in the game.

Mafia was a fun game that a lot of members enjoyed playing. If it is revitalized with some strategy offered to the Town, I believe it could be one of the best sources of fun and creativity on this forum (and butthurt if we can get out of RVS). If that can only be accomplished without me as the moderator, then it would be a dick move to force the players to accept me as one.

#VOTE V.R. BEST MAFIA HOST 2014