Dank n Edgy

The dorkest, edgist forums known to puny hoomans

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to DnE, the online psych facility. (Run by the inmates, for the inmates.)

#1 2014-08-14 04:26:04

Potato

machines are coming for your jobs

#2 2014-08-14 04:28:25

loon_attic
Banned

Re: machines are coming for your jobs

if the economy isn't a faggot, this could potentially improve rather than diminish average life quality

emphasis on the economy not being a faggot, which probably isn't going to happen

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

#3 2014-08-14 04:31:06

sloth
WITNESS ME

LOON_ATTIC wrote:

if the economy isn't a faggot, this could potentially improve rather than diminish average life quality

emphasis on the economy not being a faggot, which probably isn't going to happen

Just give communism a second chance. Or not.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

God wrote:

A surprising amount of insight can be gleamed from sitting on the toilet. More concerning, however, is the amount of nostalgia. neutral

When in doubt, move north. God bless suomi.

#4 2014-08-14 04:34:39

loon_attic
Banned

the irony of communism only working when no one has to work
90% of the population is on a constant vacation, 10% are scientists or some shit, perhaps incentivized by more money.
wat
i dunno
it'd be a really really long time before something like that could happen, and if robots are essentially the guvmint it'd be scary as fuck

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

#5 2014-08-14 04:45:54

sloth
WITNESS ME

Nah, you'd just say "I need this" in an online system and robots would built it and send it per Amazon.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

God wrote:

A surprising amount of insight can be gleamed from sitting on the toilet. More concerning, however, is the amount of nostalgia. neutral

When in doubt, move north. God bless suomi.

#6 2014-08-14 05:12:01

absentinsomniac
Administrator

I talked about this years ago... Definitely some form of distributive system will come in play. Corporations will fight tooth and nail to try to keep building absurd amounts of profits, but guess what? If we get to a point where there's 25 percent + unemployment, nobody will be paying for their products anyway and thus the price must drop drastically. The only plausible solution is ramping up a form of social security combined with higher taxes for corporations who own production, which is what I advocated in my thread on this on old /ss/. Like lunatic pointed out, however, there will be a huge battle against corporate and government because we're going to get to a point where pattern matching and privacy renders everything predictable. People are just machines, mind you, and with a big enough data-set and eventual medical advances it may (probably will) become possible to get ourselves into a sort of pre-crime situation.

Welcome to the  21st century, let the battle begin. :)

Fucc

#7 2014-08-14 05:14:14

V.R.
receive {_, _} -> void.

lel fuck off Luddites go back to the Dark Ages this is progress here

"Humanity Is Overrated" - Shrek

#8 2014-08-14 05:41:00

Potato

#9 2014-08-14 05:57:56

TheWake
Illuminatus Sacerdos

The economy has dealt with mechanization before. It will continue to deal with it. The world will not end. It's honestly not even worth a huge post, just look at the record of history.

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

WsEkePS.png

#10 2014-08-14 06:02:29

V.R.
receive {_, _} -> void.

Wes is right. It's not machines we should be worrying about, it's Mexicans.

spics_image11.jpg

#11 2014-08-14 06:06:38

absentinsomniac
Administrator

Wes wrote:

The economy has dealt with mechanization before. It will continue to deal with it. The world will not end. It's honestly not even worth a huge post, just look at the record of history.

This point was addressed if we're to take the facts stated in the video at face value... It's pretty simple, if technology replaces humans in the market at a faster rate than new jobs come into existence, we will be marginalized. Especially if robots can literally eventually do anything humans can.

Fucc

#12 2014-08-14 06:19:02

Potato

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz-3WDdqbj0[/video]

once there is real AI, literally no jobs will require humans any more.

#13 2014-08-14 06:20:54

absentinsomniac
Administrator

From what I've been told by a few academics, and this might not be true, true AI is way off and it's basically just used as a means to get a bunch of rich people to donate to computer science. It's an interesting field, but "true" AI from what I've read is pretty far off. You can do a lot of stuff that looks like real AI though with regular comp sci.

Fucc

#14 2014-08-14 06:25:22

TheWake
Illuminatus Sacerdos

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall … who-cares/

So we’ve two possibilities here. Either the machines do everything and we humans have everything without having to do anything. Pretty cool outcome I think, again as I mention above. Ford introduces the other possibility: the machines don’t in fact produce anything because no one has any income to buy any of it. Erm, in which case there are lots and lots of jobs available because there’s lots of humans who want things, the machines aren’t making any of them and so humans must.

WsEkePS.png

#15 2014-08-14 06:29:27

absentinsomniac
Administrator

Wes wrote:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall … who-cares/

So we’ve two possibilities here. Either the machines do everything and we humans have everything without having to do anything. Pretty cool outcome I think, again as I mention above. Ford introduces the other possibility: the machines don’t in fact produce anything because no one has any income to buy any of it. Erm, in which case there are lots and lots of jobs available because there’s lots of humans who want things, the machines aren’t making any of them and so humans must.

I don't understand the reasoning behind the second "possibility".

Fucc

#16 2014-08-14 06:42:52

TheWake
Illuminatus Sacerdos

That's the doomsday prediction.

WsEkePS.png

#17 2014-08-14 06:52:49

absentinsomniac
Administrator

Wes wrote:

So there's these huge excess factories that could make shit, but don't because there's no buyers? I feel like we would just be like "eat ass" and take over factories through vote or force or some shit.

Fucc

#18 2014-08-14 06:55:29

TheWake
Illuminatus Sacerdos

absentinsomniac wrote:
Wes wrote:

So there's these huge excess factories that could make shit, but don't because there's no buyers? I feel like we would just be like "eat ass" and take over factories through vote or force or some shit.

I feel like that wouldn't happen to begin with.

WsEkePS.png

#19 2014-08-14 06:56:12

RammsteinFearFactory
A new era has begun.

absentinsomniac wrote:
Wes wrote:

This point was addressed if we're to take the facts stated in the video at face value... It's pretty simple, if technology replaces humans in the market at a faster rate than new jobs come into existence, we will be marginalized. Especially if robots can literally eventually do anything humans can.

This. We will see a mass job shortage for most of the human population. I'd imagine they'd replace manual labour quite fast.

Neo-Luddism will likely emerge. We will need to adapt to this climate to ensure it doesn't lead to mass unemployment.

a.

#20 2014-08-14 06:58:11

absentinsomniac
Administrator

Who cares if we're unemployed as long as we're comfortable? We'll find other things to do that don't necessarily involve buying and selling. The human experience is more than "jobs" and what we call "work".

Fucc

#21 2014-08-14 07:15:41

V.R.
receive {_, _} -> void.

Potato wrote:

once there is real AI, literally no jobs will require humans any more.

There's no such thing as "real AI", you mean strong AI.

Strong AI is a pipe dream that hasn't been taken seriously by any AI researcher worth their salt for decades now. It's only a talking point for transhumanists, sci-fi nerds, singularity fags and other technological illiterates to salivate over.

#22 2014-08-14 07:18:13

loon_attic
Banned

i would only expect strong AI to happen once computing is powerful enough for human brains to be emulated in real time.
Maybe in a century or two... but fuck if I know, if ever.

sloth wrote:

#23 2014-08-14 07:22:35

SaintVicious
Jewing Intensifies

hopefully we can all be like the people in Wall-E

#24 2014-08-14 07:32:51

RammsteinFearFactory
A new era has begun.

SaintVicious wrote:

hopefully we can all be like the people in Wall-E

We can all be fat and live in a giant spaceship? I'm up for that.

a.

#25 2014-08-14 07:33:04

absentinsomniac
Administrator

Which is what I was saying, mostly comp-sci departments use AI as a talking point to get funding XD

Shh, don't tell anyone or we won't get as many grants.

Fucc

Board footer