Topic: "Nerd culture" as the latest incarnation of Western dualism

1. For this post, nerd culture is defined through the fetishization of pop culture and science, as seen in programs like The Big Bang Theory or Tyson's remake of Cosmos.

2. Nerd culture has taken over, so much so that it's arguably become the dominant form of American culture in recent years. Movies based off of comic books are ubiquitous, graphic novels are hip, and binge-watching television series is suddenly seen as a normal act in recent years. As for "science" (not the method itself, but the image present in Facebook pages and popular discourse), people routinely "cite studies" they read online or share goofy images from I Fucking Love Science on social media platforms.

3. Nerd culture is the latest incarnation of culture under both post-Fordist capitalism and the Spectacle. It is based around consumerism - buy the complete comic set/DVD series/card game/whatever - and its morality system is tetherless and nonprescriptivist. Science doesn't prescribe, it just tells. This is the perfect religion for late capitalism, as it doesn't interfere with the current status quo.

4. The fetishization of pop culture and pop science is a schizophrenic strategy for attempting to reorder society and produce meaning in a world where religion and statism are largely discredited. It's schizophrenic in the sense that it bounces back and forth between the opposites of absolute significance (science) and absolute insignificance (entertainment/fiction).

5. This strategy is a further incarnation and evolved form of Western dualism: not only is there mind and body (considered as completely separate by dualists), but now a degree of separation is considered in what is seen as truth (science), and what is seen as entertainment (pop culture).

6. This dualistic split bankrupts both, and on average, likely makes people feel sad and aimless. Science without a supporting narrative is just numbers (meaningless), and entertainment without "truth is just like bubblegum: tasty, but certainly not nutritious.

7. This tendency was probably latent throughout most of the 20th century, but religion clung on until the bitter end, stifling it.

8. Ultimately, nerd culture, like all culture, is an attempt to deal with and solve the human condition and produce meaning. Unlike most cultures, however, which do this with " true stories" (religion or cult spirituality), nets culture tries to achieve its aims by segregating what it considers its stories and truths. Stories without truth are probably what allow Spectacles to manifest themselves in the first place. In other words, a culture based around a Greek/Abrahamic/Buddhist/whatever cosmology can exist on JUST those myths for centuries, maybe even millennia. Modernity, on the other hand, needs thousands of movies, blogs, and books to quell its hunger for just a single year. This is, really interestingly, great for capitalism, because the hunger for spiritual wholeness and concrete narratives can produce thousands of different kinds of jobs, keeping the economies running smoothly. If religion was the opiate of the masses, entertainment is a fistful of NSAIDS taken to stop the headaches resulting from withdrawal. It takes away a bit of the pain, but the stomachs of the dispossessed slowly trickle with blood.

Re: "Nerd culture" as the latest incarnation of Western dualism

BTW, when my friend writes about "truth", he isn't describing such a category as an objective designation, but more so as a subjective thing that people wish to believe is an absolute truth. For example, an Athenian citizen of 500 BC might not have thought that Dionysus or Hades were real in the physical sense, but that those deities could exist in such a way that precludes physical manifestation.

Science without a supporting narrative is just numbers (meaningless)

Nice try, Mao.

Either way, the whole "nerd culture" (which is a misleading label to say the least) thing is just a natural progression of lower culture being more sharply represented after most of the world deposed of (or significantly reformed) their monarchies, beginning at the 20th century.

As consumer devices and web applications have become so central to the life of First World inhabitants, we're in a trend of fetishizing the surface aspects of "nerdiness" or whatever without engaging in hard science or engineering.

It comes and goes.

"Humanity Is Overrated" - Shrek

Would binge watching really be considered part of Nerd culture or just the fact that recent innovations have allowed us to watch our favorite shows without commercials, without waiting for the 1 day a week at a specific time for it to air, and the fact we have ultimate control over our watching experience(I mean you could binge watch during breaks or even workouts if you use a tablet or such mobile devices. You need to take a piss? bring the tablet to bathroom with ya!)

And where does internet piracy fit in? Who needs to "Buy" a complete set or series when you could just...duplicate it. The only time you might want a physical copy is if that's your personal want.

"Creepy crazy fucking idiot Nr. 873894532"-aCol

Wes wrote:

^^ funny
this guy
the most well written and verbose shitposter on the internet

fuck sociology

Oh, boy this again. I think you need better friends Mael.

2. Nerd culture has taken over, so much so that it's arguably become the dominant form of American culture in recent years. Movies based off of comic books are ubiquitous, graphic novels are hip, and binge-watching television series is suddenly seen as a normal act in recent years. As for "science" (not the method itself, but the image present in Facebook pages and popular discourse), people routinely "cite studies" they read online or share goofy images from I Fucking Love Science on social media platforms.

And this is bad why? I mean, culture is retarded in general etc.. etc... but there are worse subcultures out there. Just watch MTV nowadays and you'll find plenty of them. Also, people have cited studies in conversation long before internet. Baby boomers like to cite bullshit "studies" they saw on the news all the time this is nothing new.

Now if you are talking about the subculture of nerds turning to "LOL I'M QUIRKY SUCH A NURD CAKE IS A LIEXDDD", well that has been going on long before the big bang theory. Every big counterculture ever such as atheism, gaming, memes, etc... have an inevitable cycle as follows:
>a few social outcasts found set counterculture that normies either don't care about or look down on members of said culture as losers
>counterculture gets ever more popular
>normies see this is now popular and decide to join counterculture thus turning it to shit in the process.

This is not a new concept.

3. Nerd culture is the latest incarnation of culture under both post-Fordist capitalism and the Spectacle. It is based around consumerism - buy the complete comic set/DVD series/card game/whatever - and its morality system is tetherless and nonprescriptivist. Science doesn't prescribe, it just tells. This is the perfect religion for late capitalism, as it doesn't interfere with the current status quo.

"ITS MUH CAPITALISMS FAULT!!!111one" KEEPIN US DOWN!!!'' So science is now a part of the EBIL BUSHWAZEE OPPRESSION CONSPIRACY too? topkek
You know what? This is pure speculation on my part, but maybe the reason your friend there is anti-science is because there is no scientific justification or reason for 3rd world whateverism. And he uses the word "religion" very loosely. And if science and capitalism are religions by that broad definition, then I would say leftism is definitely a religion.

4. The fetishization of pop culture and pop science is a schizophrenic strategy for attempting to reorder society and produce meaning in a world where religion and statism are largely discredited. It's schizophrenic in the sense that it bounces back and forth between the opposites of absolute significance (science) and absolute insignificance (entertainment/fiction).

I wouldn't say religion is discredited completely by quite everyone yet. Statism is not really discredited by anyone except the ancaps and anarchists. And I'm not sure what "meaning" is or the point he is trying to make. Now pursuit of knowledge about the natural world (science) is perfectly fine and worthwhile IMO I fail to see why it is inherently bad.

8. Ultimately, nerd culture, like all culture, is an attempt to deal with and solve the human condition and produce meaning. Unlike most cultures, however, which do this with " true stories" (religion or cult spirituality), nets culture tries to achieve its aims by segregating what it considers its stories and truths. Stories without truth are probably what allow Spectacles to manifest themselves in the first place. In other words, a culture based around a Greek/Abrahamic/Buddhist/whatever cosmology can exist on JUST those myths for centuries, maybe even millennia. Modernity, on the other hand, needs thousands of movies, blogs, and books to quell its hunger for just a single year. This is, really interestingly, great for capitalism, because the hunger for spiritual wholeness and concrete narratives can produce thousands of different kinds of jobs, keeping the economies running smoothly. If religion was the opiate of the masses, entertainment is a fistful of NSAIDS taken to stop the headaches resulting from withdrawal. It takes away a bit of the pain, but the stomachs of the dispossessed slowly trickle with blood.

I'm still not really seeing the issue here. And the fact that so called "modernity" needs all these blogs, books, and movies, well shouldn't that be a good thing? The fact that we don't all just believe the same ancient bible, but instead we are constantly learning and self-actualizing trying to find better answers? "Lol no Gore that's all bad becuz capitalism stop that".

Oh, and I almost forgot the mandatory quote:
"Economics? The study of allocating scarce resources is clearly a fascist bourgeois plot to oppress the common man. If we banned production and only ate easily accessible wild berries, we would finally be liberated." -Wes

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/813/215/366.gif
my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmcMLs … CNoiL7eX1g
my deviantart: http://purpledrank666.deviantart.com/

SS official oldfaf.
fuck SS
"A friend with weed is a friend indeed" -Sharpie

"Honestly censorship Is good though it protects women and children" -Absent

"Not everybody think the free market be like it does, but it do." -white economics man

ayyyy, is your friend Guy Debord?

https://egalitarianvideogamejerk.wordpr … g-volcano/

I guess this is a good article.

sloth wrote:

Comfy does not provide challenge, challenge provides success, success provides happiness. Our world is not comfy, although we tried to make it so. Slaves of our own inventions, yada, yada. Not only on a technological level, also on a social and political level. Nothing more but apes. Apes with psychosomatic disorders.

you rarely come across such a beautiful plate of word salad with bullshit

4. The fetishization of pop culture and pop science is a schizophrenic strategy for attempting to reorder society and produce meaning in a world where religion and statism are largely discredited.

90% of the world is religious so religion is not even close to "largely discredited." and nerd culture is not the result of "strategy" and attempts to "reorder society." it's a self-emergent phenomenon lmao

5. This strategy is a further incarnation and evolved form of Western dualism: not only is there mind and body (considered as completely separate by dualists), but now a degree of separation is considered in what is seen as truth (science), and what is seen as entertainment (pop culture).

6. This dualistic split bankrupts both, and on average, likely makes people feel sad and aimless. Science without a supporting narrative is just numbers (meaningless), and entertainment without "truth is just like bubblegum: tasty, but certainly not nutritious.

yea. newton was considered an entertainer back in the day. nowadays people believe that there is a difference between science and entertainment and it makes them sad. seems legit

It's schizophrenic in the sense that it bounces back and forth between the opposites of absolute significance (science) and absolute insignificance (entertainment/fiction).

^the type of shit that makes people sad. it's actually a bit schizophrenic to be making these two assertions in the same list.

Modernity, on the other hand, needs thousands of movies, blogs, and books to quell its hunger for just a single year. This is, really interestingly, great for capitalism, because the hunger for spiritual wholeness and concrete narratives can produce thousands of different kinds of jobs, keeping the economies running smoothly.

the economy depends on the production of commodities, jobs is just a necessary evil. thinking that job creation is what keeps the economy running is called the ditch digger's fallacy. and an average christian probably consumes as much entertainment as an average atheist. increased efficiency in more basic parts of the economy is what allows more people to specialize in entertainment, not some imagined decline of religion.

gore wrote:

Every big counterculture ever such as [...] memes

i just about lost it

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

https://i.imgur.com/WsEkePS.png

>2015
>still thinking that consumerism is a problem

yeah fuck those people who buy things to enjoy life

SwiftEscudo wrote:

>2015

WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT DID YOU DO WITH THE COMMUNIST WE KNOW AND LOVE???

It appears Swift has taken an ice pick to the back of the head and has suffered major brain trauma. I'm afraid he'll die soon just as trotsky did.
Rest in peace  SwiftEscudo.

V.R. wrote:
gore wrote:

Every big counterculture ever such as [...] memes

i just about lost it

Memefags do count as a counterculture whether we like it or not. Obviously, it's gone far past cancerous.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/813/215/366.gif
my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmcMLs … CNoiL7eX1g
my deviantart: http://purpledrank666.deviantart.com/

SS official oldfaf.
fuck SS
"A friend with weed is a friend indeed" -Sharpie

"Honestly censorship Is good though it protects women and children" -Absent

"Not everybody think the free market be like it does, but it do." -white economics man

Wes wrote:
SwiftEscudo wrote:

>2015

still commie, just not an edgy hippie anarcha-communist-primitivist-jewish-niggerist

i don't think that there's anything wrong with ordinary people buying things besides essentials to enjoy life (regardless of the socio-economic/political system) and i don't see that as incompatible with marxism (heck, this idea of anti-consumerism being retarded was established in a debate among marxists)

16 (edited by RedOak 2015-03-09 11:17:38)

SwiftEscudo wrote:
Wes wrote:
SwiftEscudo wrote:

>2015

still commie, just not an edgy hippie anarcha-communist-primitivist-jewish-niggerist

i don't think that there's anything wrong with ordinary people buying things besides essentials to enjoy life (regardless of the socio-economic/political system) and i don't see that as incompatible with marxism (heck, this idea of anti-consumerism being retarded was established in a debate among marxists)

Except that in capitalism consumerism is taken to an extreme. Now I'd be a hypocrite if I said I'm "anti-consumerism", but the destructiveness of capitalism's consumerism is all too environmentally,Socially,and culturally destructive. I have no issue with people buying luxury/or entertainment items,but we need to move past this current consumer mentality we have.

SuperComrade wrote:
SwiftEscudo wrote:
Wes wrote:
SwiftEscudo wrote:

>2015

Except that in capitalism consumerism is taken to an extreme. Now I'd be a hypocrite if I said I'm "anti-consumerism", but the destructiveness of capitalism's consumerism is all too environmentally,Socially,and culturally destructive. I have no issue with people buying luxury/or entertainment items,but we need to move past this current consumer mentality we have.

capitalism's biggest problems are caused through production, not consumption

Memes cannot be countercultural, by definition.

19 (edited by Potato 2015-03-09 19:26:23)

counterculture "a culture with values and customs are very different from and usually opposed to those accepted by most of society; also : the people who make up a counterculture"

that's a pretty vague definition that certain types of memes could fit in. rage comics for example reject the values of competence in drawing and spelling. but people who read rage comics don't have to abide by those values outside of the meme, so it depends on whether you define culture as a collection of norms and values or as a group of people.

and it makes more sense to define culture as a set of norms and values

if an american goes to japan on vacation and speaks Japanese and acts like a Japanese while there, he is participating in Japanese culture. if a normal capitalist guy goes online and decides to start writing communist propaganda for lolz, he is participating in a counterculture. so, if a normal guy who writes with perfect spelling goes online to make rage comics, it can be argued that he is participating in a counterculture.

but this whole debate like most of sociology is fundamentally bullshit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Alder … aser_sword
https://bainite.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/newtonwithlightsaber.jpeg

SwiftEscudo[/quote wrote:

capitalism's biggest problems are caused through production, not consumption

I fully agree with that. Consumerism is a symptom.

Humans are the disease!

Wes wrote:

^^ funny
this guy

http://www.salon.com/2013/12/22/ad_absu … e_america/

Actually, this wasn’t what Karl Marx was talking about. The idea that mass affluence posed grave perils for the bourgeois soul was mostly associated with American social critics during the great postwar boom. This was what William H. Whyte was talking about in “The Organization Man,” and what Paul Goodman was talking about in “Growing Up Absurd,” and what Charles Reich was talking about in “The Greening of America.”

I don't really see consumerism itself being that high on the priorities list. We have bigger fish to fry. Next time we find ourselves in a widely affluent state of affairs (e.g a universal boom), then maybe it'd be a good idea to focus on "problems of the soul" like buying too much shit being bad 4 u as a reel purson or w/e, but as far as social woes go, I don't think it's the primary issue here. As an individual, if you want to take inventory and decide to get rid of some of your excess, go 5 it, though.

This year, I declare the creation of the "Cult of Black Friday" where we worship the all mighty dollar and it's immense godly powers.

Wes wrote:

^^ funny
this guy

SwiftEscudo wrote:
Wes wrote:
SwiftEscudo wrote:

>2015

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say anything of this sort can be established.

But I knew full and well that you're still a communist.